• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yahoo.com article: How Phil Snow turned the Panthers’ defense into the NFL’s new nightmare

BlitzMonster

19 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

Why can't some of you people just chill and enjoy the beauty unfolding before our very eyes? We all get it, it is a long season and we know we won't dominate every team the way we dominated the Jets and the Saints. But is has been years since we have looked this way on defense and I for one an enjoying every minute. Some of you kill joys would find something to complain about if you won the powerball jackpot. What a miserable bunch of sad sacks.

Those taxes are brutal Hoss!

1 minute ago, NAS said:

I disagree.  A dominant showing against Texans will show that we are for real.  Good teams beat who they're supposed to beat. 

We just had a dominant showing against the Aints and we're still like 14 at the highest on most of the power rankings out there. The media doesn't give a crap about us until we essentially force them to. And that can only happen once we start ragging on contender and big name teams, like we did in 2015. If we smash the Texans and then the Cowgirls I can see the media starting to take us seriously, but not just the Texans.

• Beer 1

Just now, R0CKnR0LLA said:

Big part of play calling is out guessing your opponent. I'm sure after we did the exact same blitz twice in a row they were thinking "well they sure as hell aren't going to do the same thing THREE times in a row"

True.  In the clip though they pick up the blitz on the 2nd and 3rd times.  The problem is you can't double team Burns and Reddick or anyone on the line if you're picking up the blitz.  We didn't do it thinking they wouldn't see it.  We wanted them to see it.   We did it to force them to cover it.   We didn't want to fool them, we wanted them to pick it up.  Go ahead, keep your TE and RB in.  Now every one is in 1-1s and we are going to win one of the matchups.  Fox won something like 45% of is rushes.

In Burns' presser he said he and Reddick are making each other better talking rushing everyday.  Sharing technique and strategies to make each other better. 

This defense is a problem.  You have to establish the run.

• Pie 2

18 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Gotdamn, this quote...

It's entirely possible that the primary reason Carolina's defense is ready to set fire to the NFL is that, outside of the fact that Snow now has the personnel to run everything he wants, a college-minded defensive coach who learned to defend modern offenses at an elevated level now has the same thing on lock in the pros. It was bound to happen eventually, and right now, nobody in the league seems to know what to do against it.

mood erection GIF

• Flames 2

20 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Gotdamn, this quote...

It's entirely possible that the primary reason Carolina's defense is ready to set fire to the NFL is that, outside of the fact that Snow now has the personnel to run everything he wants, a college-minded defensive coach who learned to defend modern offenses at an elevated level now has the same thing on lock in the pros. It was bound to happen eventually, and right now, nobody in the league seems to know what to do against it.

You beat me to it.  🙂  Sorry I was posting it at the same time apparently.

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Here we are doing the exact same ordinary corner blitz 3 times in a row:

Our formations can be odd, but that's not the secret sauce.  Its the epic talent on the line and man coverage on the receivers taking away the quick throws.  They have to go to total pass pro, removing at least one (TE) or two (TE and RB) pass options and they can't double team on the line leaving 1-1 match ups.  With 1 on 1s,  Brown, Daquan, and Nixon  are eventually going to get thru.  

Really the only way out of this I can see is successfully running the ball.  Titans could be a problem for us, good thing they aren't on the schedule.  Fournette will need to have a good day when we play TB if they are going to beat us.

Just keep doing it over and over again until they can beat it! 

What was it Cam said?  Something like "you don't like it? Then stop me."

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, shaqattaq said:

That is why it will take a while for others to copy cat Snow. Rhule spent 8 consecutive draft picks (plus a few more) and a good part of this off season building this defensive personnel. Snow did well last season, as the article points out, with only 1/2 the pieces in place. NOW he has the rest of them, so he can do everything he wanted. 

You really cannot copy how, where and when to use these concepts.  You can watch video on formations and personnel and try to copy them sure. But knowing when, where and how is something completely different.  That comes from experience. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

We just had a dominant showing against the Aints and we're still like 14 at the highest on most of the power rankings out there. The media doesn't give a crap about us until we essentially force them to. And that can only happen once we start ragging on contender and big name teams, like we did in 2015. If we smash the Texans and then the Cowgirls I can see the media starting to take us seriously, but not just the Texans.

11 is the highest I have seen us in the various national power rankings....BUT you have to consider where we started.  Everybody had us ranked in the bottom 3 or 4 team in the NFL.  In only 2 weeks we've gone up 15-18 spots in some rankings.  A few more wins and we are going to be in Top 5 territory.  Hell, I could see us being Top 3 if we win tomorrow and then beat Dallas next week. 

• Pie 1

Just now, joemac said:

11 is the highest I have seen us in the various national power rankings....BUT you have to consider where we started.  Everybody had us ranked in the bottom 3 or 4 team in the NFL.  In only 2 weeks we've gone up 15-18 spots in some rankings.  A few more wins and we are going to be in Top 5 territory.  Hell, I could see us being Top 3 if we win tomorrow and then beat Dallas next week. 

We'll see, there are still plenty of teams ahead of us in most of them that have no business being ahead of us. It took a long ass time for us to get the respect we deserved in 2015. In fact, many still had the Seahawks and Cardinals beating us in the playoffs even after we dominated our way to 15-1.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, PghPanther said:

as far as worry warts two games in the season............fans tend to climb a wall of worry all season as their team progresses................and you can't blame them because one bad hit to a starting QB of any team in this league could sink your season fast....

In regards to the Snow defense..............time will tell.........the fact the high flying Saint offense from week 1 performed so poorly against Panthers D in week two may factor in with some key starters missing due to covid on the part of the Saints.........

Meanwhile Panthers have trying to keep a healthy o-line a bit of a challenge this week. 

Except there was no difference from the offense we played vs the one that played the second half of the Packers game.  All the new injuries/COVID was on the defensive side of the ball regarding starters playing.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Snow is extremely legit and I said it last year when people were ragging on the D without being able to see the significant roster holes he was working with.

But, 8 consecutive draft picks spent on the defense including two top 10 overall picks and signing last year's 3rd ranked sack artist certainly haven't hurt efforts.

Rhule is clearly trying to build the Panthers the same way he build Temple and Baylor - dominant defense paired with decent offense. I know we can field a competitive team that way, but I'm not certain we can compete for titles that way. We shall see.

OR... he built the hard hitting D that he needs to win, and NOW he can finish up building the offense. We extended Moton and Anderson (a Rhule pickup last year) and picked up the 5th year options on DJ and Sam. 

• Pie 1