• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Graham Gano has now made 34 straight field goals

TN05

Important to note that even aside from Gano's struggles here, he was coming off a pretty major surgery when we released him I believe. Was fair to have some concerns about how well he'd fair, along with the salary. But yeah we have completely botched the kicker position in recent years.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, frankw said:

I appreciate your subtle intelligence jab but you'll have to break down the attempts and look at what range the bulk of the attempts are from to gain a full understanding. In this instance 14 of his 32 attempts were from the 20-39 range while the remaining were from 40-50 with his one miss being from 50+ which highlights the ineptitude of the Giants offense I have already talked about. But he was not the same kicker here when it was all said and done and we have data to back that up you can look at that here for yourself if you please.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GanoGr44.htm

I mean if you want to move the goalposts and argue instead that he's padding his numbers with "easy" FGs or something, that's fine...but the numbers still don't support your argument.

So less than half of his attempts were under 39 yards?  Have you compared that to other kickers in the league to see if that's even unusual? 

Let's look at Huddle fan-favorite Harrison Butker: 16 of his 25 attempts were <39 yards.

Justin Tucker: 15 of his 29 attempts were <39 yards.

So yeah maybe it is unusual Gano kicked only 14 of his 32 from <39 yards...perhaps that's relatively low.

Most people (here at least) would probably consider Butker/Tucker as the top 2 kickers in the NFL.  Are they really not that good cause they led inept offenses and padded their numbers with "gimme" FGs?

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I had no issues with moving on from Gano. He sucked on clutch kicks. When it mattered most, he was least reliable. Sure, he's been kicking like a champ with the Giants. They suck. There are no clutch kicks on a sucky team. He's in the perfect situation to shine. Ability was never his issue. He was just a choke artist.

He did have that one bomb against the Giants but other than that I think your correct.

51 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I mean if you want to move the goalposts and argue instead that he's padding his numbers with "easy" FGs or something, that's fine...but the numbers still don't support your argument.

So less than half of his attempts were under 39 yards?  Have you compared that to other kickers in the league to see if that's even unusual? 

Let's look at Huddle fan-favorite Harrison Butker: 16 of his 25 attempts were <39 yards.

Justin Tucker: 15 of his 29 attempts were <39 yards.

So yeah maybe it is unusual Gano kicked only 14 of his 32 from <39 yards...perhaps that's relatively low.

Most people (here at least) would probably consider Butker/Tucker as the top 2 kickers in the NFL.  Are they really not that good cause they led inept offenses and padded their numbers with "gimme" FGs?

Butker and Tucker both play on super bowl contending teams while Gano is with the Giants who are so offensively limited they can barely compete in the East. Do you think there is a difference in the pressure of kicks between those teams? People all but expect the Giants to lose. Not so with the Chiefs and Ravens. The fact that I'm getting posts pooped over Gano who hasn't suited up for the Panthers in three years speaks to the delusion around this subject. This franchise really needs a winning season.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I had no issues with moving on from Gano. He sucked on clutch kicks. When it mattered most, he was least reliable. Sure, he's been kicking like a champ with the Giants. They suck. There are no clutch kicks on a sucky team. He's in the perfect situation to shine. Ability was never his issue. He was just a choke artist.

Lol damn this entire f*cking board has amnesia. How many clutch kicks did Gano really miss? Oh the one against the Broncos in 2016? That’s the only actual game winning field goal I can recall him missing in his entire time with the Panthers. He made all the others he lined up for with the game on the line. Giants and Colts in 2015 he made. Patriots in 2017. Giants in 2018. I guess he wasn’t clutch though.

Moving on from Gano was understandable given his injury but saying he wasn’t clutch is the dumbest trash take the Huddle has taken up this year.

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Lol damn this entire f*cking board has amnesia. How many clutch kicks did Gano really miss? Oh the one against the Broncos in 2016? That’s the only actual game winning field goal I can recall him missing in his entire time with the Panthers. He made all the others he lined up for with the game on the line. Giants and Colts in 2015 he made. Patriots in 2017. Giants in 2018. I guess he wasn’t clutch though.

Moving on from Gano was understandable given his injury but saying he wasn’t clutch is the dumbest trash take the Huddle has taken up this year.

Credit where it's due he did have some clutch kicks for us and I am appreciative of that in particular the one against the Pats. But even Mr. Automatic himself John Kasay is forever in the shithouse of Panthers lore and will remain there until the end of time for his own gaffe despite a plentiful list of clutch kicks over many years. That's the job. Kicker is a very unforgiving position 🤷‍♂️

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, hepcat said:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2020/clutch-kicks-1985-2019

Gano 63% on clutch kicks as of 2019.

Interesting to note, Kasay weighing in even worse at 58%.

Both among the NFL's worst since 1985.

• Poo 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Really would help to know the average distance of the clutch kicks too

2011 Panther Orlando Mare rates pretty high all time on clutch kicks.  

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That data is flawed. They include extra points only after 2015 as “clutch kicks” but 75% of the kickers on the list weren’t kicking 33 yard XPs in their careers. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Butker and Tucker both play on super bowl contending teams while Gano is with the Giants who are so offensively limited they can barely compete in the East. Do you think there is a difference in the pressure of kicks between those teams? People all but expect the Giants to lose. Not so with the Chiefs and Ravens. The fact that I'm getting posts pooped over Gano who hasn't suited up for the Panthers in three years speaks to the delusion around this subject. This franchise really needs a winning season.

I guess it's a matter of opinion on whether you think there's more pressure on you if you're basically carrying your team's offensive output (as you claim Gano has been doing on the Giants) or if you're the kicker of a Super Bowl contender whose average margin of victory was 17.25 points (like with Tucker on the Ravens last year).  Personally I'd say the former but it seems you think the latter.

You can argue the Giants suck and so Gano automatically gets an asterisk on all of his FGs, but yesterday the Giants were just some 0-1 team trying to win a football game against a divisional rival to get their season on the right track so I'd argue his performance yesterday (5-5 on FGs with a long of 55 yards) was pretty f'ing clutch, in spite of the loss.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

a1KD0A6_460s.jpg