• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opinions: How far can they go with this Oline?

Jmac

I think we have a shot at making the playoffs but as it stands  the line is the glaring point of weakness.  I can see a scenario where we conclude at the end of the year that if we have a better OL unit, this team will be a contender.  If that is where we end up I believe our FO will make calculated investments in both the draft and free agency.  

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I think that’s part of the our OL really isn’t good story. Even though we’ve never been behind, our QB is still taking shots even from a sub par DL like Houston.

I’m worry about when a good DL can pin their ears back and legitimately go after Sam. Especially with CMC not in the game plan.

The current OLine is why we can't be a great team this year.

We can get by with it, but we're not going to assert our dominance on any team this year and, as you've said, Darnold has been getting hit a lot already.

5 hours ago, stbugs said:

I think that’s part of the our OL really isn’t good story. Even though we’ve never been behind, our QB is still taking shots even from a sub par DL like Houston.

I’m worry about when a good DL can pin their ears back and legitimately go after Sam. Especially with CMC not in the game plan.

It’s gotta happen eventually, also on the other side of the coin someone has got to be able to figure out Snow eventually. If they don’t I feel like we’re invincible lol. 

Good question. Tough to win a playoff game with this O line. Pockets will be deep next offseason with abundant cap space. They'll surprise and go D in the first round for the 3rd year in a row keeping a strength a strength (ILB, FS), and spend some cash on addressing reliable left side help for the offense in free agency. 

Nothing worse than seeing a high O line pick bust. They won't take any chances. We should be an attractive destination to such FAs next offseason.

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I really don’t want to watch if we fall behind by two scores and the DC decides to bring the hounds since we have to pass every down. 3 man rush with prevent, no worries (he’ll still get hit).

This weekend we play a good offense with multiple weapons and a decent OL. If we hold them to 10-14, this D is for real for real.

Everyone said we had a horrible line last year with Paradis at C, Miller at RG,  Reed at LG and Little/Daley/Scott/Okung at LT.    In the first 1st Saints game, we played from behind.  We couldn't run the ball (37 yards rushing) so we passed a high percentage of our O.   Teddy threw for 283 yards.  The line looked good giving  up  only 1 sack, 3 QB hits, 2 passes defensed, 1 FF against one of the  best DL's in the league.  We lost 27-24.

That was the week after Chicago where Teddy was sacked 4 times.  

People do not want to admit that the first 2 games this years, the OL did NOT play horrible against two very good DL.  I will admit, they looked bad against Houston, but Sam was also  holding the ball longer, our pkt/time average for the whole year went up after the Houston game.

I'm hopeful that the line can hold on Sunday, and get back to playing like they were week one.  

Did anybody watch Monday Night Football last night?

The smart move would be to start Walker Sunday because with this pitiful OL there is likely a repeat of what happened to Justin Fields on Sunday which increases the chance of Sam having a season ending injury.  In fact, activate Morgan so that if Walker goes down we send in the 3rd stringer and to be really safe make Sam inactive. Keep him off the field at all cost.

And do you Panther fans now see why last spring I was pushing for the team to draft Parsons?