• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule explains deactivating Deonte Brown

Zod

29 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Meh, he's a rookie and there is still a long season ahead.

If Deonte doesn't see the field before mid season that'll be another subject.

Speaking of long season, I want to believe that the plan was to burn through these FA vets like cord wood before the rookies were expected to start.  Build through the draft and develop your own Yada Yada. 

At first glance these FA vets appear to be soaked in gasoline.  Big boy better get his big ass in shape and ready to go soon.

• Pie 2

42 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Big, big guy playing in this heat and humidity for a full game might not be the best thing for Brown.

Not sure that's the reason, but it would be a good one and looking down the long, long road to that 17th game... we can let him slide for a few weeks.

Then why did we even bother drafting him?

• Flames 1

Ok, I've given him credit for player development and as an in-game tactician, but Rhule is starting to piss me off with this.  Why can't we just get a coach who plays the best player?  PERIOD.  EVER.  It's so frustrating.  Anyone with an inkling of football knowledge knows the guys in front of him are not good at their job, and he was impressive in the preseason when he played.  So, start him, and let Scott and the other versatile guy be the backups in case you need them.  He did this same poo with starting Chris Reed's sorry ass all year last season.  It just gets old...

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

It sounds like they are more concerned with OL that can “play” every position, no matter how bad they are at that position. 

I think they don't want to have 5 OL backups active on gameday.  If Brown can only play right guard, he can only rotate in at RG and can only fill injuries at right guard.  If he has 3 guys that can fill in multiple spots, then we can have more backup corners or receivers or DL etc.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Luciu5 said:

I think they don't want to have 5 OL backups active on gameday.  If Brown can only play right guard, he can only rotate in at RG and can only fill injuries at right guard.  If he has 3 guys that can fill in multiple spots, then we can have more backup corners or receivers or DL etc.

Exactly, they want the backups to be versatile. So if Brown is a one position guy, that makes sense. Would I like to see what Brown can do? Yes. But the logic for the backups is sound 

• Pie 2

Well this is one of those times you trust the coaching staff, the issue is with us fans is doing that in the with past coaching staff.

All I can say about rookies is, there are some positives to holding them back. Put them out there too early and they get beat....many would never rebuild a crushed confidence. Matt spoke about that, let me tell you for a OL getting beat every play will destroy your OL dream. Coaches must believe they have prepared rookies to over-come this. Plus there is knowing the playbook and answering questions during the 5 hour classroom settings. 

All I think is the staff doesnt feel Brown is fully ready, that is a hard sell for fans seeing the RG play....  

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1