• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I knew CMC had a lot of touches, but yikes....

Zod

12 minutes ago, Floppin said:

This may sound callous but I'm entirely fine with running CMC into the ground while he's young. His skill set is only going to decline as he gets older, especially considering how much his game relies on speed and shiftiness. 

As he ages his effectiveness is only going to reduce regardless of if we limit his touches or not. We might hasten that by a year or two but that's all hypothetical. The window for his prime effectiveness is pretty limited so you might as well use it while you can. 

I was going to say the exact same thing. His elite shiftiness and speed isn’t going to last into his 30’s. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, joemac said:

Literally any football coach on the planet would feed CMC if they had him on their team.  Hes one of the top 3 players in the league on offense.  You give him all he can handle. 

If you’re a competent coach you’d be able to do it without one single player aside from QB. Playoff teams spread it around.

I think it’s becoming clear this coaching staff planned to just feed cmc and ignore the oline. This will not turn out well for the Panthers or cmc.

If the team can’t win a game without their RB (which it appears) a huge problem.

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Rhule would be getting criticism for not using him when everyone sees how bad other running backs are compared to his impact. 30 touches with a significant portion of them being receptions really isn't a ton. There was a time when most RBs were getting 30+ carries consistently and against much more physical defenses who were allowed to play D. I'm not worried about McCaffrey's workload at all. The injuries last year were fluky, had nothing to do with workload, and he's shown he can handle the work in the past. 

1 hour ago, frankw said:

He is on pace for 500 touches which would be most in nfl history a record that has been held by James Wilder since 1984. They just paid one of their top wideouts 37 million dollars. Spread the ball around.

?

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That wasn't what you were arguing.

I said 30 touches isn't a ton. It's absolutely not in this context. If he's getting 30 touches every week that's a different story. But when that's one of his highest workload games of his career, I don't bat an eye. 40+ touches in a game is a different story.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The only other options right now are a rookie and a guy we just signed.

As Hubbard transitions to the pro game and Freeman learns the playbook, you'll likely see them get more touches.

The team we are facing this weekend blew the Green Bay Packers off the field with a running game of Alvin Kamara and a 23 year old undrafted running back who had been on their practice squad since 2020. The notion that young guys have to be brought along at a snails pace or can't be trusted early in the season does have some validity but it isn't universal and it isn't an excuse that will get much rope if we have struggles against the Saints.

11 minutes ago, t96 said:

I said 30 touches isn't a ton. It's absolutely not in this context. If he's getting 30 touches every week that's a different story. But when that's one of his highest workload games of his career, I don't bat an eye. 40+ touches in a game is a different story.

For reference 492 touches in 16 games is the current nfl record which averages out to 30 per game. Do you know how many games that Tampa Bay team won? Six.

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

The team we are facing this weekend blew the Green Bay Packers off the field with a running game of Alvin Kamara and a 23 year old undrafted running back who had been on their practice squad since 2020. The notion that young guys have to be brought along at a snails pace or can't be trusted early in the season does have some validity but it isn't universal and it isn't an excuse that will get much rope if we have struggles against the Saints.

The O line already sucks. That is great that NO can play their rookie RB because they have an OL that is not trash. We cannot pull CMC and allow our backs to get Sam killed by missing blocks when our OL already misses them routinely. 

On top of that CMC was basically our entire offense 180+ yards and had the block that allowed Sam to hit Robby for the TD. Im not sure what can be done differently when our OL has a pass block win rate of 20%

7 minutes ago, t96 said:

And...? Did you even read my post? 

You said 30 isn't a ton but that's debatable. Averaged over a season it's a record that has stood for 37 years. In 2019 CMC was averaging 25 touches per game which was most in the nfl that season. So yes in this context 30 is very significant. 40 would be unheard of and absolutely absurd.