• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yahoo.com article: How Phil Snow turned the Panthers’ defense into the NFL’s new nightmare

BlitzMonster

4 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

Man I love it but we're two games in. Can we pump the brakes a little?

I hear you... and my history with the Panthers makes me cringe and prepare for the fall when we start getting hyped....

But still, gotta say, it's so fun this week to see heads exploding.  You can practically see the reactions live as people look at the defensive stats.  "Like WTH?!!!!  Panthers are leading in EVERY MAJOR defensive stat?  #1 in DVOA?  How the H is this happening??!!!"  So many analysts (not to mention opposing Offensive Coordinators) are now scrambling to try and figure out what is going on!!  

I'm here for the ride!  Hope it's a long one all the way to the playoffs....!

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

I was watching some nfl program where one guy said that snow does a lot of stuff you see on the offensive side of the ball only with defensive players. Not sure what that means. But then another former Dallas player said snow’s defense reminded him a lot of wade phillips.

Yeah, I think I saw that too.  Basically talked about using one of our D line guys like you would use a pulling guard on the O line.... 

4 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I hear you... and my history with the Panthers makes me cringe and prepare for the fall when we start getting hyped....

But still, gotta say, it's so fun this week to see heads exploding.  You can practically see the reactions live as people look at the defensive stats.  "Like WTH?!!!!  Panthers are leading in EVERY MAJOR defensive stat?  #1 in DVOA?  How the H is this happening??!!!"  So many analysts (not to mention opposing Offensive Coordinators) are now scrambling to try and figure out what is going on!!  

I'm here for the ride!  Hope it's a long one all the way to the playoffs....!

I'm on board. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, BlitzMonster said:

The 2020 draft was fantastic at adding serious defensive talent to this team.   And adding Horn & Bouye might be the last pieces of this puzzle.   Being able to have CB who can go single coverage on talented receivers really opens up the possibilities for exotic blitzes and crazy pressure on the QB.  

Horn & Bouye were a serious upgrade to our secondary for sure.

But I think adding DaQuan was equally huge.  He appears to be a big part of the reason why we've all of a sudden finally improved against the run after just STINKING in that for a few seasons.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, KB_fan said:

Horn & Bouye were a serious upgrade to our secondary for sure.

But I think adding DaQuan was equally huge.  He appears to be a big part of the reason why we've all of a sudden finally improved against the run after just STINKING in that for a few seasons.

I think we may have had Brown focusing a bit too much last year on upgrading his pass rush at the expense of his run stuffing. I expected him to be a dominant run stuff right out of the gate and a work in progress as a pass rusher. IMO, he was a better pass rusher than run stuffer as a rookie and that was surprising. This year he's just looking like a flat out monster.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

You really cannot copy how, where and when to use these concepts.  You can watch video on formations and personnel and try to copy them sure. But knowing when, where and how is something completely different.  That comes from experience. 

And some of these guys have years of experience running it under Snow at Temple & Baylor.  I know we all groan and joke a bit about Rhule's love for his former players, but I think we're beginning to see why he did it...

Anyone have a handy breakdown of how many Temple / Baylor players we have on offense vs. defense on the current roster?  I can look later, but want to catch up on some other things first.

18 minutes ago, PanthersGOATFan336 said:

Humor me this...the last say 5 or so superbowl champions what were they ranked in terms of overall offense and defense?

I can look that up later tonight if no one beats me to it.  I'm about to sign off for a bit, but will be back on around 9 pm.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

And some of these guys have years of experience running it under Snow at Temple & Baylor.  I know we all groan and joke a bit about Rhule's love for his former players, but I think we're beginning to see why he did it...

Anyone have a handy breakdown of how many Temple / Baylor players we have on offense vs. defense on the current roster?  I can look later, but want to catch up on some other things first.

It was a good move to get as many of his players and staff as he reasonably could because it allows him to instill his way if doing things faster. 

These players help each other learn and the more of his guys we have the more the culture changes. In a few years when those guys are gone the new guys will be grizzled vets teaching the new kids how it is down around here.

• Pie 1

The defensive line scheme is very good but not that unique. The Ravens and the Steelers have run variations of this for years. It is exactly what I have been advocating for the past year. I doubt it is chance that we are running schemes like the Steelers and Tepper was part owner of the Steelers. I imagine he let's coaches do their thing but I think he had a say in the overall scheme and how aggressive he wants them to be. 

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The defensive line scheme is very good but not that unique. The Ravens and the Steelers have run variations of this for years. It is exactly what I have been advocating for the past year. I doubt it is chance that we are running schemes like the Steelers and Tepper was part owner of the Steelers. I imagine he let's coaches do their thing but I think he had a say in the overall scheme and how aggressive he wants them to be. 

It appears to me that Tepper found a coach who ran a system that he was looking for and not one who would change things for his own sake.

• Beer 1