• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF offensive line grades after week 2

Zod

21 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

To have a chance at a 2nd round pick we would have to trade back, as the 2022 2nd is the current starting QB on our team. 

So I FULLY expect us to trade down a time or two in the 2022 draft in an attempt to replace the 2nd we traded. I wouldn't call that cute, I'd call it the smart thing to do. 

What would you trade to recoup the 2nd round choice?

Unless I'm wrong we only have 1 choice in the 1st round this year.

I can't see us trading out of our 1st round slot unless we could get a later choice in the same round & that team's 2nd round pick as well. Unless the bottom fails out in the 2nd half of the season this team could very well end up competing for a playoff spot which puts our draft pick in the late teens or early 20's. I can't see anyone making the deal I just outlined above...unless they're really desperate to move up...which of course could happen.

6 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

In theory you are absolutely right. However, you know how the draft is in some years. Some classes have great lineman. Other years the talent isn't quite as good. I'd hate to take a LT (or center)out of desperation like we did with Little in the 2nd round a couple of years ago. I have a feeling we ain't gonna be drafting in the top 10 this year. The best LT's "could be gone" by the time we're on the clock. If a stud guard is on the board and he's better highest ranked remaining Center or LT, I'd be in favor of taking the guard...unless we had a more pressing need at another position.

It depends on how deep/top-heavy the class is for LT.  A starting LT can be had mid-to-late round one in a very good class.  Only elite centers are taken in round one and there are generally one or none of those each draft.  A top 3 center can easily be taken in the second round.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

image.png.45ff5e9e10fe88950e7e05acd8f638d7.png

Wow!  We are stuck with him this year.  I generally hate eating dead cap, but jettison his arse next season even if we have to eat the nearly $2.4 million.  If we bench him this season, that's $6M riding the pine.  I would like a word with the scout who saw his awful tape and thought. 'Let's bring Elflein here and overpaid the crap him based on his poor production.'

You mean we shouldn't have a heavily over-priced OL on the team that has no business taking any snaps outside of being the 3rd string backup?

But what about Panthers traditions?

• Pie 1

Pat Elflein was on the field for only 23 snaps. Surely, he couldn't have screwed up that much in such a short amount of time, could he?

LET'S FIND OUT

The very first play, Elflein gets pushed back. Paradis and Miller set up a great combo block to seal off the DL before Paradis pivots to the LB. CMC would've had a nice hole to run thru had Elflein held his block. Instead, it goes for 2 as Elflein's man gets the tackle.
image.png.29a072c147a8ff1e0c719cd8b0e46e07.png

3rd play of the game. Here's Pat Elflein blocking air.
image.png.49db275b371b95d41164e4df78957953.png

Ian Thomas also almost got Sam injured when he failed on his block and the dude crawled into the back of Sam's knee. He has also been noticeably bad while blocking.

Here is Pat getting owned by a DB
image.png.9d975a2ec9f6ab9fe8ecc61465c164b6.png

Fun fact: Elflein at the point of this play has almost lost as many reps as he's been asked to combo block (4:5)
image.png.1bac3d290c8b30feebf371d35a5efd72.png

Lawd, baptized by the LB before being trampled...
image.png.95221d77ed385b4819943d6605708bfa.png

Aaand the next play he gets yeeted by another LB
image.png.1e16125ba5b871f5970a10dddaafb20f.png

Here he is blocking the air left behind by the Saints defender
image.png.a1c03fd9734a6c87681d1e2329dc9df5.png

7 out of 23 snaps Elflein lost and lost badly.

This dude is bad and we desperately need to see who between Daley and Christensen can shore up the weak spot on the OL.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 3

4 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

Just spend 90% of our draft capital on line his year. If tackle isn’t there in round 1 and we spend a first round pick on a guard or a center, so be it. Time for talent infusion. 

You know the Panthers will never do this. We haven't drafted Oline in R1 since Otah in 2008 and Gross in 2003. In 21 fuging years!! Thats several different regimes of coaches, staff, even different owners lol.

Its an ingrained franchise problem where almost every year they think they can scrap together some leftover free agents that other teams didnt want and think that will be good enough. They've shown absolutely no evidence that theyre changing that mindset any time soon. 

• Beer 1