• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

top-10 defense?

AU-panther

29 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Question is if our defense is this good or they just played crappy teams with qbs that turned the ball over? Wilson played worse this week. Winston is known for being a turnover machine and Kamara wasn’t used as much as he normally is because they played from behind. With Taylor out our defense could be ranked #1. Personally I think our defense is a lot better than last year but I just am afraid to say how good until we play a good team with a good QB. Jackson and Shaq Thompson look like they are finally the players we hoped they would be. Jackson has really improved, he’s making a lot of big plays and being a leader. Our defensive line is also looking good. Horn might end up being a great CB and we get Bouye back.

We have played a rookie on a bad team and a bad vet on a team without key players, but one thing that should not be overlooked is the Saints are supposed to have an elite O line and our pass rush absolutely bested them today. I think that translates no matter who you are playing against.

Towards the same end Kamara is an undeniable talent and we shut him down running the ball. Will we face stiffer tests as the season progresses? Undoubtedly but based on the first two weeks the D looks legit.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Was just looking it up. 

we are first in passing defense. First in sacks. Fourth in points, first in points per game. First in total yards per game. 

I think we're already guaranteed to be 1st in points allowed through 2 weeks. The only teams that could've theoretically been ahead of us are playing now and have already allowed enough points that we'll be ahead of them.

Just now, bigdavis said:

Our Defense has played 7 quarters, and only allowed scores in 3 of them.

Thus far, I think only Buffalo (who pitched a shutout today,) has done better.

And 8 pts is the most we've surrendered in a quarter.  That, combined with 9 sacks and 2 INTs, is stout.

...and not allowed a single 1H point yet!

8 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

2013 was tough with Luke, and Johnson and Hardy terrorizing offenses, but I think Burns and Reddick may be a even more potent due coming off the edges. 

No one's Luke, but I think this squad's secondary is much more talented than the 2013 team. 

2013 was an all time great D, we were just barely behind the Seahawks who are regarded as an all time great D and I'd argue we were a better D then them that season outside of the first month which dropped us a bit in the full season stats (their O was just way better which is why the strolled to a SB win and we dropped the 49ers playoff game).

The front 7 in 2013 was just absolutely insane. Hardy had one of the best years from a pass rusher I've ever seen -- dude was elite as a pass rusher, elite dropping back into coverage and elite in run support. CJ was elite as well until the Pats cheap shotted him with a leg whip and he missed some time, but he was still great when he came back and played through the injury. Star and KK were great too as were the other DL. Luke, TD and Blackburn/Klein was arguably the one of the greatest 4-3 LB groups ever, Luke and TD were both absolutely incredible. The secondary on paper wasn't good but Mitchell, Munnerlyn, Florence and Mikell were rock solid veterans and UDFAs Melvin White and Robert Lester balled out that year too. Rivera and McD coached the hell out of that D too

I absolutely agree our secondary this year is much better on paper than 2013, but our front 7 is nowhere near that level right now and 2013 overall was still considerably better than I expect we'll be this year. Of course, there's still plenty of room and time for this D to prove themselves as good or better than 2013. But it won't be easy. That 2013 D was just so friggin good.