• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3 weeks in...let's look at QBs

davos

19 hours ago, davos said:

as many players and coaches say, there are certain intangibles guys either have or don't and they know the SECOND they step onto the practice field after they're drafted. 

As the OP notes, sometimes a player's talent is just immediately obvious.  From watching him in our game, I think Zach Wilson is one of those guys. 

Wilson has clear NFL arm strength as well as the moxie to bounce back from bad throws / tough defensive plays.  I thought in our game (where he got the crap knocked out of him) Wilson looked like the real deal.  He has the physical tools, the mental toughness and the team-leading charisma to become an NFL starter.

Now with Wilson's bad luck going to the Jets, a QB-killing organization, that potential might never be realized.   The whole team seems to be set up to extinguish any potential a player has.  It's really the dead zone for almost all young players (and has been that way for many years).  So there's a good chance his ceiling is never reached there.  

20 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I watched the first half of the Broncos - Jets game today. Bridgewater is doing what he always does - keeps the offence ticking and in rhythm, but refuses to take the deep shots and is unable to move the ball quickly.

When Denver get behind in games he won't be the guy to bring them back. 

Copying from NBC’s player news service since unfortunately this isn’t a tweet or what have you

Bridgewater has 18 attempts of at least 20 yards, trailing only Derek Carr (22) and Lamar Jackson (19) headed into Week 3 Monday Night Football. Nearly 19 percent of Bridgewater's passes this season have been downfield shots -- a pleasant surprise for fantasy managers who hedged on Denver pass catchers with the conservative veteran under center. On Sunday against the Jets, Bridgewater completed three of five deep balls for 82 yards.

52 minutes ago, gruffmusic said:

Copying from NBC’s player news service since unfortunately this isn’t a tweet or what have you

Bridgewater has 18 attempts of at least 20 yards, trailing only Derek Carr (22) and Lamar Jackson (19) headed into Week 3 Monday Night Football. Nearly 19 percent of Bridgewater's passes this season have been downfield shots -- a pleasant surprise for fantasy managers who hedged on Denver pass catchers with the conservative veteran under center. On Sunday against the Jets, Bridgewater completed three of five deep balls for 82 yards.

Now that is surprising and it tells me one of two things :

1.) That the Jets Cornerbacks are downright horrid

or

2.) He purposely did not throw the ball deep as a Panther

2 hours ago, BlitzMonster said:

As the OP notes, sometimes a player's talent is just immediately obvious.  From watching him in our game, I think Zach Wilson is one of those guys. 

Wilson has clear NFL arm strength as well as the moxie to bounce back from bad throws / tough defensive plays.  I thought in our game (where he got the crap knocked out of him) Wilson looked like the real deal.  He has the physical tools, the mental toughness and the team-leading charisma to become an NFL starter.

Now with Wilson's bad luck going to the Jets, a QB-killing organization, that potential might never be realized.   The whole team seems to be set up to extinguish any potential a player has.  It's really the dead zone for almost all young players (and has been that way for many years).  So there's a good chance his ceiling is never reached there.  

In looking at this crop, I agree that Wilson has shown it the most.  Lawrence has had a few impressive, what I'll call the sequences of throws.  And Lance, I haven't seen enough of to know.  But the crop isn't pretty as a whole. Early, but their eye tests are up in the air but the class reminds me of Cam/Gabbert/Locker's year.

Fields and Mac, I'm not really seeing the field presence or feel but that's just my opinion.  And I was a BIG Fields proponent, especially after the last 2 college playoffs.  They don't seem to size up to the speed and feel and they look behind processing and being in the moment.  It can be very apparent but no doubt Fields has more time to showcase his skills, could've been a momentary thing.  But it was good timing to use their stats and size Sam up and hype this place up some. 

Darnold showed "it" in flashes (not consistently).  But would suddenly have games in NY when it was the case and he had damn nice balls and great drives.  In part why a lot of that fanbase, for how crazy they can be, did not give up on him yet.