• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Davis on Good Morning Football + the Tie Debacle is settled!

EgoDogg

Alright, trying to spin this to not be another Cam thread, so it is a thread on two former Panthers / Panthers legends.

1. Thomas Davis has been on Good Morning Football all week (Monday - Wednesday, today being his last day on) and he has done surprisingly well and I'd be okay with him in the running to replace Nate. I thought he'd be very meh, but much better TV presence than Steve Smith (make that a thread about 3 former Panthers, now), and great chemistry with the team. Check out some of it if you get a chance.

2. Talking about Cam and the possibility of WFT signing him, Schrager mentioned Cam being benched by Rivera for the tie, and TD shut that down immediately. That wasn't a Rivera decision, and it was Gettleman's call.

Hopefully that's enough to get the okay on being a thread about former Panthers in the main forum 

• Pie 9

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Gettleman brought Smitty's vengeance and pettiness to the front office. Way too many of his personnel decisions had the look of a dick measuring contest that he was out to win regardless of whether or not it was in the best interest of the team. I thought it was an awful decision when he was fired, but the more we learn the more I'm glad he got fired. Now, that decision to bring Hurney back... yeah, that's a whole 'nother story.

My sentiments exactly. Top to bottom. Time will tell on Fitterer long term, but right now at least the silver lining of getting Fitterer looks bright.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, CanePantherHornet said:

Gettleman was worse. He handicapped the team several times with no other reason than his arrogance and pride.

The argument on who was worse is almost not worth getting involved in. Gettleman was worse in a lot areas that Hurney was strong, and the vice-versa was true as well. They both had some strengths, such as Hurney in round one, and building a team quick, but the issues with cap management, after round 1, and the loyalty tax were major faults. But Gettleman was better at cap management, being more business first, but he was fuging ruthless, which isn't always a good thing. And bup bup bup. He wants everyone to know he's the boss.

Out of the two, I preferred Hurney, but I put more stock into not being a piece of poo human being. I'm glad to have Fitterer now.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Speaking of dick measuring contests... that should've been one that Rivera was hell-bent to win. He should've told Gettleman to go fug himself. You might assemble the roster, but I manage the roster the roster that you assemble.

He did win it but by the time it was won, the damage was done. Remember how Gettleman like was canned in training camp? And they brought Hurney back in because of his familiarity with the system? Ownership just made a hash of it. 

19 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Gettleman was no better than Hurney he sucked just as much. Should have never cut Steve Smith either, what a dumbass.

moving on from 89 was the right call.  Just handled poorly.  and poorly is how Gettlemen dealt with humans. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 5

4 minutes ago, EgoDogg said:

The argument on who was worse is almost not worth getting involved in. Gettleman was worse in a lot areas that Hurney was strong, and the vice-versa was true as well. They both had some strengths, such as Hurney in round one, and building a team quick, but the issues with cap management, after round 1, and the loyalty tax were major faults. But Gettleman was better at cap management, being more business first, but he was fuging ruthless, which isn't always a good thing. And bup bup bup. He wants everyone to know he's the boss.

Out of the two, I preferred Hurney, but I put more stock into not being a piece of poo human being. I'm glad to have Fitterer now.

He was only good at cap management because he fired the majority of our star player. I get that there's a time to move on and you can't keep everyone, but you have to make smart decisions. Gettleman would cut key parts of the team only to sign horrible contacts like Matt Kalil. What Gettleman did at WR and CB single handedly shot the team in the knee for several seasons. 

Hurney isn't perfect, but I think he's vastly superior to Gettleman. He would draft a complete stud in the first round every single year no matter where he was picking. I don't even really blame him for the cap situation during his 2nd tenture. The general belief at the time was that we could compete so we needed to be spending money to make another run. It's not Hurney's fault that Cam's shoulder died.

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

moving on from 89 was the right call.  Just handled poorly.  and poorly is how Gettlemen dealt with humans. 

right - even 89 said it in an interview or something recently.. it would never be Cam/Luke's team as long as 89 was in the building.. sad that it DID have to happen but MAD at the way it happened..

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1