• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule to USC a possibility?

Cdparr7

5 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

$$$ talks USC can't pay him a 70m deal baseless speculation.

USC most definitely can…..alums and boosters want a winner, and USC is one of the top billionaire producing universities in the world.  Get them fed up enough, they COULD do it……will they?  They care too much about academics, fundraising and buying more and more land and adding more schools.

Your response was “can’t pay”, that’s far from true.

2 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

USC most definitely can…..alums and boosters want a winner, and USC is one of the top billionaire producing universities in the world.  Get them fed up enough, they COULD do it……will they?  They care too much about academics, fundraising and buying more and more land and adding more schools.

Your response was “can’t pay”, that’s far from true.

I think they could do it, but I don't even think Rhule wants to do it (more than his current position), so it's a bit moot.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Urban Meyer, no matter what he just said.

I would cease attending games if that happened…what a disgusting amoral man.  AD just said this….

Bohn’s criteria for the next coach

As for what characteristics he’ll be looking for in the next head coach of the Trojans, Bohn didn’t hesitate.

“No question, it’s leadership, high integrity, character, the ability to connect with young men,” Bohn said. “As you all know, our vision is to be the most student-athlete-centered program in the country. So we want somebody that understands the [connection] with young men that are part of this program. And the ability to recruit and bring high-quality character people to USC. And again, to pursue championships.”

Coach Rhule fills all the above, but it will never happen.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

Haha.  I remember in 2008 on the old ESPN National board (all P5 conference teams represented) Florida and other SEC fans were saying that Alabama would never be relevant again.  They would never be relevant again.  We (SC fans) suggested that they should never claim a traditional blue blood program would be not relevant forever.  Wish I had screen shots of those remarks.

You make a mistake by thinking that USC will never return.  Jimmy Sexton, case in point.

“According to Dr. Saturday, a YahooSports! college football blogger, Nick Saban could have had the USC head coaching job in 1997.

He turned it down on the advice of his agent, Jimmy Sexton, who told him:

Man, you don't want to go to Southern Cal. Nobody wants to send their kids to school in south central LA anymore. I don't see them being a power anymore.

Sexton added that, "to this day," Saban reminds him of the USC comments.

"Every time they're No. 1 or No. 2 or No. 3 in the country, he looks at me and says, 'Jimmy, you still think Southern Cal can't win anymore?'''

Ok...so what I got from reading you excerpts, is Nick Saban made the right call in turning down USC in 1997.  Then Saban went on (years later) to create the greatest college football program of all time.  

Gotcha. 

USC is still not a relevant football program, nor for the foreseeable future.

Sorry, but truth hurts. 

• Poo 1

2 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

He coached in the NFL previously and interviewed for NFL jobs. Is your entire speculation based on now knowing any facts?

He was close to being the Jets HC when they brought in Gase

NFL is a better gig if you can get it then college.  Better pay for less work. 

7 minutes ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

Ok...so what I got from reading you excerpts, is Nick Saban made the right call in turning down USC in 1997.  Then Saban went on (years later) to create the greatest college football program of all time.  

Gotcha. 

USC is still not a relevant football program, nor for the foreseeable future.

Sorry, but truth hurts. 

The excerpts points out that you never say a program will never be relevant again.  Of course, he (Saban) made the right choice, someone like Saban would hate L.A., the media demands and all that Coach Carroll did to win the city over, like starting “A Better L.A.”  and his endless energy and charisma.  

2000, Alabama couldn’t bring in a 4 or 5* recruit if the knocked one over the head and dragged them on campus.  Things changed, their history was just too powerful to be down long.

2 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/panthers/.amp/gm-report/could-matt-rhule-be-a-target-for-usc

I’ve said since day one he took this job with the mindset to leave once a big program job in the NCAA came available. I really think his heart is in NCAA football. Say this season is below expectations would he go back to the college level like Saban? What kind of wrench would that throw into this rebuild.

Isn’t he a NE guy? I mean I get that he coached in Texas why would anyone think USC would interest him? They’ve had like 5 coaches (pretty good ones too) since Pete Carroll and have been a dumpster fire. I mean maybe if PSU fired Franklin and then came calling….