• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Huddle's Thoughts on Joe Brady?

t96

What is everyone's thoughts on him at this point in his short Panthers career? I think last year and the first couple weeks there have been some clear weaknesses at times but he's overall been solid. Yesterday was very encouraging, red zone play calls were much better and the offense was able to adjust well in the 2nd half without our best weapon, but play calling has still been a concern at times. Play design and overall system seems to be a pretty unanimous strength of his.

One of the biggest litmus tests of Brady is how well Darnold develops in his system and so far he is passing that test with flying colors. Of course it's still very early but if Sam continues his resurgence throughout the season I would think teams would be lining up to target this guy as a HC, I mean he already got interviews last year despite the Teddy shitshow. 

- How concerned are you about losing him after this season (both for Darnold's continued development and for our general offense's success)? 

- More concerned after developing Darnold than if we had just lost him last year?

- Do you think his play calling, especially in red zone and short yardage, can be good enough to actually win games in the playoffs?

- How much do you think Rhule factors into this team's success/strengths on offense?

- Do you think a revolving door at OC could be fine under Rhule as long as Snow is a constant here and the D side of the ball stays a strength and the new OCs are promoted from within and keep Brady's system/concepts in place?

Let's hear it

• Pie 3

My expectations were probably too high for Joe Brady, so he's definitely been a bit of a disappointment to me.  Overall though, I can't say he's been bad.  His overall offensive design plays to the strengths of our players, and I think it's helping Sam Darnold get his career on the right track.

Brady's red zone play calling has visibly improved, and I think he'll continue to get better.  My only real gripes with him would be predictability on 1st and 10, and 4th and 1 or less.  This is not based on data but just anecdotal.  We always seem to run some auto pilot run up the gut play call on 1st down.  I don't hate that, but its a bit predictable when it's done too much.  I also do not like how we are insisting on being a power run team on 4th and short, even though that's the most common play call in the world.  We simply do not have the run blocking personnel with this line, or a true power back that's good at that.

I'm still a fan and think he has a lot of potential given there is absolutely a learning curve for a new-ish OC, someone who is only 32 years old.  And I hope we stick with him for a long time.

But honestly, at this present time, I think he is a tad overrated.  Not because I don't think he's good - I think a lot of problems people see are just him having to try and play-call around a terrible OL.  But he's also not this genius whiz that the media sometimes paint him as.  He's a solid play-caller with potential to be great one day.  Is he ready to be a HC?  Probably not but who knows.  Nobody can really know who is gonna be a great HC.

• Pie 5

We still suck in the red zone and short yardage which is partially on him and partially on the fact we might have the worst red zone and short yardage personnel in the NFL. We have no power back, the OL can’t get a push, no go up and get it WRs, no big reliable handed TE.

I think he’s starting to realize we need to do some silliness at the goal line which is why we saw an end around to a freaking TE and a read option keeper with Darnold.

I think he’s been pretty great between the 20s.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Bartin said:

We still suck in the red zone and short yardage which is partially on him and partially on the fact we might have the worst red zone and short yardage personnel in the NFL. We have no power back, the OL can’t get a push, no go up and get it WRs, no big reliable handed TE.

I think he’s starting to realize we need to do some silliness at the goal line which is why we saw an end around to a freaking TE and a read option keeper with Darnold.

I think he’s been pretty great between the 20s.

You can tell with Matt Rhule's mentality, he wants the team to be able to pound the rock on the goal line, but we simply don't have the horses to do it yet.

Glad to see Brady get creative last night.  Unfortunately, until we can improve the offensive line, especially the interior, we are going to need creativity to mask the lack of execution.

• Pie 1