• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic not very impressed with Sam Darnold

Zod

On 9/20/2021 at 8:12 PM, 1of10Charnatives said:

Sir, I just have to say I admire how your hatred cannot be distracted, forborn, or muted by little things like relevance to the thread and topic at hand. True hatred shines through, even when it is only tangential to the topic being discussed.

I see your fug Joe Person and salute it. 

Also fug Jerome Boger.

That is all.

I think I love you.

On 9/21/2021 at 1:29 AM, CanePantherHornet said:

I don't see how you could be disappointed at this point. He's making his reads and getting the ball out very fast. I love how he'll pump fake and sell faux QB runs. He's been very poised and seems like he's starting to become more relaxed. He's got a rocket arm and he'll use it when the opportunity proceeds itself. He throws darts into tight windows. He can hit the checkdown when he needs to but that isn't his first option. When the pocket collapses he's shown the ability to escape and improvise. Several plays yesterday could have been disasters if he wouldn't have started scrambling. That play when he saw the safety sitting there waiting to jump the route so he went the other way was next level.

I think he has the potential to be THE guy. It's going to be interesting to see how he does when the offensive line improves and gives him more time. He's already grown immensely. Sean Ryan has done an excellent job helping him grow. His next big step should be deep ball accuracy. If he can get a bit better in that category the sky is the limit.

Couldn't  have said it better, nice take!

On 9/20/2021 at 8:48 PM, GoobyPls said:

I wonder if Broncos fans are saying the same thing about Teddy right now. Darnold is playing the Alex Smith role right now, the way the gameplay is going you can see he’s barely throwing to his second read, and that’s the way the coaches wanted. These two games have been on a silver platter, any halfway decent QB would have done what Darnold has done

You should watch a game sometime. Darnold hits the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th option.

Unless Brandon Zylstra has been our #1 all along.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

You should watch a game sometime. Darnold hits the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th option.

Unless Brandon Zylstra has been our #1 all along.

No he’s not, outside the rare scramble play it’s either first read or his check downs 

here is all his completions from his last game. Maybe one completion time his 3rd option on that Arnold throw, outside of that it’s all first read or under

11 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

No he’s not, outside the rare scramble play it’s either first read or his check downs 

here is all his completions from his last game. Maybe one completion time his 3rd option on that Arnold throw, outside of that it’s all first read or under

This offense and Darnolds adjustments are designed to create mismatches for specific guys on specific plays. So Darnold tracking a receiver he knows is in a favorable matchup is smart and what QBs do. If that isn't available then he goes down the progressions if he has time or dumps it off. 

Given he is getting the ball out in about 2.5 seconds how many progressions should he cover especially when he knows who is going to be open most times??

9 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

This offense and Darnolds adjustments are designed to create mismatches for specific guys on specific plays. So Darnold tracking a receiver he knows is in a favorable matchup is smart and what QBs do. If that isn't available then he goes down the progressions if he has time or dumps it off. 

Given he is getting the ball out in about 2.5 seconds how many progressions should he cover especially when he knows who is going to be open most times??

Don't try to explain it to him it will make his head hurt. You are wasting your time.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, GoobyPls said:

1st play- 2nd option

2nd play- 3rd option

3rd play- looked off safety, then 1st option

4th play 1st option, quick slant

5th play- several looks, including ignoring the checkdown to CMC because Robby was open downfield

6th play- 2nd option

7th play- scramble, finds open receiver

8th play- designed quick slant

9th play- run

10th play- 2nd option

Halftime.

• Beer 1

37 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

1st play- 2nd option

2nd play- 3rd option

3rd play- looked off safety, then 1st option

4th play 1st option, quick slant

5th play- several looks, including ignoring the checkdown to CMC because Robby was open downfield

6th play- 2nd option

7th play- scramble, finds open receiver

8th play- designed quick slant

9th play- run

10th play- 2nd option

Halftime.

You just making up stuff trying to prove a point.

Every single throw outside of the Arnold, Zylstra and Mccaffrey (checkdown) was his first read, you can tell be where his head is focus from the snap.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:48 PM, GoobyPls said:

I wonder if Broncos fans are saying the same thing about Teddy right now. Darnold is playing the Alex Smith role right now, the way the gameplay is going you can see he’s barely throwing to his second read, and that’s the way the coaches wanted. These two games have been on a silver platter, any halfway decent QB would have done what Darnold has done

But why is Alex Smith considered a bad thing? If Darnold is Alex Smith our ceiling is pretty high. 

If Darnold is just steady, we are a very good team.

So in his 2nd game as a Panther while working to learn a new offense and create chemistry with teammates he looks like a dude that once he became a veteran, consistently won plenty of games for his teams... Why is this a bad thing? Dude is 24. Alex Smith didn't even become the guy we refer to until like 7 years into the league.  If Darnold already looks like a 7 year vet that is actually a good thing.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Who saying he should go through more progressions? I’m just point out the facts that’s he’s not. Brady offense always has a pre determined hot read that you can clearly see Darnold is going to quite often. In the vid I posted he’s actually throwing a into some tight windows and the receivers didn’t get a bunch of YAC, so the whole “open favorable matchup” is not quite lineing up with the tape of Sunday’s game.

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

But why is Alex Smith considered a bad thing? If Darnold is Alex Smith our ceiling is pretty high. 

If Darnold is just steady, we are a very good team.

Cause it hard to win it all with Alex Smith as your QB, everything needs to be near perfect. And that’s why the chiefs moved on. Take someone like Tannehill (many hope Darnold turns into) who is more talented than Smith, if you look all the Titans lost in the regular season or playoffs they always have one thing in common defenses shutdown Henry and force Tannehill to beat them. He can’t 

You could win it all with a Alex Smith, but it will take a Herculean effort by the entire team. 

Edited by GoobyPls

2 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Who saying he should go through more progressions? I’m just point out the facts that’s he’s not. Brady offense always has a pre determined hot read that you can clearly see Darnold is going to quite often. In the vid I posted he’s actually throwing a into some tight windows and the receivers didn’t get a bunch of YAC, so the whole “open favorable matchup” is not quite lineing up with the tape of Sunday’s game.

That isn't a hot read which is what you go to when the defense blitzes. That is presnap manipulating the defense  getting the right matchup for example Christian on a linebacker by audiblizing. So Darnold knows where he is going to go and waits for Chrstian to clear. That is very different from what you imply which is that he is staring down down receivers giving the defense time to cover. Why in the world would you look deep when you know the coverage is swung that way and you have a miss match. As for throwing into a tight window that criticism only applies if he tries to squeeze a ball in while another guy is left wide open and he totally misses it. With the lack of receiver quality the Jets had and the porous line I bet many of Darnolds throw the last several years had to be in tight windows. That is all he had.