• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Really good article on Sam Darnold. Worth a click.

Zod

21 minutes ago, ncstatekwi said:

Nice read...thanks for sharing Zod!  I am wishing Darnold nothing but the best here...I really really hope it works out!  Man he's a young 23!!

I think there is a lot of us wishing the same thing. 

As long as he is not the reason the team loses, if and when they do, he will be just fine here.

10 hours ago, panthers55 said:

So who have we had that didn't have one or two boneheaded plays per game? Cam had plenty and so did Jake. And plenty of guys in between. What I look for is whether you learn from those plays or keep doing them over and over. Whether you come back and try to atone for your mistake the next time out or fold like a fat man in a lawn chair. I like Darnold is humble and always looking to get better. Will he look bad at times? Let see how he looks against New England who made him see ghosts. Or Tampa twice. We will take some lumps. But until then I am loving 2-0 and rooting for 3-0 Thursday night.

Well, let me start by saying that my goal/preference for Carolina is to find a special/franchise QB.  I think you need that in the NFL to consistently compete for a title.   The league continues to evolve more and more in that direction.  Especially, since the era in which Delhomme made his debut. 

Cam made lots of bonehead plays...but he countered that with being insanely special in his prime with the ability to carry a team on his back.  And once he was no longer insanely special to outweigh his negatives? Well, he no longer was a our QB.  

Could Sam be a Jake Delhomme minus his weird mojo? Maybe.   I've always thought that was the Sam ceiling and likely ending to this.   And I wouldn't advocate for dumping Darnold if that is all he is.  I'm not interested in Rhule doing what he has done for a 3rd go next year.   It just means you would have to keep searching for a special QB and prioritize it going forward.   

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Well, let me start by saying that my goal/preference for Carolina is to find a special/franchise QB.  I think you need that in the NFL to consistently compete for a title.   The league continues to evolve more and more in that direction.  Especially, since the era in which Delhomme made his debut. 

Cam made lots of bonehead plays...but he countered that with being insanely special in his prime with the ability to carry a team on his back.  And once he was no longer insanely special to outweigh his negatives? Well, he no longer was a our QB.  

Could Sam be a Jake Delhomme minus his weird mojo? Maybe.   I've always thought that was the Sam ceiling and likely ending to this.   And I wouldn't advocate for dumping Darnold if that is all he is.  I'm not interested in Rhule doing what he has done for a 3rd go next year.   It just means you would have to keep searching for a special QB and prioritize it going forward.   

If his weird mojo doesn't cost the Panthers games and he does more to help win them, I see no reason why he won't have a future here as a Panther.   🙂

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

If his weird mojo doesn't cost the Panthers games and he does more to help win them, I see no reason why he won't have a future here as a Panther.   🙂

Delhomme had weird mojo.  It actually was meant as a positive.  An intangible bump Delhomme got.  Tommy Jone stole it though.    And he needed it

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Delhomme had weird mojo.  It actually was meant as a positive.  An intangible bump Delhomme got.  Tommy Jone stole it though.    And he needed it

ah.  I was referring to when you called Sam's penchant for Turnovers Weird Mojo or JuJu or whatever.

But yeah...I agree.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Jury's out though, Jake's it factor was necessary first game out to pull us out of the hole Peete put us in. If that had been today's team Peete wouldn't have been here (see Teddy), and we probably wouldn't have been in that hole to begin with. Hopefully we don't need sam to start flinging it for a while.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not seeing the Delhomme comparison you guys see.  Until he settles in and gets his rhythm established I really can't tell who his style favors.

Me either, Jake had nowhere near the arm talent size or mobility. Jake thought he could make all the throws, Sam can make them. Sam is much closer to Rodgers or Alen from that aspect, just needs to tighten up the muscle between the ears.

1 minute ago, User Name said:

Me either, Jake had nowhere near the arm talent size or mobility. Jake thought he could make all the throws, Sam can make them. Sam is much closer to Rodgers or Alen from that aspect, just needs to tighten up the muscle between the ears.

I am not sure I would go that far but he does have more arm strength and athletic ability than Delhomme. 

But Jake had that innate ability to somehow make a throw that you knew was in no way going to get there but I'll be damned if it didn't.  

He was just clutch when he needed to be. Until he wasn't.  Tommy Joan can eat a bags of d****.

Anyway, I really can't say who he reminds of just yet because I don't think we've seen who he truly is at this point.

Just now, Jon Snow said:

I am not sure I would go that far but he does have more arm strength and athletic ability than Delhomme. 

But Jake had that innate ability to somehow make a throw that you knew was in no way going to get there but I'll be damned if it didn't.  

He was just clutch when he needed to be. Until he wasn't.  Tommy Joan can eat a bags of d****.

Anyway, I really can't say who he reminds of just yet because I don't think we've seen who he truly is at this point.

Totally agree, just wish Jake realized he couldn't Lazer into the flats like he thought he could. Broke my heart to many times with the pick six...

14 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not seeing the Delhomme comparison you guys see.  Until he settles in and gets his rhythm established I really can't tell who his style favors.

I don't think we have a QB in our history that is a good comparison to Darnold, assuming he continues to improve...  Frankly, his natural gifts put him closer to Cam than Delhomme in terms of raw ability, but he's obviously nothing close to Cam either.  It is just that Delhomme wasn't Delhomme because of arm talent or athleticism.  Darnold has a rare combination there, although not once in a generation or anything of that sort like Cam was.

I think Darnold's leadership ability is heavily underrated by us fans, based on how many times he's been made a captain already in his short career, so we'll see if we get more hints of that as time goes on.  That's some of the missing piece of what kind of player he will be for us.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1