• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Blessing in disguise

SmittysLawnGuy

Not a blessing, but it is a potential bright spot.

Losing the best safety valve of this offense is never ideal. 100 times out of 10 you'd rather have CMC healthy and Sam Darnold slowly getting acclimated to stepping up.

Nevertheless, it does jump the schedule for Darnold to start making plays for himself. His work tonight showed he does have what it takes. However, being able to build upon it and do it consistently is the question.

Ideally, he gets a few more weeks to get his groove in, but circumstances have brought him to the frontlines. Hopefully he shows he has what it takes.

• Pie 7

Creepy, I was about to start a thread with this exact phrase in the title.

As I said in the Horn thread, this isn't a SB team yet, so ironically, losing CMC for a little bit might be the best thing that could happen to this franchise.

I entered this year with literally, one and only one goal... to go into the offseason knowing if we want Darnold to be our franchise QB moving forward.

Yes, CMC in the game can certainly make him a better player of course, but there is no better way to know what he's got than to see him have to operate without CMC back there.  So yes, for the greater good of this franchise's future, I think playing the next month (or more) without CMC will actually be the best thing that could happen to us long term.

As I think if we leave this season thinking Darnold is our QB of the future, we'll be able to lock him up for 4-6 years at 20-25 million a year, which is going to be an ABSOLUTE BARGAIN in a year or two when bottom half of the league QB's are making near 30 million a year once the new TV contracts kick in.

This team in 2 years, with a bargain price QB could be SCARY dangerous with guys in their prime like DJ, Burns, Chinn, Brown, Horn, and hopefully a healthy CMC.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

You can't make much of the gameplan of Darnold to McCaffrey. When healthy he is the best player on the field. On a 4 day gamre on the road you have to go with basics and tried and true.  The halftime adjustments were great. And no matter how much you shine that turd it is still a turd. This was bad news unless he is back for Dallas. Darnold took a lot of abuse with McCaffrey out including missed blocking assignments with lineman  coming in untouched.

• Pie 3

For the franchise... I agree.  Darnold is going to be put to the test at a level we didn't expect much sooner without CMC.  So far, the 2nd half suggests he may be up to the challenge.  But we will see when it's against a better team.  I believe he can do it.

For our prospects this season, tho... We really need CMC to maximize the offense.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You can't make much of the gameplan of Darnold to McCaffrey. When healthy he is the best player on the field. On a 4 day gamre on the road you have to go with basics and tried and true.  The halftime adjustments were great. And no matter how much you shine that turd it is still a turd. This was bad news unless he is back for Dallas. Darnold took a lot of abuse with McCaffrey out including missed blocking assignments with lineman  coming in untouched.

How do you not see that helping him when he's not there? Now when he comes back, poof magic!

14 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Not a blessing, but it is a potential bright spot.

Losing the best safety valve of this offense is never ideal. 100 times out of 10 you'd rather have CMC healthy and Sam Darnold slowly getting acclimated to stepping up.

Nevertheless, it does jump the schedule for Darnold to start making plays for himself. His work tonight showed he does have what it takes. However, being able to build upon it and do it consistently is the question.

Ideally, he gets a few more weeks to get his groove in, but circumstances have brought him to the frontlines. Hopefully he shows he has what it takes.

Ain't no few more weeks. He's about to see 3 legit teams. May not have the best defenses in Dallas and Minnesota but Philly has a good D right now and the other 2 teams are high powered offenses. He's gonna have to score points. I believe in our D, but it's going to be hard to stop Dallas and Minnesota.