• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fame and Shame - Saints at Panthers

Zod

6 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I'm sorry, but expecting any QB to play perfect is ridiculous.  

That play was pretty bad though. I'm not looking for perfection. But I do expect the turnovers that happen to be more reasonable. He basically tossed it to a D-lineman. Great job otherwise, but the "What the heck" turnover is what I am focused on. Not too mention we were up 17 on our side of the field. Got to know the situation. Those 7 points for the Saints never happen without this mistake. As dominate as we were, they were within 10 points in the 4th. That's upsetting. 

Just now, mbarbour21 said:

That play was pretty bad though. I'm not looking for perfection. But I do expect the turnovers that happen to be more reasonable. He basically tossed it to a D-lineman. Great job otherwise, but the "What the heck" turnover is what I am focused on. Not too mention we were up 17 on our side of the field. Got to know the situation. Those 7 points for the Saints never happen without this mistake. As dominate as we were, they were within 10 points in the 4th. That's upsetting. 

I get it was a bad error. I get it led to their only points. 

It was really his only mistake in the game. I'll take that knowing he's going to work his ass off to prevent it from happening again. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, mbarbour21 said:

That play was pretty bad though. I'm not looking for perfection. But I do expect the turnovers that happen to be more reasonable. He basically tossed it to a D-lineman. Great job otherwise, but the "What the heck" turnover is what I am focused on. Not too mention we were up 17 on our side of the field. Got to know the situation. Those 7 points for the Saints never happen without this mistake. As dominate as we were, they were within 10 points in the 4th. That's upsetting

We won the game. 

Move on. 

8 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I get it was a bad error. I get it led to their only points. 

It was really his only mistake in the game. I'll take that knowing he's going to work his ass off to prevent it from happening again. 

100% agree. But it is an issue that should and will be addressed. 

7 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

We won the game. 

Move on. 

No. That is an issue. Because better teams can win with 7 minutes left and down 10. And it's like Monday dude. LOL! You act like it's week 10 already. This literally happened yesterday, and the week before. 

6 minutes ago, mbarbour21 said:

No. That is an issue. Because better teams can win with 7 minutes left and down 10. And it's like Monday dude. LOL! You act like it's week 10 already. This literally happened yesterday, and the week before. 

How do you agree the is an easily fixable mistake, then disagree about moving on. 

Seems to me you just want perfection. 

Just now, stbugs said:

Well outside of not being right behind Erving. Even getting stepped on, it sure didn’t seem like he was in the right spot. His job isn’t to catch Erving when he falls. You can see how CMC is on Erving’s other side not behind.

You'll have to excuse me if I'm not concerned about him not exactly knowing his assignments in that situation. You are looking at a snapshot on one play where his foot got stepped on while looking for someone to block.  Can't draw any conclusions with that. 

Just now, stbugs said:

He’s a rookie but the bolded is what keeps Elflein on the field. I’m concerned about his progress, but we may have to wait until next year for the rookies to be starting without more injuries.

I think its a combination of things. They can fill in spurts if necessary but for now it's best not to. 

It's really a combination of knowing their assignments WELL, conditioning and gaining trust from the coaches. Until all 3 are met I wouldn't expect those two to start unless bodies are dropping like flies.

If that happens then, well you know how that movie ends.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

We were set up nicely in the 3rd on the Saints 26 with 10 mins left. 2nd and 10

The Panthers had a screen pass set up perfectly for Marshall. There was nothing but green. Marshall slipped after the catch and didn’t get anything. The following play was the sack then blocked field goal. Had Marshall not slipped our 3rd quarter might have not looked so bad again.

You can tell they’re bringing Sam along slowly and that’s the correct thing to do. Week 1 it felt pretty conservative. Yesterday they opened it up a little more. Darnold is 23 and has shown so far that he can make every throw. Just keep allowing Sam to play within himself and get comfortable and who knows. 

Zach Wilson was boo’d off the field after his 4th interception yesterday. Belichick did to him what he’d done to Sam previously. With that said, I think yesterday was another strong indicator just how tough it is to succeed at QB for the Jets. In 3 years it won’t surprise me at all if the Wilson situation plays out just like the Darnold one. These highly touted QB prospects aren’t the problem.

You are spot on. I have been in favor of the Darnold trade since we made it. In part because I didn’t want to give up multiple 1st round picks for a QB (Watson, Stafford or a rookie) and in part because I think with Darnold the talent is clearly there.

He wasn’t good with the Jets but he still had a highlight reel you could look at and say “wow, this dude has a very accurate arm, can make every throw and is surprisingly mobile” 

I’ve been saying all along that I thought Darnold would have been the 2nd QB taken in this years draft. And look at how bad Zach Wilson is struggling in NY now. There were a lot of huddlers riding his hype train, some suggesting we trade 3 first rounders to get him.

I think we may have gotten a better QB for a 2nd. There’s a long way to go, but Darnold never had a fair shot in NY and Wilson doesn’t now either. There was a loud mob on here insisting he just wasn’t that good and if he was he would have been more successful with the Jets.

So far he is proving them wrong and I couldn’t be happier about it.

• Beer 1

59 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I think its a combination of things. They can fill in spurts if necessary but for now it's best not to. 

It's really a combination of knowing their assignments WELL, conditioning and gaining trust from the coaches. Until all 3 are met I wouldn't expect those two to start unless bodies are dropping like flies.

If that happens then, well you know how that movie ends.

I still genuinely feel this is rebuilding year #2. I anticipated (and said as much) that I expected this rebuild to take three years after Cam left, Luke left, TD, Bradberry, etc. I expected us to be the worst defense in the league last season. Now we may prove to be top 10 this year potentially. 

But if these rookie OL need a year to learn their trade, I’m fine with that. I can be patient. It’s still rebuilding year #2 and while I’m very thankful it appears to be going more quickly than I had anticipated, I’m still going to look at it through this lens. 

We are still starting tons of young players. Bringing along a new young QB (not a rookie, but still learning a lot after being grossly mishandled in New York) and still lacking depth in a lot of areas. I was giving it 3 years before I expected us to have any shot at a playoff appearance. Everything extra for now is just gravy

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I’m not expecting him to play perfect but that was a dumba$$ mistake. 

You obviously didn't finish reaching the exchange before ya responded. 

Plus, it was his only mistake. It didn't cost us the game, and he'll get better. Get over this perfection that y'all are holding Sam to. 

If it was any other QB, he'll, if it was Cam, y'all wouldn't even be talking about it. 

Edited by pantherclaw

4 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I’m not expecting him to play perfect but that was a dumba$$ mistake. 

Dumb ass mistakes happen sometimes. Mahomes literally tossed the ball into a Ravens hands to avoid a sack late in the game last night that may well have cost KC the win. And he’s the best QB in the league. 
Sometimes sh*t happens. Darnold played a very good game. Focusing in on one mistake where he tried to make a play isn’t indicative of him as a QB at this point. 

• Pie 1