Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

  • panthers-redskins-1.jpg

McCaffrey and Horn Injury Updates


Proudiddy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Report: Jaycee Horn likely facing 2-3 month recovery with broken bones in foot


The Panthers had several players go down with injuries in Thursday’s victory over the Texans and there’s a little more clarity on what one of them is facing for his recovery.

According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport, Carolina fears cornerback Jaycee Horn broke multiple bones in the metatarsal area of his foot. Surgery is an option for Horn and he’s likely looking at a two-to-three month recovery period. That would put Horn back on the field either late in the season or the injury could be season-ending.

 
 

Head coach Matt Rhule had said after Thursday’s game that the fear was Horn broke “a couple of bones” in his foot. But at that point, the head coach was unsure of Horn’s potential recovery time.

The Panthers selected Horn with the eighth overall pick in this year’s draft and he has lived up to the billing. The cornerback played nearly every defensive snap of Carolina’s first two games before playing 67 percent of them in last night’s contest. He left the game early in the third quarter.

Running back Christian McCaffrey and safety Juston Burris also had to exit Thursday’s game with injuries, though it’s currently unclear how much time they’ll miss.

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/24/report-jaycee-horn-likely-facing-2-3-month-recovery-with-broken-bones-in-foot/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, lightsout said:

I'll say this about CMC. I had a slightly torn labrum in college from a football injury. It still doesn't feel right sometimes, especially if I'm going heavy on overhead press or if my bench form falters.

Granted the labrum doesn't self repair like a partially torn hammy will, but still. This has the potential to nag/reoccur with CMC going forward

 

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but I don't think any injuries "regular folks" suffer, even college football players in the past, can compare at all to these elite athletes with the resources they have available and with how insane their bodies are these days.

Definitely true based on what we've seen in the NFL though that any hamstring injury/soft tissue injury will have the potential to linger and reoccur, which sucks.

  • Pie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

One bone or two bones, takes the same amount of time to heal.  It's not like if you more bones break it takes longer to heal.  He's going to be out 8 weeks minimum though.  Maybe 6, but those bones are a bit thicker and I would think would take longer to heal compared to if was lower down on the foot.

True, but I'm just pointing out, everyone and every bone heals differently.  And with it being more than one bone broken, that makes the injury as a whole more complex.  Now you're not just checking for healing in one bone, you're treating and following up multiple.  I just think that's more concerning than if it was one bone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We better handle this right though with the surgery decision. Him returning this season pales in comparison to his long term health and career here. Make whatever decision is best for his foot long term, even if that means he's out longer this season. 

  • Pie 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but I don't think any injuries "regular folks" suffer, even college football players in the past, can compare at all to these elite athletes with the resources they have available and with how insane their bodies are these days.

Definitely true based on what we've seen in the NFL though that any hamstring injury/soft tissue injury will have the potential to linger and reoccur, which sucks.

 

Yeah the lingering is what worries me. I don't want an expensive and hobbled CMC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

Horn's looked a lot like an ACL injury.  I'm glad it wasn't... But feel bad for the young man. Hopefully early reports are inaccurate and he can heal up fast.

 

When they showed the replay and I saw it was clearly of the non-contact variety, I feared he tore his achilles.  Not happy he apparently broke multiple bones in his foot, but I still say that's much better than a torn achilles.

  • Pie 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dpm0409 said:

When they showed the replay and I saw it was clearly of the non-contact variety, I feared he tore his achilles.  Not happy he apparently broke multiple bones in his foot, but I still say that's much better than a torn achilles.

That was my thinking too but I don't know enough to say.  Whatever the injury I just hope he makes a full recovery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

One bone or two bones, takes the same amount of time to heal.  It's not like if you more bones break it takes longer to heal.  He's going to be out 8 weeks minimum though.  Maybe 6, but those bones are a bit thicker and I would think would take longer to heal compared to if was lower down on the foot.

Yes, but which is easier?

10pc puzzle or 1000pc puzzle?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, PizzaTheHutt said:

so was it the turf? the cleats? I mean I was holding my breath when DJ went down too. The field was the real opponent last night. 

Something like this and the fact that it was a non-contact injury makes me wonder if there weren't some tiny microfractures picked up over years of playing before.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, lightsout said:

I'm suspecting Horn is gonna be out 6-8 weeks. Possibly shorter, depending on severity.

CMC is likely dependent on an MRI today. If it's not a full tear, and it doesn't appear to be, then I think he'll probably be out for anywhere from 3-8 weeks.

Honestly, not even that worried about all this. I'm very zen-like about it. Maybe the 3-0 record has me optimistic but it just feels like we're gonna be fine.

There is no way it’s only 6-8 weeks with his metatarsal completely fugged. We are looking at a mid to late December at best. 
 


Missing any time with CMC is gonna be huge though. Our offensive just became one dimensional  and doesn’t have CMC & the run game to build off of. And sorry but Chubba is not the answer this year. He needs a year maybe two to develop and a way better OL. Defenses now are a player up from who ever was spying on cmc, though I do have a lot of confidence in darnold to rectify that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

We better handle this right though with the surgery decision. Him returning this season pales in comparison to his long term health and career here. Make whatever decision is best for his foot long term, even if that means he's out longer this season. 

Agreed. I would prefer we bring in a FA and let Horn heal. Boyue-Jackson, though not great, would be fine with a vet that fits our system. There's some interesting names out there like Conley, Sherman, Dunbar and Josh Norman. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...