• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Sunday NFL games thread

Zod

4 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

[note: original post did not highlighting]

All our fans should get out of the mindset of promoting the incorrect perception of the Panthers being in a "small market".

Charlotte by itself is TV market #22, ahead of other cities with NFL teams like St Louis (23), Indy (25), Pittsburgh (26), Vegas (40), Jacksonville (43), New Orleans (50).

If you include Greenville/Spartanburg -- the panthers would be #12 just ahead of Phoenix and Seattle.  Throw in High Point/ Winston-Salem and we're ranked between San Francisco and Dallas. 

Saying "small town" just isn't accurate when you compare the "Carolina" marketing area to other parts of the country.

Yes now, hurney joined the Panthers in 98.

Just now, t96 said:

Good stuff. I’ve been restoring a ‘61 t bird, including rebuilding the engine and transmission. Been a really fun project. Not touching the interior though, not my expertise and it’s pretty solid as is.

Nice! I love old cars and trucks. They are much easier to work on and look so much better.  I've installed ac and added electronic fuel injection so it's much nicer on long trips.  40-40-20 customer leather seats sitting in the garage ready to go in. Got to get my sound system in first,  much easier to do with the seats out lol.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

Nice! I love old cars and trucks. They are much easier to work on and look so much better.  I've installed ac and added electronic fuel injection so it's much nicer on long trips.  40-40-20 customer leather seats sitting in the garage ready to go in. Got to get my sound system in first,  much easier to do with the seats out lol.

I went electric this time around. 

23 minutes ago, User Name said:

I know your thoughts on Hurney, but he did play a big hand in making an under funded small market franchise relevant. No excuses but he was about as competent as his skill set allowed, Tep even acknowledged  that..

The issue was always Jerry being tight and controlling.  And that included the GM position.

oh wow a rational take on hurney on the huddle. 

hurney wasn't as bad as people preach, but he was dumb. I'll forgive the overpays for playes like Beason, TD, and even Dwill -- most gms at the time would do that. And I'll still maintain he had a decent eye for talent and hit on some gems more often than most. But he had no plan and far too often took stupid risks for no reason. Add onto the fact he was too much of a people person here in Carolina, he would let lack luster players linger and stick around instead of seeking upgrades.

we could've done way worse than Hurney, but we could've been better too.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, User Name said:

Yes now, hurney joined the Panthers in 98.

I'll dig up the 1998 numbers eventually.  In the meantime, 2006 numbers show:

• Charlotte was #26, ahead of San Diego (27), KC (31), Buffalo (49), Jacksonville (52)
  • Adding in High Point would put the area in-between Seattle (14) and Minneapolis (15)

still not "small town" in terms of TV market size.

19 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

[note: original post did not highlighting]

All our fans should get out of the mindset of promoting the incorrect perception of the Panthers being in a "small market".

Charlotte by itself is TV market #22, ahead of other cities with NFL teams like St Louis (23), Indy (25), Pittsburgh (26), Vegas (40), Jacksonville (43), New Orleans (50).

If you include Greenville/Spartanburg -- the panthers would be #12 just ahead of Phoenix and Seattle.  Throw in High Point/ Winston-Salem and we're ranked between San Francisco and Dallas. 

Saying "small town" just isn't accurate when you compare the "Carolina" marketing area to other parts of the country.

Just to demonstrate what you said. Here's a list of the top 30 Metro areas in the US.

Charlotte is 21 and Raleigh, which is not very far away is 29. Plus the top areas like NY, LA, Wash/Bal, have 2 teams and places like Port, Orlando, who are larger than us, have no teams. 

So 21-4-2= 15. We are 15th in the league without considering Raleigh.

The 30 Biggest U.S. Metropolitan Areas from Largest to Smallest 

1. New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA  23,522,861
2. Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA 18,764,814
3. Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI 9,865,674
4. Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA 9,800,391
5. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA 8,841,475
6. Boston-Worcester-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT 8,285,407
7. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK 7,994,963
8. Philadelphia-Reading-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MD 7,204,035
9. Houston-The Woodlands, TX 7,195,656
10. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Port St. Lucie, FL 6,881,420
11. Atlanta-Athens-Clarke County-Sandy Springs, GA 6,631,604
12. Detroit-Warren-Ann Arbor, MI 5,353,002
13. Seattle-Tacoma, WA 4,853,364
14. Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI 3,977,790
15. Cleveland-Akron-Canton, OH 3,483,297
16. Denver-Aurora, CO 3,572,798
17. Orlando-Deltona-Daytona Beach, FL 3,361,321
18. Portland-Vancouver-Salem, OR-WA 3,239,521
19. St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, MO-IL 2,909,036
20. Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton, PA-OH-WV 2,615,656
21. Charlotte-Concord, NC-SC 2,728,933
22. Sacramento-Roseville, CA 2,619,754
23. Salt Lake City-Provo-Orem, UT 2,607,366
24. Columbus-Marion-Zanesville, OH 2,509,850
25. Las Vegas-Henderson, NV-AZ 2,486,543
26. Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS 2,486,117
27. Indianapolis-Carmel-Muncie, IN 2,431,086
28. Cincinnati-Wilmington-Maysville, OH-KY-IN 2,246,169
29. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC 2,238,315
30. Milwaukee-Racine-Waukesha, WI 2,049,391
Edited by Panthers Rhule

3 minutes ago, Rags said:

oh wow a rational take on hurney on the huddle. 

hurney wasn't as bad as people preach, but he was dumb. I'll forgive the overpays for playes like Beason, TD, and even Dwill -- most gms at the time would do that. And I'll still maintain he had a decent eye for talent and hit on some gems more often than most. But he had no plan and far too often took stupid risks for no reason. Add onto the fact he was too much of a people person here in Carolina, he would let lack luster players linger and stick around instead of seeking upgrades.

we could've done way worse than Hurney, but we could've been better too.

Hurney was useless outside of the first round and had no idea how to manage a Salary Cap. We could have done much, much better.

• Pie 1