• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy vs Darnold

TheoJay10

Teddy's in a great place for him - somewhere with a high-quality defense, some other offensive talent to do the heavy lifting, and that has been starved of even reasonable QB play for so long that his low-risk, high-percentage style looks amazing. It helps a lot that they've played the Division 2 of the NFL so far but with that defense Denver might sneak into the playoffs as a Wild Card (assuming the Chiefs wake the hell up) and bow out in the first or second round a la Alex Smith as the peak.

For Denver fans, that will be amazing this year. No question though that Carolina is better off and I still speculate that Teddy drank his own Kool Aid and needed a dose of humility that he likely got after last season. He never should have been brought to Carolina in the first place but what's done is done and everyone is better off with him elsewhere.

Sam is looking cautiously promising with plenty still to prove. it's encouraging that he seems to have already made some strides vs last year in NY.

2 hours ago, RenoCarolina said:

I did not watch his game today but saw some of game two and highlights from week 1.  He is definitely taking the "Check-down Teddy" to heart and sending targets downfield.  Not stretching the field but making some good throws on slants and outs.  I don't have a problem giving him some credit for Denver's success.  Both Teddy and the Panthers are in better places this season.

I saw a stat where he has more 20+ yard throws down field than any other QB. Maybe, just Maybe, Teddy took it to heart and has decided to take the downfield gamble.   I think it is a mirage. 

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

Sammy >>> Teddy

So much more fun to watch. Can do so much more on the field and in the game. 

We made the right move.

Totally agree.  

I think eventually defenses will figure Teddy out like last year and force him to throw the deep ball.  Not to mention that they are in a helluva division.  KC, LV and LAC seem to be legit teams. 

We've all witnessed Teddy B. in action for a season.  When the game was on the line he repeatedly failed to rise to the occasion.  It was a good decision by the Panthers organization to move on from him.  He is who he is and that wasn't going to change.

Sammy D. is still a work in progress, but when the game was going sideways Thursday night, he rallied the troops and pulled out a victory.  Sam clearly is more physically talented than his predecessor and in 3 games has made several impressive throws that Teddy could only dream about completing. 

The season is young with many games left to play, but so far there is no buyer's remorse.  Sammy is performing at a level not attained by any Panthers QB since 2015. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

There is a reason DJ Moore is having the best start a Panther receiver has had since Steve Smith.

This doesn't happen with Teddy still at QB.

Teddy spreads the ball, and goes through his progession more at this point in their careers.  There's a reason Robby Anderson has disappeared from the offense. 

Sam usually locks in on his first read and is more turnover prone.

He does have a better arm than Teddy and can make some pin point throws, especially on the run and with this Oline that's a benefit. 

All in all I think Sam has greater potential and if he can cut the turnovers down. The sky's the limit on where this team can go.  

• Poo 1

I need a larger sample size to be honest but so far Darnold has been better for us. 

This season should have really taught you already environment and team fit matters alot. Teddy darnold Stafford are proving that .

And it a way Wilson and Lawrewnce are proving the same point.  Very talented but on poo teams that aren't helping them too much means they Also look like poo . 

2 hours ago, Pantherxtreme said:

Teddy spreads the ball, and goes through his progession more at this point in their careers.  There's a reason Robby Anderson has disappeared from the offense. 

Sam usually locks in on his first read and is more turnover prone.

He does have a better arm than Teddy and can make some pin point throws, especially on the run and with this Oline that's a benefit. 

All in all I think Sam has greater potential and if he can cut the turnovers down. The sky's the limit on where this team can go.  

I think it has more to do with Darnold being more willing to push the ball down field.

Robby played in the slot way more last year compared to this season. The amount of times DJ was wide ass open 15-20 yards down field last season only to have Teddy throw a 5 yard slant to Robby was fuging infuriating. 

Teddy is a good fit in Denver and vice versa. The are running the ball a lot and successfully and not asking him to do too much and not make turnovers which he does well. There defense is good so if he just does what Teddy does then Denver has a good shot at the post season. That said, we'll understand a lot better in the following weeks as Denver faces the Ravens, Steelers, Raiders and Browns before they get an easier game vs WFT. 

9 hours ago, Cam2Ligit2Quit said:

Teddy is a game manager, he will get better completion percentage because he checks down a lot. Defense were never scared of us beating them over the top. 

Teddy knows his bread is buttered with his completion percentage, so he purposely keeps it as high as possible.  Its also one of the reasons why he has some redzone struggles.  Teddy would rather take a sack in the redzone than throw the ball away and hurt his completion percentage.

22 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The 20+ yards isn’t true. I just looked up one team (Seattle) because I knew they had some long TDs and they had more. Checked Minnesota since they played Seattle and they had as many as Denver as well.

Oh, I checked us and we have more than Seattle and of course Denver. So, I’ve checked 3 teams and two had more and 1 had as many as Denver so definitely not true. Checked two more. Tampa has the most so far, way more than Denver and the Rams were tied with Seattle so more as well. Damn, Teddy isn’t close to the top. He’s done well against 3 ass teams but he’s not all world and neither is same at this point.

Think the stat he was referencing was the most 20 yard throws downfield.  Which is different than 20 yard plays. 

Teddy has more pass attempts that are 20 yards downfield than Russell Wilson and Tom Brady this year thus far.   

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Think the stat he was referencing was the most 20 yard throws downfield.  Which is different than 20 yard plays. 

Teddy has more pass attempts that are 20 yards downfield than Russell Wilson and Tom Brady this year thus far.   

Either way, Sam and Teddy’s stats are similar.  Overall, I think that trade appears to be a “win-win” for both parties.

055D3DC2-5696-4D59-AA13-52D4FCFB535E.jpeg