• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF offensive line grades after week 2

Zod

1 minute ago, Pantha-kun said:

You know the Panthers will never do this. We haven't drafted Oline in R1 since Otah in 2008 and Gross in 2003. In 21 fuging years!! Thats several different regimes of coaches, staff, even different owners lol.

Its an ingrained franchise problem where almost every year they think they can scrap together some leftover free agents that other teams didnt want and think that will be good enough. They've shown absolutely no evidence that theyre changing that mindset any time soon. 

You cannot use history as an indicator of future projections for the FO now in place.  It is an all new philosophy with all new people driving it.  You have one draft to judge by, 2 if you think it's all Rhule driving the bus. So no, the mindset is not predetermined.

From what little if seen of this new group and what they were be able to accomplish is just a short time leads me to believe that the mindset you speak of went out the door with the trash.

• Pie 3

Trust me when I say that the last thing you want is for another 2015 when we cruise to the deep playoffs and meet a buzzsaw dline that runs through our oline like a hot knife through butter and we lose again. 

And the coaching staff will still be sitting there totally oblivious to the problem at hand.

IIRC it was baffling when Gettleman proceeded to draft a DT, 3 CBs, and a TE who didnt even play in the NFL I don't believe. After witnessing the Oline get totally shredded in Super Bowl 50. That level of ineptitude will keep your franchise buried under the sand for a long, long time until it finally gets recognized and corrected.

And I'm still waiting to see it from the current staff.  (Also doesn't help our new GM comes from the seahawks who have had oline problems for years as well). 

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You cannot use history as an indicator of future projections for the FO now in place.  It is an all new philosophy with all new people driving it.  You have one draft to judge by, 2 if you think it's all Rhule driving the bus. So no, the mindset is not predetermined.

From what little if seen of this new group and what they were be able to accomplish is just a short time leads me to believe that the mindset you speak of went out the door with the trash.

horse poo. Ill believe it when i see it

Only thing I've learned from this new regime is they like to draft defense as high as  previous regimes did.

Edited by Pantha-kun
  • Poo 1

2 minutes ago, Pantha-kun said:

horse poo. Ill believe it when i see it

That is a perfectly acceptable answer.  Only time will tell but you cannot saddle this group with the sins if the past until they make those same sins themselves.  

By my count they have about 10 years of incompetent team building before they come close.  I like my chances. 

• Pie 1

I see the Efflein Pile-on continues.

We are still building guys.  Brown and Christensen are our future LG and LT.  Next year Efflein will move to center and we will draft a long-term center in the late first (after we trade back for an extra 3rd).  This new center will be starting by mid-year, and Efflein will be what he was always meant to be - a versatile backup and spot-starter.

By 2023, we should have enough young depth to jettison him with little pain.  

Patience my young Padawans.

2 hours ago, Pantha-kun said:

Trust me when I say that the last thing you want is for another 2015 when we cruise to the deep playoffs and meet a buzzsaw dline that runs through our oline like a hot knife through butter and we lose again. 

And the coaching staff will still be sitting there totally oblivious to the problem at hand.

IIRC it was baffling when Gettleman proceeded to draft a DT, 3 CBs, and a TE who didnt even play in the NFL I don't believe. After witnessing the Oline get totally shredded in Super Bowl 50. That level of ineptitude will keep your franchise buried under the sand for a long, long time until it finally gets recognized and corrected.

And I'm still waiting to see it from the current staff.  (Also doesn't help our new GM comes from the seahawks who have had oline problems for years as well). 

Some key things missing from your recollection:

• That season's OL was Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Williams/Remmers. Remmers was a sieve, but the OL itself was super solid. Oher was also due to start at LT the following season after a Super Bowl bound 2015, but had a career ending concussion in the preseason.
  • Kawann Short was set to potentially hit free agency, which meant that the team needed a pass rushing DT more than an LT as Oher already fulfilled that role and Williams was already showing that he could start at RT.
  • The defense lost Josh Norman to free agency, Charles Tillman to retirement, and Benwikere had an injury that ended up changing the course of his career. The cupboards were bare at CB.
  • Olsen was Cam's security blanket. Gettleman had success drafting "insurance" for TD & KB in Shaq & Funchess seeing that the team made the SB the year he drafted them. He tried again the following season and horribly failed. Thank goodness for 2017 when he netted probably one of the best drafts in franchise history.
  • As mentioned earlier, this was under Jerry Richardson, David Gettleman, and Ron Rivera. Different head coach, different general manager, and different owner. The franchise itself isn't sentient. It goes the direction that leadership points it in.