• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold - Proven Against Adversity

Saca312

6 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

There’s going to come a time when we’re playing from behind and he’s asked to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t and that crowd will sadly jump all over that. I actually hope he does go throw some growing pains with this team this season. Just for his development sake. Sam ain’t broken. This is his first year actually learning how to play QB. So far he’s been great. 

At the end of day he’s already proven that he can play. He’s 24. A year younger than Josh Allen and 2 years younger than Baker Mayfield. 

I actually thought we were toast when CMC went down. Just because so much of the game plan revolves around him and to change that mid game is tough. Sam came out in the second half an area where we’ve struggled and balled the hell out.

I do agree that he came out in the 2nd half and balled out.  I am a very happy Panther Fan because I think Fitterer and Rhule stole him from the Jets.  That said, lets not forget that Hubbard came out a different RB than he was in the 1st half.  Giving him the opportunity to practice as the #1 RB in practice is going to help us.

Darnold led us in the 2nd half and Hubbard did a good job filling in. 

He's not CMC but he has the potential to be an important part of our offense. 

• Beer 2

https://247sports.com/Article/Carolina-Panthers-Sam-Darnold-continues-to-grow-into-lead-role-impresses-teammates-coaching-staff-Matt-Rhule--171618958/

“I think, No. 1, if you watch the way we called the game, it means we trust him. Even on the last drive, we're throwing four verticals with him,” Panthers head coach Matt Rhule said of Darnold. “I say to myself all the time, These are professional football players. They've been doing this their whole lives. Let them go play. Don't try to over-manage the game. Let them go play, let them make plays. Sometimes you go for it fourth and half a foot and you don't get it and they make a play, and sometimes we go make a play.

“I think one thing about Sam, he has some moxie. He stayed in the pocket. Had that long run called back, but finding Terrace on the third and 12, I mean, there were some huge conversions by Sam. Again, it's just him playing within the system, but also I think he has a courageousness, but he's not crossing the line going over the top. He's protecting the football and still pushing the ball down there, and look at the play Alex Erickson made. That ball, is it going to be picked, is it not going to be picked. Makes a great play. So a lot of production from a lot of different places."

Through three games, Darnold currently leads the league with 888 passing yards and is tied with running backs Derrick Henry and Nick Chubb for the most rushing scores with three to his name. By coming out of the gates strong, Darnold seems to have quickly demonstrated what he is capable of in a new setting in Carolina. 

“That he can ball man,” Panthers linebacker Haason Reddick said. “Sam, he’s a gamer. Guy’s a flat-out baller right now.” 

“We got a good one, man,” Panthers left tackle Cameron Erving said. “We’ve got a good one and he’s only going to get better. It’s always hard playing without one of your best players, but Sam stepped up and did a tremendous job tonight.” 

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Where are the posters saying Darnold can only hit check downs to CMC?

Where are the posters questioning his leadership?

Come on out, guys. Tell me why Darnold isnt going to work out because he's the same he was in NY under Gase.

Yeah its nice.  Its is AWESOME that certain doomsayers have disappeared.

They are sulking secretly hoping we flop so they can come back on the board and say "I told you so."  Some are brave enough to keep repeating "It's early yet."   over and over until its late.

It is early.  But the early returns look good for the panthers and bad for the huddle whiners.

• Pie 3

19 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Where are the posters saying Darnold can only hit check downs to CMC?

Where are the posters questioning his leadership?

Come on out, guys. Tell me why Darnold isnt going to work out because he's the same he was in NY under Gase.

well as far as checkdowns…

That really wasn’t the critique.  Sam isn’t a checkdown QB.   The complaint was through camp, preseason and week 1 he appeared to be coached into being one.    Because that isn’t how he has ever played…and we didn’t need to ask him to be Teddy.   Could of just kept Teddy who is great at that if that is what they were going to do with Sam. 

He is now playing the field like he always has.  Which is good.   

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

That really wasn’t the critique.  Sam isn’t a checkdown QB.   The complaint was through camp, preseason and week 1 he appeared to be coached into being one.    Because that isn’t how he has ever played…and we didn’t need to ask him to be Teddy.   Could of just kept Teddy who is great at that if that is what they were going to do with Sam. 

Sure I remember you posting that….awhile back now.

34 minutes ago, CRA said:

He is now playing the field like he always has.  Which is good.   

Fair enough.  It felt like a critique he wasn't seeing the field enough.  I agree that he was being coached to take what defenses give him... the offense is predicated on short timing routes that include the RB... So it does make sense.