• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

the OL has not sucked so far

BlitzMonster

25 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

All off-season the Huddle was worried about the OL.  The belief seemed to be that the team would take a half-dozen sacks per game and Darnold would be constantly running for his life.

The reality has been far from that. 

In the first two games the OL has looked fine.  Darnold has been sacked once a game or so.  He's looked fairly cool & calm in the pocket. 

The OL hasn't been the trash fire many expected it to be.   Even with Elflein & Erving getting banged up, the team has been able to plug in replacements (including the rookie Christensen today) without skipping a beat.

I must say I've been pleasantly surprised with the "not horrible" OL play so far.  And that's against two teams with good DL.

Not a lot of substance here. Can you please back this up with stats and comparisons to other teams?

Hint: it’s already been done here and discussed, it’s not pretty. 

Run blocking has been near non existent. The pass blocking has been serviceable enough but we have faced a Jets team that just got blown out by the Mac Jones led Patriots and a hobbled Saints team. Over the next month we will see the good bad and ugly of this oline for all it's worth.

6 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

I told everyone that in the offseason our line wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be last season and a better QB would've put us in the playoffs. Teddy had many opportunities last year where he had time to make a big play and decided not to. Darnold is capitalizing where Teddy would've failed. Everyone knows Teddy would've thrown to Thomas underneath instead of making the TD pass Darnold did today. I've seen an underneath option in almost all of our passing plays. I guarantee if Teddy was still starting, we would be 0-2 due to him only looking out for his completion percentage.

Ok but people generally don’t believe you’re going to break NFL history records and trends and go deep in the playoffs with the 18th ranked oline or worse. It’s been done a few times with a HOF qb in 25 years with identical metrics. 

That’s bold for you saying fug those stats and fug a HOF qb, we are special….but it’s asking a lot for people to follow it.

8 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

We have no running holes.

Our guys are constantly stonewalling in the run game especially goaline

Yeah the run game wasn't like last week.  But it was much better than when we faced the saints the first time last year.  To put it in perspective,

CMC    had 3 yards per attempt with his longest being 16 yards.
Kamra  had .6 yards per attempt with his longest being 8 yards.
                ^^^^

That is point  6     ... as in less than a yard.

Should the Saints start ripping on their linemen and saying their line is garbage?

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Ok but people generally don’t believe you’re going to break NFL history records and trends and go deep in the playoffs with the 18th ranked oline or worse. It’s been done a few times with a HOF qb in 25 years with identical metrics. 

That’s bold for you saying fug those stats and fug a HOF qb, we are special….but it’s asking a lot for people to follow it.

I mean all you have to do is trust your eyes and see how many times Robby and DJ were open and Teddy refuse to throw their way. It was multiple times per game. Those plays are the difference between winning and losing. 

2 minutes ago, FattyFatFat said:

I think we’re scheming around the line we have. I will give Brady credit for that as well Darnold but mostly CMC. That one hand grab he made today to get a first was all-pro. We should collectively pray for his continued good health throughout the season. 

Is there a reason why Brady refuses to call toss plays for McCaffrey? IIRC Shula and Norv didnt like to do those either. Just odd that you have a RB thats good in space and you over commit him to running in the middle where your weakest part of your oline is. Bit of a head scratcher. CMC is not Derrick Henry but Brady thinks he is playcalling wise

Edited by Pantha-kun
  • Pie 2

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

Run blocking has been near non existent. The pass blocking has been serviceable enough but we have faced a Jets team that just got blown out by the Mac Jones led Patriots and a hobbled Saints team. Over the next month we will see the good bad and ugly of this oline for all it's worth.

They got blown out because Wilson imploded.