• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule explains deactivating Deonte Brown

Zod

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Who knows. We drafted a LS over Trey Smith who had a fantastic RAS score at 321 pounds (not blown off the blocks like Elf). KC got a heckuva steal. Still love the draft before this gaffe but I still can’t comprehend how we were so confident in Erving, Elflein, Paradis and Miller that we only needed BC and Brown, especially when we knew Brown might not even been ready to be active. We best be going OL heavy next year, no excuses.

image.png.8d7d50afe8672e049c583fe8c4497c7c.png

At this point you need to change your user name to Trey Smith.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Floppin said:

Underrated comment. This is exactly the reason.

The staff doesn't see him as versatile enough to be one of the active three OL backups. 

When they're ready to start him is likely when he will be active and only then.

The prob is he's better than 3 of our back ups and really needs to have time to gel. I'm guessing that his weight might be a bigger factor than its being let on because he's a really good guard. 

4 hours ago, OldhamA said:

He was impressive in the pre-season against backups.

This narrative is mental - you've whipped yourselves up into a frenzy over a 6th round RG. It's baffling. 

Chinn, Brown, YGM, Pride and Roy all started at points last season. Horn and Marshall have started this with Tremble and Nixon seeing serious minutes. Hell even Franklin and Hartsfield started last year. 

The best players play. Period.

Right now our highly paid, highly experienced HC and Coaching staff don't think Brown is the best guy. They're the ones that see them practice each day!

This is a great post.  LOTS of our rookies are playing last year and this.  That makes me think Brown's rookie status has nothing to do with him not playing.  He's not good enough yet to start, and isn't versatile enough to backup, makes more sense.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I try to make at least one post a day about him. What’s amazing is that the opportunity presents itself a lot. Based on the OL play, I think I may be able to continue this until week 10 at least. I think about week 11 if the OL sucks threads are still there that the interest in the season will wane and I’ll have to stop.

Now, if we have 4 or less wins at week 13, the pre-draft threads will start popping up. Pretty sure I’ll be able to find a ton of talk about wanting to draft OL and I can pepper those threads with talk about the all-rookie OL that we passed over for a LS. 

I appreciate the commitment to the bit. 

• Pie 1

He dropped 34 pounds from Senior bowl to draft.  WTF does Rhule expect.  Put his big ass on the field if he gets tired.  Sub him out for a series or two. 

Rhule doesn't get it,  Running game is #1.  Brown is clearly the guy you want in the running game.  Open up some damn holes and that opens the play action and wide open receivers.

MATT RHULE stop playing college football and join the NFL. 

• Beer 1

13 hours ago, stbugs said:

Who knows. We drafted a LS over Trey Smith who had a fantastic RAS score at 321 pounds (not blown off the blocks like Elf). KC got a heckuva steal. Still love the draft before this gaffe but I still can’t comprehend how we were so confident in Erving, Elflein, Paradis and Miller that we only needed BC and Brown, especially when we knew Brown might not even been ready to be active. We best be going OL heavy next year, no excuses.

image.png.8d7d50afe8672e049c583fe8c4497c7c.png

popped in to read about stbugs undying love for trey smith.  was not disappointed.

• Beer 1

15 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Then why draft him   If Rhule values conditioning and versatility, that’s not Brown 

He was drafted in the 6th. That's typically where you draft projects, not starters. I'm guessing they saw his performance in college and thought with better conditioning he could be a player in the NFL. They're probably right. It's still early in the season. 

11 hours ago, Snake said:

The prob is he's better than 3 of our back ups and really needs to have time to gel. I'm guessing that his weight might be a bigger factor than its being let on because he's a really good guard. 

Yes, but again he's only better than the backups at his position specifically. He's not versatile enough to have active as a backup so until the team is ready to make him the starter he will, baring some more injuries, be inactive on game day. He's not jelling by sitting the bench regardless and he would be limiting the team's options in the event of an injury on the line that wasn't his specific position.

He's still getting work in practice obviously. 

Edited by Floppin
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1