• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wow moments this week..

WOW!!

Sam doesn't get enough credit for his accuracy, imo.    It's always "he sucks, he was on the Jets and sucked.  Did I mention he sucks?  Did I also mention I wanted Justin Fields? WAAAAH!" by the Peanut Gallery.

Anyway, yeah.   Sam can make some plays on the run.    He also has to be careful in making sure that the person he's throwing to is wide open and not try to force it 'cause that's where he would get in trouble.

He's already had 2 such passes (one in both the Jets and Saints game) where he was almost picked off because of that.    Sometimes the Hero Ball comes out of Sam....and he needs to learn that throwing the ball away and trying again in the Next down is wiser than rolling the dice....

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 3

43 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Sam doesn't get enough credit for his accuracy, imo.    It's always "he sucks, he was on the Jets and sucked.  Did I mention he sucks?  Did I also mention I wanted Justin Fields? WAAAAH!" by the Peanut Gallery.

Anyway, yeah.   Sam can make some plays on the run.    He also has to be careful in making sure that the person he's throwing to is wide open and not try to force it 'cause that's where he would get in trouble.

He's already had 2 such passes (one in both the Jets and Saints game) where he was almost picked off because of that.    Sometimes the Hero Ball comes out of Sam....and he needs to learn that throwing the ball away and trying again in the Next down is wiser than rolling the dice....

I have to disagree.. And let me say I'm still not sure Sam is a franchise QB or this teams franchise QB for the future.. But from what I've seen in 2 games.. He has one mistake (the fumbled handoff at the goal line).. 3 Bone head Jet's Darnold plays (the shove pass while being sacked and 2 throws that was hero ball doing to much in the jets game one in the Saints game).. Other then those plays he's been safe with the ball, accurate, good in the pocket and maybe good reads.. And a big difference from Teddy.. His unscripted plays are still throws and not runs and he gives his weapons a chance to make plays.. 

Example.. The throw to Robbie in man coverage down the middle of the field when he could have taken the dump off to CMC ...  Teddy would have just taken the dump off instead of giving his Wr a chance to make a play for more yards..

I also like the plan to work with Sam.. Treat him like a rookie Game manager... Until he can get the 3 years of Jets football off him and out his head... Depend on the defense and spoon feed Sam little more each game.. Until you can see if we truly have a top 3 talented prospect QB that he was 4 years ago... This is a reclamation project and so far so good..

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, WOW!! said:

I have to disagree.. And let me say I'm still not sure Sam is a franchise QB or this teams franchise QB for the future.. But from what I've seen in 2 games.. He has one mistake (the fumbled handoff at the goal line).. 3 Bone head Jet's Darnold plays (the shove pass while being sacked and 2 throws that was hero ball doing to much in the jets game one in the Saints game).. Other then those plays he's been safe with the ball, accurate, good in the pocket and maybe good reads.. And a big difference from Teddy.. His unscripted plays are still throws and not runs and he gives his weapons a chance to make plays.. 

Example.. The throw to Robbie in man coverage down the middle of the field when he could have taken the dump off to CMC ...  Teddy would have just taken the dump off instead of giving his Wr a chance to make a play for more yards..

I also like the plan to work with Sam.. Treat him like a rookie Game manager... Until he can get the 3 years of Jets football off him and out his head... Depend on the defense and spoon feed Sam little more each game.. Until you can see if we truly have a top 3 talented prospect QB that he was 4 years ago... This is a reclamation project and so far so good..

I see what you're saying but I can't help but wonder what Tepper's take is on all this regarding Sam.

8 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Sometimes the Hero Ball comes out of Sam....and he needs to learn that throwing the ball away and trying again in the Next down is wiser than rolling the dice....

Yeah, he has to learn to understand the situation. That pick to the DL was horrible for several reasons. It's 17-0 bro, their offense is incapable of moving the chains against us....take the sack there. Overall, I think he did great. 

11 hours ago, WOW!! said:

2 plays by Darnold...

The unscripted escape from Cam Jordan (while holding on to the ball 1 handgrip) throw between 2 defenders to Arnold...

Tight laser throw while moving into a tight window.. Haven't seen that in a while from a Panthers QB...

2. TD pass to DJ into tight coverage while saving the WR from taking a big hit from the LB..  By throwing it low so DJ can avoid the hit..

That's just undervalued good QBing keeping your teammates safe while getting the job done..

That textbook TD to Zylstra, which was obviously a designed played but still. Was magically perfect. Split the zone, Zylstra ran it perfect. Saints had nobody on him cause they didn’t think in a million years the ball would go his way. Darnold played the roll out perfect, looking like he was gonna run for the sticks to get the defense to bite up a bit. Not to mention perfect spiral back across his body(though it was probably half a foot too high) Props to both of them and Brady for that one. 

Honestly that was probably the best play off the game offensively. Just textbook perfect. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

10 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

He really doesn't.  I have been VERY impressed by his accuracy thus far.  Its been quite a while since we've had a QB here who just about always puts the ball right on the guys numbers and in perfect position for YAC.  This is what Sam does on the regular.  

• Pie 3