• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule to USC a possibility?

Cdparr7

37 minutes ago, Floppin said:

I'm gonna say no with pretty much 100% certainty. Now if he gets fired he might go back to college but even then I don't think so unless he flamed out so hard here that there was no interest with other NFL teams. 

100% Agreed. Rhule doesn’t strike me as the type of person to go back on his word, especially when there is 60 million dollars and teppers reputation involved. There is no doubt he will see this contract out if Tepper let’s him. If he doesn’t have a ring and Tepper parts ways I could see him being old enough that college may be his ideal choice after this stint. 

48 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Would he have left Baylor for Carolina for the same amount of money?

Why did he spend the majority of his career at the NCAA level never seeking NFL employment?

He spent 1 year in NY and went back to the NCAA. Marty and Tepper went after him not the other way around.

He said before he came here that his goal was to get back into the NFL and coach at the highest level he can. He is one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL. He is where he wanted to be. Why move back into the college ranks unless he bombs out like Saban did. 

51 minutes ago, Floppin said:

He had interviewed with multiple NFL teams in years prior before landing the job with Carolina. You clearly don't know what you're talking about here. 

51 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

He coached in the NFL previously and interviewed for NFL jobs. Is your entire speculation based on now knowing any facts?

That clearly is the case lol. 

25 minutes ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

I highly doubt Rhule will try for the USC HC job.  The man has been working for an NFL HC job his entire career.  USC is not exactly the most desirable job in college football anymore.  Anyone who gets that job will have their work cut out for them.  USC is no longer the powerhouse it once was.  I mean hell, USC can't even keep top QB prospects in the state anymore.  I.E. Bryce Young, Dj Ugalelei. How are you going to convince prospects like them, that the PAC 12 is where you need to be.  PAC 12 is weak, and an alliance with ACC is only to keep pace with the SEC. So good luck to the next HC at USC.  You're going to need it. 

Players leaving the state is definitely an issue but recruiting is not the main issue

Helton had three top-four classes and two top 10 classes in his 7 years. Most recent 2021 class was ranked 7th with the top player in CA going to USC and the gatorade national player of the year (QB Jaxson Dart) coming in from Utah.  If Helton could recruit, a competent head coach can too. Donte Williams the interim head coach is regarded as a top recruiter on the west and poached Thibodeaux and Justin Flowe out of SoCal to come up to Oregon when he was there. So hopefully he's retained too.

USC's donors and administration will give whoever comes in the resources to succeed.

Just need someone who can actually coach (lol).

Edited by Double Trouble
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

It’s Eric Beinemy’s job to lose. He is pretty much a shoe in.

Really?  Do a little research on the history between USC AD Bohn and Bienimy while at Colorado.  The school cannot afford to have another HC with drinking problems, women beaters and arrests.  In his case, it was 20 years ago, it’s behind him, I hope.  Can’t take the chance with all the bad publicity the school has had.  Besides, the school is looking for a coach with HC experience.

Names thrown out there by agents looking to boost their clients salaries.

Also, Franklin…he was out coached by the guy they just hired, and Sam Darnolds’ performance.

There will be a lot of names out there that will never be offered or looked at.

*Addendum:  as I posted before, the school was very interested in Coach Rhule, we’d love him, but it’s an impossible dream.  He checks all the boxes for us.  

Edited by 1usctrojan

1 hour ago, Cdparr7 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/panthers/.amp/gm-report/could-matt-rhule-be-a-target-for-usc

I’ve said since day one he took this job with the mindset to leave once a big program job in the NCAA came available. I really think his heart is in NCAA football. Say this season is below expectations would he go back to the college level like Saban? What kind of wrench would that throw into this rebuild.

$$$ talks USC can't pay him a 70m deal baseless speculation.

37 minutes ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

I highly doubt Rhule will try for the USC HC job.  The man has been working for an NFL HC job his entire career.  USC is not exactly the most desirable job in college football anymore.  Anyone who gets that job will have their work cut out for them.  USC is no longer the powerhouse it once was.  I mean hell, USC can't even keep top QB prospects in the state anymore.  I.E. Bryce Young, Dj Ugalelei. How are you going to convince prospects like them, that the PAC 12 is where you need to be.  PAC 12 is weak, and an alliance with ACC is only to keep pace with the SEC. So good luck to the next HC at USC.  You're going to need it. 

Haha.  I remember in 2008 on the old ESPN National board (all P5 conference teams represented) Florida and other SEC fans were saying that Alabama would never be relevant again.  They would never be relevant again.  We (SC fans) suggested that they should never claim a traditional blue blood program would be not relevant forever.  Wish I had screen shots of those remarks.

You make a mistake by thinking that USC will never return.  Jimmy Sexton, case in point.

“According to Dr. Saturday, a YahooSports! college football blogger, Nick Saban could have had the USC head coaching job in 1997.

He turned it down on the advice of his agent, Jimmy Sexton, who told him:

Man, you don't want to go to Southern Cal. Nobody wants to send their kids to school in south central LA anymore. I don't see them being a power anymore.

Sexton added that, "to this day," Saban reminds him of the USC comments.

"Every time they're No. 1 or No. 2 or No. 3 in the country, he looks at me and says, 'Jimmy, you still think Southern Cal can't win anymore?'''

• Pie 1