• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Haasan Reddick

Pantherxtreme

With regards to him taking a discount, I will believe when I see it. Really can’t see Reddick taking any sort of major discount to stay. This will be his one and probably only chance to cash in to last him for the rest of his life. He should take the highest guaranteed number he is offered.

5 minutes ago, Bartin said:

With regards to him taking a discount, I will believe when I see it. Really can’t see Reddick taking any sort of major discount to stay. This will be his one and probably only chance to cash in to last him for the rest of his life. He should take the highest guaranteed number he is offered.

Correct, the idea of players taking discounts is pretty much a fantasy fans like to dream about. In reality players are/should be looking out for there own financial best interest and I don’t blame anyone for doing so.

• Pie 2

I still think we overpaid Robby. We have so much good talent on the roster and needed that money to pay some of the upcoming free agents. 15 million per year for Robby is top 10 receiver money and I just don't think he's a top 10 NFL receiver. Happy he's here and nothing bad to say about him, I just think 10 million per year was more in line with where he should be.

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m not sure how we’re gonna figure out his payday. Brian has two more years (fifth year option) on his rookie deal and we’re probably looking at a gigantic deal for him. Then if Sam works out we gotta sign him to a sizable payday. Then we got DJ.  Lots of sizable contracts coming up. I know we got the space but we need to be smart.

Assuming Darnold proves to be extension worthy, I’m not sure he’ll break the bank. While he will get paid, it’s unlikely he’ll warrant a huff deal by the time we are extending him and even if he’s coming off of a monster season, I would imagine he would prefer to stick around in Carolina after we revived his career, especially after experiencing the NYJ and how important it is to find the right fit.

DJ will be paid elite money. Burns will be paid elite money. Reddick will be paid close to elite but similar to my hopes for Darnold, he may take a little less to stick here with Rhule and Snow who he obviously loved playing for. 

We are one of the most cap abundant teams. I think we will manage to work this all out.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, TheBlue said:

Correct, the idea of players taking discounts is pretty much a fantasy fans like to dream about. In reality players are/should be looking out for there own financial best interest and I don’t blame anyone for doing so.

They are willing to take some discounts but what a player thinks is a discount and what fans think is a discount is a gulf as wide as an ocean. To a fan, a discount on a $15M/year contract offer is $10M/year to stay where he is. To a player, it’s like $14.75M/year

Edited by Bartin
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, portcity said:

I still think we overpaid Robby. We have so much good talent on the roster and needed that money to pay some of the upcoming free agents. 15 million per year for Robby is top 10 receiver money and I just don't think he's a top 10 NFL receiver. Happy he's here and nothing bad to say about him, I just think 10 million per year was more in line with where he should be.

I understand your point, but it's all about resource allocation per position.  Many teams have 2 high-priced receivers... that shouldn't cripple a well-managed cap.  

We can dispute the amount paid to Robby, but locking him up for another 2 years was a good GM move.  Solidifies that position and allows you to develop 2 drafted guys (Terrace Marshall & Shi Smith) on rookie deals.  Doing this will allow us to sustainably build a good WR corp.

The biggest thing missing with Hurney was the bad drafting that forced the team to sign many FA's for higher money (even if they weren't that good) to fill roster spots.  Better-ran teams fill those spots with draft picks, which allows them to pay their core elite talent guys and occasionally splurge on a big-ticket FA.

With Hurney, too many times we overspent to fill positions that should have been filled through better drafting, and then we compounded the issue b/c the FA's we signed to fill those roles sucked and then we cut them and had to eat dead cap.

That's not to say we never had any success under Hurney, but I do think it was a major factor in why the Panthers have never been able to sustain success via back-to-back winning seasons.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Pantherxtreme said:

Definitely is looking like the league's best free agent signing of the offseason.  In his last 17 games Reddick has 15.5 that's tops in the NFL. And being able to pair this beast with Brian Burns is just unfair and has transformed this pass rush into the best in the league.  Locking him up long term has to be number 1 priority for the front office. 

Reddick blowing up Jets offensive guard as he's pulling.

[IMG]

I wonder if that's the play Hartsfield got injured on? He comes up grabbing his wrist.

• Pie 2