• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Second half offense

NAS

Rhule expalined it after the game: 

RE: How do you eliminate that second half lull?

I think we have to, again, its kind of hard. The defense is playing so well so you are not being overly aggressive. We just have to continue to go back and look at who is not quite doing their job. There are a bunch of plays we feel like we should have executed better. It's just like anything else – young teams teaching them, hey don't look at the scoreboard, just keep playing, keep playing. I thought the defense though, last week in the third quarter and again this week in the third quarter, I thought they hung in there. They got tired and they continued to play. We are just going to have to work our way through that.

• Pie 3

I believe our philosophy as a team is to protect the second half leads. So we slow down our offense and are much more conservative. Early in the season we gain very little from keeping the foot on the gas pedal. I expect after week 4 or 5 for us to just go for the kill every game we can. Right now, Darnold is an enigma for the league and nobody knows what to expect. We are trying to take advantage of that for a few weeks. As teams adjust to that, for real, we will show more of the playbook. 

• Pie 2

spacer.png

The above is Joe Brady's reaction to Sam's massive brainfart in attempting a two-handed shovel pass to Hubbard with a defender wrapped around him, that led to a Turnover.

I'm not even going to count THAT as an Interception(I don't care what the dumb stat says).   NOT BY A LONGSHOT!    

As far as I'm concerned, Sam did not throw an actual Passing INT.  He took care of the ball and did what he needed to do to help the Panthers win.

Anyway, overall, it was another Good performance by Sam.   

Also, Zylstra...."Who dat"?  (Am i doing it right, AsylumWeirdo? 😏)

Zylstra played very well today.

The O-Line, for the most part, kept Sam Relatively clean today.

And the Panthers "D" was "D" as in "D"-stroy Lameis Winston and Kamara today.   Holy Sh-t!!  

And Most important of all?

WE BEAT THE AINTS!!    FUG 'EM!!!  FUG THEIR FANS!   FUG THEIR COACH!

AND FUG...THEIR...COUCH!!

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 3

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

We definitely take our foot off the pedal in the second half and we don't have the Oline to do that.

We can't consistently convert on 3rd and short on the ground so drives stall out. We play to protect the lead rather than to extend it - it's a very worrying trend. 

Our OL has no push in the running game, thus we can't run out the clock.  I remember a time when a Panthers team could churn the clock nearly an entire quarter with a lead by running the ball straight down an opponent's throat and there wasn't a damn thing they could do about it.  We can't do that with this OL.

42 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Rhule expalined it after the game: 

RE: How do you eliminate that second half lull?

I think we have to, again, its kind of hard. The defense is playing so well so you are not being overly aggressive. We just have to continue to go back and look at who is not quite doing their job. There are a bunch of plays we feel like we should have executed better. It's just like anything else – young teams teaching them, hey don't look at the scoreboard, just keep playing, keep playing. I thought the defense though, last week in the third quarter and again this week in the third quarter, I thought they hung in there. They got tired and they continued to play. We are just going to have to work our way through that.

Thanks but this doesn’t really explain it. He admits it’s something they need to figure out

It seems in the 2nd half we take the foot off the game and let the defense play. They gauge how the defense is keeping them in the game before having to unnecessarily let Darnold loose. I think they are still a little afraid to go all in with him getting too fancy. I know it would kill his psyche to have a game under control then lose it because he tried to do too much.