• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Blessing in disguise

SmittysLawnGuy

I was also thinking it's blessing, not just because Sam can't rely solely on CMC anymore, but because now, defenses don't have that one guy to key on...  it makes it harder for them to gameplan.  If we can spread the offense out and open things up with the ball getting distributed more efficiently and in turn, open up the run game, it could really help us in ways we couldn't have ever imagined...  then we will really be clicking by the time CMC comes back.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I was also thinking it's blessing, not just because Sam can't rely solely on CMC anymore, but because now, defenses don't have that one guy to key on...  it makes it harder for them to gameplan.  If we can spread the offense out and open things up with the ball getting distributed more efficiently and in turn, open up the run game, it could really help us in ways we couldn't have ever imagined...  then we will really be clicking by the time CMC comes back.

That's exactly what my drunk ass was trying to say.

8 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

If you really think not having the best RB in the entire NFL to gameplan for makes thing harder you are on something wild.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, App Panther said:

If you really think not having the best RB in the entire NFL to gameplan for makes thing harder you are on something wild.

Ironically, I actually think you're very wrong, but agree with the sentiment you're trying to portray, LOL.

I think not having CMC makes it easier to GAMEPLAN against us, however it makes it significantly easier to EXECUTE against us.

As the person you're quoting was trying to say, game planning against us is rather easy with CMC in the lineup, as all your prep work is about defending him.  Now actually doing it, and doing it effectively isn't easy at all.

But now that we don't have him, there really isn't an obvious way to gameplay against our offense, yes there is trying to take away DJ, but that's not the same as CMC.

So yes, I get what you're saying, in essence, you're correct, however in actuality, it actually might be "harder" for a DC to gameplan against us now because there are now 25-30 touches a game that you honestly don't know where they're going to go in our offense.  Before, you could guarantee CMC was touching it that many times, so it made it "easier" for the defense to gameplay against it, because you know what you go after.

Granted, yo couldn't actually defend it o the field, but at least it made it easier in terms of what you wanted to gameplay against, if that makes sense haha.

So yes, the post you were quoting was TECHINCALLY correct in a way, it also was very wrong, just depends on how you read/interpret it lol.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TheBigKat said:

It's never a 'blessing' to lose a top 3 NFL RB 

This x1000.

Sam is much better having the safety net of one of the top weapons in the league.

The only thing that MIGHT be a blessing is Hubbard getting increased game reps. At least his development should ramp up and we will know if we finally have a long term backup RB.

• Pie 2

Brady's safety blanket, CMC, was just taken away from him. 

Not only that, CMC's backups will now get some playing time/experience before the team reaches the more challenging part of the schedule.  None of that is a bad thing.  Also, Sam will have to rely more on the rest of his numerous weapons, hopefully developing a stronger chemistry with them.

Yeah, the learning curve just got a little steeper for several Panther players and coaches, but it's not insurmountable and could set this team up for success later this year.  Being less dependent on CMC in order to win will make this team more flexible and dynamic.   

Finally, when CMC returns, hopefully we won't have to run him into the ground, allowing him to remain healthy and fresh down the stretch and into the post season.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, App Panther said:

Not what I was saying.  CMC is tough to gameplam for, and obviously hard to stop.  But, we have enough skilled playmakers on this team that that should be just as difficult to plan for, in its own unique way.  If I'm a DC, I'd much rather have to gameplan to stop one RB/WR rather than having to limit touches for 3 capable WRs, 2 RBs, and a couple TEs.

TBH, we really need to get out of this mindset that our offense is best running through one guy.  It effectively ended Cam's career, and CMC isn't on a good track currently either.  Look at the successful teams in the league over the last decade or so that are in the playoffs consistently.  They have great QBs, surrounded by well-rounded, talented casts.  TB now, Seattle, LAR, BAL, SF, PIT, NO, etc., None of those teams have a touch-dominant player on the level of CMC that isn't the QB.  NO is about the only team close with Kamara, but they even had Ingram and Murray with him, so he wasn't overworked.  TEN is the only real exception with Derrick Henry, but that truly is an aberration because he is built like an effing tank with speed we've never seen before at that position and size.  I know CMC wants to dominate the touches, but look where it's getting him and us.

It's time to shift that mentality for his longevity and our success.  When he's out there, great, we have a mismatch everytime to take advantage of when we need it.  But, him being out there 99% of the plays and force feeding him is not a formula for long-term success.  We need to keep Sam upright and distribute the ball more efficiently.  Robby needs more targets.  TMJ, too.  Spread the offense out and open up the run game as well.  The blueprint has been there...  that's much harder to stop, imo, than having to plan for one guy who may or may not finish the game bc he's running himself into the ground, no matter how talented he is when healthy.  We've seen this movie before, and it didn't end well for the star.

Wtf is in the water here? CMC out a good thing, heck no.  

The 2nd half is your measuring stick? What about the 1st half with and without CMC. Lord have mercy this is like Kyle Allen all fuging over again, loose a guy and still get wins so must be that the guy that went down wasn't as valuable as believed. Sorry but the O was putting together nice drives with. CMC in all year. 

It's annoying he is out, again, he is such a large part of the offense and salary cap to boot. With CMC, we know he gives the team a huge weapon that's a matchup nightmare and is a big threat every time he's out there healthy. That's gone now and we will have to use a ton of parts that are a lot more 1 dimensional to fill in for him. He is more than a safety blanket......

Long term the real question that people don't want to hear: is a RB worth the salary he is getting? In some ways because he is such a great receiver and runner (other than the oddity that is short yardage results) he might be vs a more traditional back.  Then again would putting that money into, IDK, a better LT worth it?