• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Huddle's Thoughts on Joe Brady?

t96

My honest take on Brady is that he's a VERY young OC who's lucked into a sensational playbook on his travels (I assume from his time at the Saints) and is learning his craft.

He's a very bright guy, but he's still trying to figure out how this whole playcalling malarkey works. He doesn't have an innate feel for it imo. Some of the play calls are just daft.

I personally think he's mad applying for Head Coaching jobs. If he lucked into one it'd be the worst thing possible for his career - there's no way he'd be able to command a locker room. 

• Pie 2

28 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I don't disagree with anything here, however, the truly elite coordinators should be scheming around a known flaw rather that waiting for circumstances to change.  Particularly when the circumstances are personnel related.

Right now, Brady is operating at a 6.5 out of 10 level.  There are definitely some execution problems with the players, but that's also part of the coordinators job.  Get your players to execute.

Only so much scheming you can do around a weak OL though.  Especially short yardage and red zone IMO.   

I mean we can’t pick up a yard by handing the ball off….it’s not really a play-calling or lack of execution issue as it is simply just a lack of OL talent IMO.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I think a lot of times the fans are confusing the playcall with the plays success. He can call a perfect play and Darnold can miss the throw. That’s not on him. Last week a lot of people were calling him out for red zone play but Darnold flat out missed throws that he should make. 

He’s called a good enough game through three weeks that are defense gets rest and can continue to feast when they are on the field. Our calling card this year will be defense. He’s got to cater to the talent and I think he’s been good. Not great, but good. 

It’s hard to do much with a poo offensive line and we are moving the ball in the air and on the ground. We have trailed for exactly 0 seconds this season. If we could block just a tad longer I think we would start seeing more deep shots. That’s all we are missing but for now the line can’t be trusted to protect Sam long enough to throw deep. 

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

Don’t be so sure about Brady not being ready.  USC hired Kliff Kingsbury as our OC after he was fired from TT as the HC.  Damn Cardinals hired him as their HC out from under us.

You never know with these desperate franchises.

Kingsbury is not a good HC.

Our defense is putting our offense in a position to win by constantly forcing teams to punt. We should have be hanging 30 points a game against these weak defenses when controlling time of possession and against defenses that are depleted by injuries.

The offense looks leagues better than last year with Darnold at the helm over Teddy. But even the best defenses will struggle against the best offenses in today's NFL. If we want to compete against playoff teams, we need to be putting 30 a game on offense amd we have yet to do that.

I feel like we have timw to adjust to make these improvements. But in the meantime I put the blame on Brady for not being able to score 30 plus each of these 3 games. We have to do a better job scoring when we get to the red zone. We are failing 4th down conversions too often. Too many missed chances to compete against the too offenses. 

His scheme is great. His play calling is sometimes good, sometimes questionable. Darnold has had some wide open receivers he hasn’t looked at. Either because of unfamiliarity with the offense or pressure or other reasons. But then Brady has called mind numbing runs up the middle with a weak offense line. Makes me miss the Cam play action bootlegs to a wide open Olsen on 4th downs.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The two main elements to being an offensive coordinator are play calling and play design.

Right now I feel better about Brady's play designs than I do his playcalling, but I do feel like he's improving.

You nailed it Scot, and both are better than last year since last year he was a roaring failure, now he's much closer to being an NFL OC.

I think overlooked in the discussion of Joe Brady's merits is the dumb thing he is not doing. With a craptacular OL, he isn't doing those stupid slow developing long pass plays that kept getting Cam killed. That leads for the moment to underutilization of Anderson, but it's the right call. For his age and experience level he's ahead of the curve. Will def wind up as a HC somewhere.

• Pie 1

He's getting better with experience.

The guy has got the magical playbook, but he's still learning how and when to use it. There are going to be some mistakes along the way, or more of them, but you can just see that the foundation is there.

Sending CMC up the middle four plays in a row inside the 5 just wasn't working and it seemed that he wasn't ready to give up the concept yet. The short-term injury to CMC should force him to open up the book a bit more (a la the Tremble end around).