• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Gonzalez get to stay?

Khyber53

1 hour ago, Fox007 said:

In the presser Rhule said this is on purpose and they will continue to cover kicks going forward.

Now is he just saying that b/c our kickers suck, dunno but he did say covering kicks was going to be a thing and that they had planned for it.

It's not strategy he just sucks at it, 56.5% career touchbacks

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Fox007 said:

In the presser Rhule said this is on purpose and they will continue to cover kicks going forward.

Now is he just saying that b/c our kickers suck, dunno but he did say covering kicks was going to be a thing and that they had planned for it.

It's because other teams around the league are doing it. So they better get good at it because they will see it soon rather than later. 

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's because other teams around the league are doing it. So they better get good at it because they will see it soon rather than later. 

Yea I heard that part too where he was saying other teams were doing it. I get the idea b/c back before they moved the kickoff you still would see teams not getting to the 20 nevermind the 25.(we were often one such team lol)

Edited by Fox007

Just now, Fox007 said:

Yea I heard that part too where he was saying other teams were doing it. I get the idea b/c back before they moved the kickoff you still would see teams not getting to the 20 nevermind the 25.

It's a new strategy that teams are trying because apparently the numbers say they should.   Geeks.

We could IR him and release once the time is up if he truly f*cks up. That'll be when we just elevate Eberle until another waiver wire pickup like Verity (BAL) can happen. Maintains just 1 active K spot.  And we get to cycle/try out another one or two in Zane, Eberley, and then a new signing.  

My top wish is Zane doesn't work and we're in contention in a few weeks/4-0:

Lirim Hajrullahu

the man.  I can hear Mick Mixon saying it now: "The kick is up, and through the upright, in! Hallelujah, Hajrullahu!"

16 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

There was a time when kickoffs traveling beyond the opponents end zone was uncommon.  Seems like most kickers these days can do it if called on to do so.  Doesn't seem like it would be in the Panthers best interests to commit to any kicker that is incapable of doing it consistently (if at all).

There's a reason for this obviously. Maybe you forgot but they moved the kickoff line up 5 yards in 2011. This allowed for most kickers that could kick within the end zone to then be able to kick through the end zone with regularity. 

It was at the same time that they moved the touchback up to the 25 from the 20. 

The year after the rule change the touchback percentage increased from 16% to 44%. 

I'm not sure what it has been since but I'm too lazy to look it up.