• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Graham Gano has now made 34 straight field goals

TN05

1 minute ago, frankw said:

...he was purposely held off the field on long kicks bc Rivera lost trust in him on anything near 50 yards or more.

Clearly that was a major f*ckup on Rivera's part!!

69-for-70 (98.6%) inside 50yds...and 10-for-13 (76.9%) from 50yds+...all over last 48 games...

...that's not good enough for you?

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

Gano was having yip issues towards the end then he got injured and missed an entire season. Everyone was talking about it. Missed extra points and clutch field goals. The last clutch kick I can remember was the 63 yarder against the giants. That was crazy. I’ve never said Gano was horrible or better than Slye. What I was responding to was OP saying he’s made 35 kicks or whatever straight in New York and i didn’t think he would’ve replicated that here. Kicking is a weird mental space. Most kickers need change of scenery when they start getting yips or are injured for an entire year and have a big contract. I get why we moved on. The problem is we haven’t been able to replace the kicker position with someone who is at least decent.

so no I’m not talking about the 3 clutch kicks Graham made in his career here. He had issues here and some of y’all are acting like he was perfect and showing his 35 straight kicks in New York as some sort of justification. 

3 clutch kicks? Man you have an extremely selective memory. He had way more than 3. You can say maybe he wouldn't have continued to be successful if he stayed with the Panthers past his injury, but you straight up said he was "NOT clutch for the Panthers". Your words. That's just a blatantly wrong statement.

• Flames 1

28 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Clearly that was a major f*ckup on Rivera's part!!

69-for-70 (98.6%) inside 50yds...and 10-for-13 (76.9%) from 50yds+...all over last 48 games...

...that's not good enough for you?

Of course his percentage looks better he was the Giants primary scoring weapon last year all they could do was kick field goals. Sound familiar? The only team worse than the Giants at scoring touchdowns were the Jets. Yeah it's great the Gmen have a good kicker but I'm looking to be a contender not a perennial bottom feeder looking for silver linings. We've spent too long settling for field goals anyway. Get to that endzone baby!

• Pie 2

27 minutes ago, hepcat said:

3 clutch kicks? Man you have an extremely selective memory. He had way more than 3. You can say maybe he wouldn't have continued to be successful if he stayed with the Panthers past his injury, but you straight up said he was "NOT clutch for the Panthers". Your words. That's just a blatantly wrong statement.

14 missed kicks in 2015 and 2016. We forget how close some of those games were. 2017 was actually his most accurate season but he had fewer attempts.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

23 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Name them besides the Giants one I already mentioned. Because I seriously can’t remember. The only thing I remember is gano consistently choking on PAT’s and other scenarios where we would’ve won or tied. 2018 was bad. Missed those kicks against Detroit then missed the 52 yarder against Seattle. And 2019 he was out the entire season. Missed a kick in the biggest game of his life in the super bowl and missed the 1st 2016 game against the Broncos that drastically changed our season imo. If I’m wrong I’m wrong but I seriously cannot remember clutch kicks besides the giants and vaguely remember 2 others. I get that kickers are usually judged by their recent kicks so I could have some bias. 

“All said and done, prior to an injury that ended his season early in week 13, Gano attempted only 16 field goals in total, missing two of them, giving him an 88% average on a fairly small sample size. That puts him squarely in the middle of the pack league-wide amongst kickers with at least 10 attempts. However, his 91% extra point percentage is bottom five in the entire league.”

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, frankw said:

Of course his percentage looks better he was the Giants primary scoring weapon last year all they could do was kick field goals. Sound familiar? The only team worse than the Giants at scoring touchdowns were the Jets. Yeah it's great the Gmen have a good kicker but I'm looking to be a contender not a perennial bottom feeder looking for silver linings. We've spent too long settling for field goals anyway. Get to that endzone baby!

I don't think you understand how percentages work.  The more field goals you attempt, the higher your percentage?  Is that what I'm gathering?

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Name them besides the Giants one I already mentioned. Because I seriously can’t remember.

Off the top of my head just thinking about game winners/tying FGs, Bengals in 2014 (made a long FG at the end of regulation to send it to OT and a FG to keep it tied at the end of OT). 2015 against the Colts in OT (two FGs, one to tie and one to win in wet conditions). 2015 against the Giants to win it at the end. 2017 against the Patriots at the end to win it. 

The only last second game winning FG chance I remember him missing was the 2016 Broncos game. Bottom line is he was way more clutch than he wasn't. Saying he wasn't clutch is just wrong, and I guess it's just because everyone here has a bad memory or haven't been fans for very long.

• Flames 1

For what it’s worth Slye has only been in the NFL for two seasons and those first two seasons were better than Gano’s first two seasons. Could be possible Slye recovers and we are back complaining lol.

Sometimes, especially for kickers, players just need a new environment to thrive.

Also while it’s true since Gano left he has been asked to kick more 50+ and 40-49, AND has been doing well at it….historically he was awful from those distances and has less attempts than players who have been in the league half as long as he has.

And those are just documented attempts, not counting the number of times the coach not even trying with him….which is a lot I assume seeing it with Rivera.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I don't think you understand how percentages work.  The more field goals you attempt, the higher your percentage?  Is that what I'm gathering?

I appreciate your subtle intelligence jab but you'll have to break down the attempts and look at what range the bulk of the attempts are from to gain a full understanding. In this instance 14 of his 32 attempts were from the 20-39 range while the remaining were from 40-50 with his one miss being from 50+ which highlights the ineptitude of the Giants offense I have already talked about. But he was not the same kicker here when it was all said and done and we have data to back that up you can look at that here for yourself if you please.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GanoGr44.htm