• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott "The Fiddler" Fitterer

Dex

1 hour ago, Fox007 said:

Well some of that is partially true. Like Rhule can't be fired by Fitterer which is how it usually goes with the GM on top. Rhule has more authority than most HCs and certainly more than 1st time NFL head coaches. Fitterer clearly knows his poo though.

It's not at all uncommon, honestly. Or at least it hasn't been. Lots of teams gave the head coach final authority in the past. Seattle's been doing it since Pete Carroll was hired.

There's a difference between final authority and full power though. Rhule doesn't run the personnel department. Fitterer does. Likewise Fitterer ran the draft and free agency.

Naturally, he works with Rhule, but that's not unique either. Every GM works with their head coach to determine what they need to run their schemes and set the roster.

Our friend Sanjay has it in his head that this is something unique, never done before and created by David Tepper. None of those things are true.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not at all uncommon, honestly. Or at least it hasn't been. Lots of teams gave the head coach final authority in the past. Seattle's been doing it since Pete Carroll was hired.

There's a difference between final authority and full power though. Rhule doesn't run the personnel department. Fitterer does. Likewise Fitterer ran the draft and free agency.

Naturally, he works with Rhule, but that's not unique either. Every GM works with their head coach to determine what they need to run their schemes and set the roster.

Our friend Sanjay has it in his head that this is something unique, never done before and created by David Tepper. None of those things are true.

Yea my comment is specifically on the hierarchy and it still is very uncommon for the HC to be over the GM in authority.

Thankfully we have what seems to be a very intelligent approach with a lot of smart people involved in a more horizonal approach like with the defense even recommending Darnold. The fact that Rhule is the type of guy who listens and poo is fantastic.

BTW how do you guys know all the past trolls lol. We have so many that got banned and come back but yall be spottin em

Edited by Fox007
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Yea my comment is specifically on the hierarchy and it still is very uncommon for the HC to be over the GM in authority.

Thankfully we have what seems to be a very intelligent approach with a lot of smart people involved in a more horizonal approach like with the defense even recommending Darnold. The fact that Rhule is the type of guy who listens and poo is fantastic.

BTW how do you guys know all the past trolls lol. We have so many that got banned and come back but yall be spottin em lol

Belichick and Carroll are the prime examples these days.

As far as Rhule, it's not a big shock when you look at who some of his mentors were. Tom Coughlin had a similar arrangement. Likewise, Bill Parcells before him (remember his "shopping for groceries" comment).

Rhule's nowhere near the control freak those guys were though. Prior to his being hired, Rhule gave an interview indicating he wanted a Belichick type arrangement, but he didn't get it. Evidence suggests that once he got to the job and realized everything that was involved, he didn't want it anymore.

That's why if you go back to his comments when we were looking at hiring a GM, he specifically stated that he wanted someone with scouting experience who could help him build a roster.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Belichick and Carroll are the prime examples these days.

It's not a big shock when you look at who some of his mentors were. Tom Coughlin had a similar arrangement. Likewise, Bill Parcells before him (remember his "shopping for groceries" comment).

Rhule's nowhere near the control freak those guys were though. Prior to his being hired, Rhule gave an interview indicating he wanted a Belichick type arrangement, but he didn't get it. Evidence suggests that once he got to the job and realized everything that was involved, he didn't want it anymore.

That's why if you go back to his comments when we were looking at hiring a GM, he specifically stated that he wanted someone with scouting experience who could help him build a roster.

Yea man shows the type of guy he is. It takes a legit individual to see all that is involved and be like "na I NEED help" and not take on too much water. That's a good point about his mentors b/c I haven't looked into it like that.

The way it turned out is better IMO anyway.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Yea man shows the type of guy he is. It takes a legit individual to see all that is involved and be like "na I NEED help" and not take on too much water. That's a good point about his mentors b/c I haven't looked into it like that.

The way it turned out is better IMO anyway.

When the GM search was on, I was a little worried that Rhule might just install one of his own people, but that didn't happen.

Was also worried that Tepper was gonna install a non-traditional type just to be different, but thankfully that didn't fly either.

(hell, none of his candidates even made it to round two) 😀

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

When the GM search was on, I was a little worried that Rhule might just install one of his own people, but that didn't happen.

Was also worried that Tepper was gonna install a non-traditional type just to be different, but thankfully that didn't fly either.

(hell, none of his candidates even made it to round two) 😀

And we aren't used to that huh. I really just had no expectations at all with Tepper and that isn't a bad thing just didn't have any idea what was gonna happen. Thus far our FO is likely to be the best it's been although Beane was legit as well and clearly should have been our GM over Hurney.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's a difference between final authority and full power though.

"Final say" on the 53-man roster is the operative determinant in play here...

...only one guy has it.

Here's an article from a few years ago that might (long shot) help you understand the issue at hand: 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/page/32for32x160417/nfl-draft-2016-ultimate-decision-maker-all-32-teams-general-manager-coach-both

image.thumb.png.e01358255c0035cfc81b3b7de2472f3d.png

Hmm, seems your take on Jerry Jones is in opposition to what those with real "insider" sources know to be the truth -- no surprise 😏

image.thumb.png.49739147487731a6111486914d7351fe.png

Edited by SizzleBuzz

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

FYI: The guy you're debating is the latest version of our old buddy Sanjay.

And for the record, he predicted that we would keep Marty since he believed Marty was a figurehead and David Tepper was actually making the personnel decisions because that was supposedly the Appaloosa Model.

Then when Marty was fired, he said we wouldn't hire a traditional GM (wrong). Once Fitterer was hired, he again said that Tepper was still in charge of personnel moves (wrong again). And lately he's on the notion that Matt Rhule is an absolute monarch because supposedly that's the Appaloosa Model now (what it actually means changes each time he's proven wrong).

Basically, he's just desperate to hang his hat on something so he can say he's right and everybody else is wrong. Unfortunately, he knows so little about football that everything he predicts or suggests winds up blowing up in his face.

I've told him before he should just be happy to be part of the conversation instead of trying to act like he's some sort of guru (and thus, annoying people) but he never listens.

Yeah, my experience with him is along those lines.  I'm not sure what he's trying to do.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our friend Sanjay has it in his head...

Whoa, wait just a doggone minute now!!

Before you (and others) insisted I was the mythical "Chuck" -- have you reversed course?!?

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Previously it was a two tight end set pic that he found on Wikipedia.

Which one of the voices in your head whispered this nugget to you?  Chuck??  Sanjay???  Please do tell...

HINT:  It wasn't me 😂😆

Edited by SizzleBuzz