• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3 weeks in...let's look at QBs

davos

2 hours ago, davos said:

And it's not what you think.  Definitely not looking at the 2022 NFL Draft prospects. Yuck do they look bad.

Actually, even looking at 2021, they all look pretty bad.  And yes, it is early.  VERY EARLY.  But as many players and coaches say, there are certain intangibles guys either have or don't and they know the SECOND they step onto the practice field after they're drafted.  And the second they're in their first game.

Where to begin?:

Mac Jones: Even with a really solid Patriots team around him, he looks like he's barely scraping by. Doesn't pass the eye test for me.  2 tds, 3 ints in 3 weeks, a 52 qbr,  

Justin Fields Debut: 6-20, 30%, 68 passing yards.  Did not look ready.  Nagy is gone, I don't know if he'll survive a year with that offense.  

Trevor Lawrence: Mr Can't Miss everyone cried about missing out on? He's had some of the worst looking interceptions I've ever seen from a field awareness standpoint.  That flea flicker today is near the top.  What is going on there? 7 ints through 3 games.

Zach Wilson: Lawrence does not own that stat, he shares it.  7 ints through 3 games. 2 passing TDs (1 gimme against us when we put on the brakes)

Trey Lance: Looked decent in preseason, is with a good org and coaches.  They seem to be bringing him along in an interesting way.  He was out of range for us.  But DO NOT FORGET -- he was the who we sent our entire staff to go check out.

Davis Mills? Meh whatever haha

So, I mean, I'm not really craving any of these guys over GEQBUS. This is a man.  

Sammy D ladies and gentlemen:

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale

I was never a fan of Fields. Though he was a good college QB the NFL is a different animal. I think he'll have some success but IMO will not be better than Darnold.  It was a good decision to get Darnold here.

All the rookie QBs are going to struggle this year.  Fields, Lawrence and Wilson are on really bad teams. Jones is having issues against good teams. Lance is currently a gadget play QB and is probably in the best situation of the 5.

Darnold receives lots of love from the media because we are 3-0.  He isn't dropping 50 yd bombs but is running the offense very well.  Considering our O-line is a mess, he's doing well.

Our success relies on two things.  Our defense keeps balling out and Brady does his homework and comes up with good offensive game plans to counter our poor line and what better defenses will bring to us.   If Brady can come up with a good gameplan, Darnold is tough enough and smart enough to execute it.

We'll have our bumps.  I don't see us going 17-0.  I'll be ready for the bandwagon to be deserted after we lose one game. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, onmyown said:

Don’t forget Teddy…

Honestly, that seems to have been a break-up that was good for all involved. Teddy is playing better in Denver than he ever did here and Darnold is playing better than Teddy did here. Both teams are 3-0 and well, great!

Good luck to him and there's only one way we'll play against him this year, and if that works out, great, too.

• Pie 2

I had a feeling about Trevor and the very reason why I cringed when people were uttering crazy talk to move up to #1 to get him pre-draft.  There's one thing about Clemson players, once they leave that tight-knit, well-oiled football factory, they flame out in the NFL when they have to prove themselves as an individual.

10 hours ago, davos said:

Trey Lance: Looked decent in preseason, is with a good org and coaches.  They seem to be bringing him along in an interesting way.  He was out of range for us.  But DO NOT FORGET -- he was the who we sent our entire staff to go check out.

We also decided he didn't fit our offense. That's why we skipped his second workout.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We also decided he didn't fit our offense. That's why we skipped his second workout.

Hadn't the organization already seemed entrenched on acquiring a veteran by that point?  I think all rookies were all the table by then.  It wasn't a slight on Lance as much as it was the team had a different approach to how they wanted to move forward. 

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Hadn't the organization already seemed entrenched on acquiring a veteran by that point?  I think all rookies were all the table by then.  It wasn't a slight on Lance as much as it was the team had a different approach to how they wanted to move forward. 

At least based on what I've read, the first workout told them he wasn't a fit for Brady's offense.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

At least based on what I've read, the first workout told them he wasn't a fit for Brady's offense.

Lance- Pro day 1: March 12th

Darnold to Panthers: April 5th

Lance Pro day 2: April 19th

Could he have been an ill-fit for Brady's offense?  Possibly, however, you can see why it was irrelevant to go to Lance's second pro day.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Lance- Pro day 1: March 12th

Darnold to Panthers: April 5th

Lance Pro day 2: April 19th

Could he have been an ill-fit for Brady's offense?  Possibly, however, you can see why it was irrelevant to go to Lance's second pro day.

Lance is a long way away from being a NFL starter.  I doubt that is what Rhule and co were looking for.