• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hamstring injury information

Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D.

I found a fantastic post on Reddit about hamstring injuries and average number of games missed.

Strength-Speed 774 points 3 hours ago*

They did a study on 38 NFL hamstring strains

Players missed 2.6 ± 3.1 games. Based on MRI, the hamstring injury involved the biceps femoris long head in 34 cases and the proximal and distal hamstrings in 25 and 22 cases, respectively. When < 50% of the muscle was involved, the average number of games missed was 1.8; if > 75%, then 3.2. Ten players had retraction, missing 5.5 games. By MRI, grade I injuries yielded an average of 1.1 missed games; grade II, 1.7; and grade III, 6.4. Players who missed 0 or 1 game had an MRI score of 8.2; 2 or 3 games, 11.1; and 4 or more games, 13.9.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445213/

• Beer 1

Games are thought of as discrete data.  You play in a game or you don't.  Yes / No.  

Here the study is talking about averages.  In statistical terms, averages are continuous.  You can have an average of 2.6 games.  Or 2.3333.  Or 2.19293.  A continuous measure can include any fraction because you're looking at an overall summary of a whole bunch of games.  

The most important conclusion of the study is the average of 2.6 games missed for hamstring injuries.  So the best guess is that CMC will miss the next 2 or 3 games.    

• Pie 2

58 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

I found a fantastic post on Reddit about hamstring injuries and average number of games missed.

Strength-Speed 774 points 3 hours ago*

They did a study on 38 NFL hamstring strains

Players missed 2.6 ± 3.1 games. Based on MRI, the hamstring injury involved the biceps femoris long head in 34 cases and the proximal and distal hamstrings in 25 and 22 cases, respectively. When < 50% of the muscle was involved, the average number of games missed was 1.8; if > 75%, then 3.2. Ten players had retraction, missing 5.5 games. By MRI, grade I injuries yielded an average of 1.1 missed games; grade II, 1.7; and grade III, 6.4. Players who missed 0 or 1 game had an MRI score of 8.2; 2 or 3 games, 11.1; and 4 or more games, 13.9.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445213/

I can’t trust this until I know what your doctorate is in 

48 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

Games are thought of as discrete data.  You play in a game or you don't.  Yes / No.  

Here the study is talking about averages.  In statistical terms, averages are continuous.  You can have an average of 2.6 games.  Or 2.3333.  Or 2.19293.  A continuous measure can include any fraction because you're looking at an overall summary of a whole bunch of games.  

The most important conclusion of the study is the average of 2.6 games missed for hamstring injuries.  So the best guess is that CMC will miss the next 2 or 3 games.    

I'm going to guess 3 to err on the side of caution

• Pie 1