• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My god

Zod

1 hour ago, Zod said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76114cdd41097a11d6a550

WTF happened here. Was Chuba supposed to stay and pick up the blitz? This can't happen. 

Bad job by the center and RG. LG is expecting help to the inside, which is why he passes off the first rusher to get the secondary rusher. RG got drilled on the stunt and let one DL essentially take two OLs out of the play. It was a good defensive play call, but ideally RG has to pass that guy off to the RT and clean up 97, and center has to get to 55 there. 

I could be wrong, but don't think that one is on Chuba. 

I've kind of harped on this for a couple of years now, we need a center even more than we need an OT. Paradis isn't just a liability in blocking (run or pass pro), he's unable to make protection calls correctly. Everything I am seeing, he just blows at assigning blockers and pre-snap reads of the DL. 

Ryan Kalil and Jeff Mitchell knew how to do their job and how to direct the guys around them. They both had leadership skills, too that helped knit together lines. Paradis just doesn't seem to be in their league.

lol at all the folks laying that at Paradis feet.

Even if Paradis and Miller had handled that stunt correctly, Sam was still getting sacked.  They brought six guys against our five protection.  Someone was getting free, and the first guy to the QB came off the left.

Now, as I understand it, the goal is to make the QB account for the guy with the longest path to the QB in those situations.  The correct line call here was shift left.  It looked like Daley and Erving did that, but Paradis, Miller and maybe Moton were shifting right.

The question is what was the line call and who went the wrong way.

If shift left was the call (and I think it should have been), then the stunt that beat Daley and Paradis wouldn't have worked.  Additionally, Chuba could have chipped the wide defender on the side he went to.  If you watch Moton's footwork, he wasn't postured to block a wide rusher.  I just can't tell if that was because his guy stunted inside, or because he heard shift left.

If shift right was the call, the stunt might have worked anyway, but in that case, it would have been the guy Erving blocked who would have had a free rush at the QB, because Erving would have blocked Daley's guy and Daley would have blocked the guy who ultimately got the sack.

Basically, it looked like the line call may have been misheard or something, because the line was executing two different calls there.

Edited by BrianS
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Smittymoose said:

Bad job by the center and RG. LG is expecting help to the inside, which is why he passes off the first rusher to get the secondary rusher. RG got drilled on the stunt and let one DL essentially take two OLs out of the play. It was a good defensive play call, but ideally RG has to pass that guy off to the RT and clean up 97, and center has to get to 55 there. 

I could be wrong, but don't think that one is on Chuba. 

I disagree. You can't pass off your man on a stunt or this exact thing happens. LG got beat, C should have read stunt, RG should have read stunt, RT was out of the play because the line didn't shift to pick it up. It was a complete screw up imo. Something on the level the Jets did on the regular last year. 

Just now, Snake said:

I disagree. You can't pass off your man on a stunt or this exact thing happens. LG got beat, C should have read stunt, RG should have read stunt, RT was out of the play because the line didn't shift to pick it up. It was a complete screw up imo. Something on the level the Jets did on the regular last year. 

What? The left guard didn't get "beat." He had his head up and saw the secondary rusher coming. It was not a bad play by the LG. He got a little piece of the guy lined up in front of him and passed off where he was supposed to have inside help. He did a fine job on that play.

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

Chuba? You’re blaming him when he clearly seems to have a route to run immediately. I’d say Sam’s got to see that jail break a bit earlier and hit Chuba as the check down, but I’d also say our OL is the weak spot on the team as we felt it would be day 1.

Sam completed that pass for a 3rd down conversion. 

8 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

What? The left guard didn't get "beat." He had his head up and saw the secondary rusher coming. It was not a bad play by the LG. He got a little piece of the guy lined up in front of him and passed off where he was supposed to have inside help. He did a fine job on that play.

Seriously? You're just going to let the inside man run free? Even on a non stunt situation you're asking your Center to cover two guys while you pick up the 5. That's a loss every time unless your QB does some magic. It was a choice of picking who's more dangerous. DeMarcus Walker or Kamu Grugier-Hill.