• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers about to trade for CJ Henderson?!?!

joemac

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

There's a lot of background to it, but basically it just sounds like he didn't want to be in Jacksonville in the first place and things only got worse when Meyer took over.

Meyer and the Jags had been shopping him for months.

If he really wanted out and clashes with the new staff then I get it. It really feels like we fleeced them though…

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Been mentioned in here. He had an interception week 1 of his rookie year and had an 84 PFF grade. At the end of 2020 he had a PFF grade in the 50s. Same with the first two games this year, in the 50s. Even Eli Apple had some good games before we signed him.

So far, his overall play has been mediocre. He has missed a lot of time as well. I just wanted to set some realistic expectations as I’ve seen a lot of Horn and Henderson lock down the sides and Donte locks down the slot, etc. Henderson is far from proven. Apple might be an apt comparison as he had some “off the field issues” as well so here’s hoping to us knowing what to do and getting him to reach his potential.

I think the Eli Apple comparison is spot on. Apple came into the league with a lot of hype but never lived up to the expectations and has bounded around. I read this on NFL Rumors and I would assume the hope is our coaches can somehow get Henderson motivated but his mental state has to be why no one has wanted to give up much for a CB taken in the first round just a year earlier..."The Jaguars’ old regime made Henderson the No. 9 overall pick in 2020. He went on to appear in just eight games, due to a reserve/COVID-19 list stint and shoulder labrum surgery. Reportedly, even when he was there, the ex-Florida Gator appeared to be disinterested at Jags practice" 

• Pie 2

So as you'll know I have prior beef with Henderson - he was a bitch at a HS All-Star game (sulked because he wasn't named the starter), was told to stop being a bitch by the Miami DB Coach, (former first round Draft pick) Mike Rumph, and promptly de-comitted and committed to Florida.

I've also questioned the dog in him - he can't tackle.

That said, to get a guy with his athletic profile for a journeyman TE who's disappointed in Charlotte AND only a third round pick is daylight robbery - oh and we got a fifth round pick back? Crown Fitterer.

We know this staff can develop - this is them throwing another dice with a freak athlete. Love that.

45 minutes ago, stbugs said:

A top 10 pick. Let’s not act like he’s actually done anything on the field that is worthy of a top 10 pick yet and let’s be honest that he’s got some red flags. Urban wasn’t there last year when he was about as excited to be a top 10 pick as he would be at a funeral. He was a fast riser too, so it’s not like he was an early top 10 guy so you’d think he’d be excited to go 9th.

I like the trade with Horn out and Bouye not having a solid season in a few years, but he is a risky player. Seems like Arnold is replaceable and it’s like we are dropping a bit more than a round with the pick so not a huge risk. If he works out, it’s a steal. If he’s wishy washy about playing here and the red flags Come true then it won’t be a steal.

At the end of the day you're not getting a more talented athlete with that third round pick next year - not unless he's got major red flags around him.

Arnold is a throwaway piece - he wasn't as advertised at all. 

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

So as you'll know I have prior beef with Henderson - he was a bitch at a HS All-Star game (sulked because he wasn't named the starter), was told to stop being a bitch by the Miami DB Coach, (former first round Draft pick) Mike Rumph, and promptly de-comitted and committed to Florida.

I've also questioned the dog in him - he can't tackle.

That said, to get a guy with his athletic profile for a journeyman TE who's disappointed in Charlotte AND only a third round pick is daylight robbery - oh and we got a fifth round pick back? Crown Fitterer.

We know this staff can develop - this is them throwing another dice with a freak athlete. Love that.

Agreed. If he buys into this team’s culture it will be insane how good our secondary can be. I think Horn, Chinn, and DJax will have him fired up and ready to play. Plus he has to know it’s now or never. If you have issues with one organization it’s one thing, but two and it’s the only two you played for then teams start thinking you are the problem…

5 hours ago, stbugs said:

I like the trade. I think Bouye isn’t a key future cog. He’s dropped off a lot. Henderson let’s Horn come back healthy and maybe also saves us a lot of money next year or potentially have 3 really good CBs (assuming he works out).

Like @trueblade, my only concern is OL. If we don’t take the BPA OL in the first next year, we can’t take one until day 3 again. BC and Brown played well against backups/guys who didn’t make the 53, but we have yet to see them play against starters. We’ve got FA money but with DJ, Burns, etc. coming soon, we need to be smart. Again, still wondering if it was smart extending Robby before the season was over.

I agree on the Robby take. I think if we can showcase him this season, he has a lot of trade value. Not sure what the dead money is going to be if we part ways, but we could probably trade him picks or OL. 

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Right, that’s why I said I liked the trade. The upside is there. I have no idea if we did well or not but getting back an early 5th (our 3rd should be later) and giving up Arnold isn’t much at all.

Just be careful assuming you couldn’t get a talented player. We drafted Moton and Chinn at 64, both times moving up from our 3rd round pick. Tremble was a 3rd round pick. Marshall was 5 picks from the last pick in the 2nd, easily attainable with a small trade up from the 3rd. Hurney isn’t here anymore and wasn’t there in 2017. Day 2 usually has a lot of talent if you scout and draft well.

Sure, but you’re assuming we couldn’t get a pick back for Henderson via trade if we don’t like his fit after he’s been here a year or two. 

Edited by ECHornet

5 hours ago, SBBlue said:

Hopefully Robbie and Marshall can fill that 3rd down catch certainty role.  I love Tremble and he has caught 100% of his 1 targets, but I just want proven sure hands on 3rd down.  Robbie and Terrace aren't drop free, but Tremble wasn't drop free in college either.

Proven after 3 games? come on. Dan was a journey man with potential we signed this off season. He had a poor showing against the Jets and good games against both Saints & Houston. 

That is not a "proven" 3rd down weapon. Marshall is actually the one being targeted on big 3rd down (at least the past game). 

This trade may go down as one of the greatest robbery. 

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, Seltzer said:

Who could we possibly draft in the 2nd round better than what Sam Darnold has been?

Who could we draft in the 3rd round that fits the athletic profile and potential of CJ Henderson?

The answer to both is no one...

Enjoy what we're building here... we finally have people who know what they're doing

47 minutes ago, joemac said:

Some people on here MASSIVELY over-value future draft picks that are not in the first round. 

*Logic has entered the chat*

3 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

Proven after 3 games? come on. Dan was a journey man with potential we signed this off season. He had a poor showing against the Jets and good games against both Saints & Houston. 

That is not a "proven" 3rd down weapon. Marshall is actually the one being targeted on big 3rd down (at least the past game). 

This trade may go down as one of the greatest robbery. 

Arnold didn't start playing in the nfl 3 games ago and yes he had multiple conversions in those 3 games, some at crucial points.    Tremble did just start playing in the NFL 3 games ago and Tremble wasn't drop free in college.

Arnold's hands were more proven than Tremble, or Ian Thomas.  If Arnold was on our roster last year he would have been 2nd  in touchdowns.  He was the Cardinals 3rd leading receiver in 2020 with more yards than Larry Fitzgerald.

I love Tremble and think he'll do fine and he will probably surpass Arnold.