• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule explains deactivating Deonte Brown

Zod

40 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

He will be active when he is starting. That's the simple case for a one position backup.

There is slot of truth to this.

People need to remember on game day only 8 OL might be active.

If Erving, Elflein, Paradis, Miller and Moton are starters, who are the 3 backups? And what positions do they back up?  When you look at it like that you can understand why they don’t have him active, even if you don’t agree with them.

Personally i was hoping Elflein could be the back up center then BC and Daley or Scott could cover the LG and the OT spots. Then Brown could just be backup RG and we still would have a good bit of coverage if 1-2 guys were to get hurt.

53 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

He will be active when he is starting. That's the simple case for a one position backup.

Underrated comment. This is exactly the reason.

The staff doesn't see him as versatile enough to be one of the active three OL backups. 

When they're ready to start him is likely when he will be active and only then.

Edited by Floppin
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The other guys suck equally at everything. I guess that's still "versatile".

Well they at least know the various positions and could therefore theoretically play them, whereas Brown can't. It's unfortunate but that's the reality. He'll be inactive until they are ready to start him. I don't know why this is really contraversial.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't already be starting, I think he most likely should be. But there's no point in him being active over a more positionally versatile player if he's not starting.

• Pie 1

Offensive guards average 315 to 325 Lbs.  Deonte conditioned his but off and worked down from 364 to 330.  I believe our guys are being too metric-based and letting certain things cloud their judgement.  I'd at least want Brady C., you know, the 3rd rounder we traded up for with a 1st round guard grade on him, to you know, contribute.  

This is getting really frustrating really quick at important positions when so much of the team has oodles of awesome dripping from the talons.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Not at all. I remember bumping into Norwell when he first got to Charlotte. Huge guy, but athletic, not someone struggling with his weight. He was like Jordan Gross during his time here, chubby around the middle, but only because he needed to be to anchor himself against d linemen. If Deonte still has conditioning issues, then he's a liability, especially if he only plays one position. Hopefully these new sports science guys Rhule uses will get him into game shape fast. 

Then why draft him   If Rhule values conditioning and versatility, that’s not Brown 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

Ok, I've given him credit for player development and as an in-game tactician, but Rhule is starting to piss me off with this.  Why can't we just get a coach who plays the best player?  PERIOD.  EVER.  It's so frustrating.  Anyone with an inkling of football knowledge knows the guys in front of him are not good at their job, and he was impressive in the preseason when he played.  So, start him, and let Scott and the other versatile guy be the backups in case you need them.  He did this same poo with starting Chris Reed's sorry ass all year last season.  It just gets old...

He was impressive in the pre-season against backups.

This narrative is mental - you've whipped yourselves up into a frenzy over a 6th round RG. It's baffling. 

Chinn, Brown, YGM, Pride and Roy all started at points last season. Horn and Marshall have started this with Tremble and Nixon seeing serious minutes. Hell even Franklin and Hartsfield started last year. 

The best players play. Period.

Right now our highly paid, highly experienced HC and Coaching staff don't think Brown is the best guy. They're the ones that see them practice each day!

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

He was impressive in the pre-season against backups.

This narrative is mental - you've whipped yourselves up into a frenzy over a 6th round RG. It's baffling. 

Chinn, Brown, YGM, Pride and Roy all started at points last season. Horn and Marshall have started this with Tremble and Nixon seeing serious minutes. Hell even Franklin and Hartsfield started last year. 

The best players play. Period.

Right now our highly paid, highly experienced HC and Coaching staff don't think Brown is the best guy. They're the ones that see them practice each day!

Best players play? Period? 

This is football we are talking about.   The best players don’t always play.   That broad statement certainly isn’t true. 

we know there are plenty of football coaches are flawed, biased, and dumb quite often. 

I mean every coach and gm we have had to date did dumb stuff…..but this time it’s TOTALLY different?  Odds don’t favor that.  Everyone does dumb things at times.  Football coaches certainly aren’t excluded from that…..just like no one in another profession is.    Name any job on any level…and you can find someone doing something dumb.   Are fans right on this example? Don’t know.  Garbage man to POTUS.  Everyone does dumb stuff from time to time blinded by their own biases and being so close to it. Which you see a fair amount in sports IMO. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Harbingers said:

It sounds like they are more concerned with OL that can “play” every position, no matter how bad they are at that position. 

Exactly, versatility is convenient, but I would take the best player at a specific position on the line more than someone who is below average at several of them.

• Pie 1