• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Henderson behavioral issues?

NAS

Wonder if he is a Ricky Williams sort of odd ball guy (minus the weed). Williams acted strange back in the day and people questioned his desire to play. All the talent in the world and he did play and have some good seasons.

Always that weird guy stigma followed him from team to team. Now he is on some tropical island smoking to his hearts content. Living his best life I guess.   

4 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Wonder if he is a Ricky Williams sort of odd ball guy (minus the weed). Williams acted strange back in the day and people questioned his desire to play. All the talent in the world and he did play and have some good seasons.

Always that weird guy stigma followed him from team to team. Now he is on some tropical island smoking to his hearts content. Living his best life I guess.   

I think he lives Down Under now

4 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

Tbf they could only zoom call prospects that year. No face to face meetings. I think cj just wanted out of Jacksonville tho. And I’m a big proponent of players using their leverage to get out of shitty situations. It’s their work environment and careers. 

Yeah, but that doesn't change much, imo.  I know you're technically not "looking a man in the eye" in-person, but you still can get a good feel on the person.  And the background checks they do on these guys is probably about as thorough as you can get.  Every year we hear about guys who have personality, behavior, mental issues, or even something as small as the people they hang around with causing problems.  They find any and everything that could potentially be a detriment to them playing high-level football.  For some reason, when reading about him, I keep thinking about Dalvin Cook.  Remember how he was flagged by teams, from what I recall, for the people he hung around and off-field/character concerns.  It seems getting away from Florida was a game-changer for him.  I saw he even went back to FSU since being a pro and finished his degree and graduated.  No problems off the field, even earned an extension, and is one of the best backs in the league when healthy.  And one thing we know about Rhule, is one of the tenets of his program is he wants "football players" and "guys that love to play the game."  I'm just confident he wouldn't bring this guy in if he thought that wasn't the case.  He hasn't brought anyone in that didn't fit that description before, so I'm confident this move will pan out with the change of scenery.

4 hours ago, Bartin said:

Sounds like he may be an introvert that has trouble fitting in. One of his teammates was asked how they felt about him leaving and said “we’re not exactly shaken up about it.” And that he was a great player but just a weird/different guy. New environment will almost certainly be good for him initially. Long term who knows though.

I'd imagine if you're constantly fighting off hanger-ons for wanting your money and time and desperately want to escape that environment, I'd imagine I would be pretty closed off too.  And if you're one and only goal is to gtfo of that environment, I wouldn't be trying to establish any relationships either if i'm planning to leave as soon as possible.

I will say, the tweets and such people were saying were "suicidal" from last summer, unless he deleted some, from what I saw seemed pretty benign.  A lot of inspirational quotes and "me against the world" type quotes.  Didnt seem worrisome compared to what most people share on social media.  I will say this though, for someone of his celebrity and age, he is not very active at all on social media...  last IG post was Sept. 10th and Twitter was from last year, IIRC.  But again, that could be from trying to share as little as possible because of the environment and people that were around him.  I trust Rhule and Fitt.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I will say, the tweets and such people were saying were "suicidal" from last summer, unless he deleted some, from what I saw seemed pretty benign.

There was one tweet that he liked was something along the lines of "dying must be easy because living is hard" and I'm fairly certain that's the one being referred to.

1 hour ago, Bartin said:

There was one tweet that he liked was something along the lines of "dying must be easy because living is hard" and I'm fairly certain that's the one being referred to.

Oh okay...  yeah, I don't want to play armchair psychologist, but it's tough to tell nowadays with social media, whether someone is sharing such things (or liking it in this case) because there is motivation behind it, or if it's simply signaling there is an issue that they are trying to draw attention to.  There is also people that just like drawing attention to those sort of things, simply because it sounds edgy and mysterious.  

Full disclosure, as someone who has struggled with anxiety and depression for most of my life, I certainly empathize with anyone who deals with any mental health issue.  But, I don't necessarily think that's a red flag so much as shooting off a flare to draw attention to an issue.  To me, it should be taken into account with the highest degree of concern and care, but it just as easily could simply be linked back to him wanting to get away from the environment he's in.  If you're constantly dealing with people that want something from you and feel like no one really has your best interest at heart, or even care about you, I don't think it's too hard to find yourself liking and tweeting such things.  But for me, I know I sound like a broken record, but knowing Rhule and Fitt believe in him, and that we apparently treat our guys like this is a family environment here, I'm really confident he'll feel and be much better now.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Varking said:

When the player isn’t happy on the team it makes sense to move them while they have value. He’s been unhappy in Jacksonville since he got drafted. It was the worst case scenario for him to get drafted by them. 

No one remembers Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers/San Diego/NYGiants? Eli flat out stated he would not play for San Diego ever. Trade completed before the draft was over. No, CJ and Eli are nowhere near the same type of person and Eli had more pull but CJ was in the same situation and Jacksonville didn't care.

4 hours ago, 1usctrojan said:

I feel for him.  We had an offensive lineman…a great one, that had a horrible family like that.  Good guy, but his family were always around causing trouble, they were always pressuring him to leave school early….which remarkably, was the right choice, he was ready.  All they wanted was money.

He was drafted #9 in the first round, to…..Dallas.  His family ended up barred from the facilities, they stole from him, and he eventually cut them off.  Believe he gives them an allotted sum, no more.  

What a horrible thing to do to your child, if true.

Yeah. A lot of people see pro sports like winning the lottery. Like they just got lucky. 

They can't wrap their heads around the massive amount of work it takes. The mind numbing tedium of going through the same damn play again, & again, & again. The mental discipline it takes to watch hours of film so you know exactly where you need to be & how to react on the fly. Etc... Etc...

Then they only see you "at work" one day a week for a few hours. 

I mean yeah, luck plays a part, but its mostly the work.

6 hours ago, NAS said:

I am as excited as anyone about the trade, but what are these concerns about his mental health or behavioral concerns that I keep seeing on Twitter?  Any insights?  I knew he was disgruntled but I didn't think he had any major character issues.  

I am hopeful that Fitterer and Rhule did their due dilligence.

I was gonna start a thread about this but since you have this one I'll just post this Jag fans take on it. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

In another unusual development, the Jaguars had Henderson ride a stationary bike in front of his teammates in the back of the end zone. Usually, when a player rides a stationary bike during practice, they are off to the side and a reasonable distance from the practice action.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jacksonville.com/amp/5536689001

That’s some great coaching there Urban. Take a young kid, who’s struggling with whatever he’s struggling with, and embarrass him in front of his teammates 👍🏻 

• Beer 1