• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The CJ Anderson trade gives me hope that Fitty and Rhule can fix the Oline this year.

1of10Charnatives

4 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Are you saying you would not trade your rookie late round draft pick 4th WR as part of a package for a starting quality OL?

I'll give you time to consider your answer carefully.

I'm not against some trade for some quality OL, its just seems unlikely.  That said, I would have said CJ was unlikely. 

Last game, the whole line, including Moton, was bad and Sam held the ball longer.  One player won't fix that.  Not saying I'm against it, but one player won't "fix" the line.  

• Pie 1

John Miller and Elflein were literally in the top 5-10 available O-lineman available in free agency. Every other decent names were older injured vets. Just not gonna happen, getting Jordan from the Bengals was pretty much the last decent guy any teams were going to give up, and it's because he got the blame for tearing Burrows ACL last year

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, mbarbour21 said:

LOL! No dude, I'm not saying that I wouldn't. That would just be dumb. I'm saying that if Shi plays well enough to be WR 3/4, then we should keep him and trade Robby instead. We have Moore, Marshall, and CMC as the first three targets outside of Robby. Maybe Tremble becomes a viable target as well. Shi is on a rookie deal for 4 years and we got people that will be getting PAID on the defense. We need to pay DJ Moore as well. Reddick is gonna pull in BANK!!! We have to bring him back though!!! Trading Shi (if he garnered as much trade capital as Robby) and keeping Robby would be dumb because of age and salary/contract.

My point overall though IS, we ain't getting no starter on the OL for a 4th string receiver who is unproven. No body is giving up starting o-lineman for 4th string receivers. You gonna trade Moton for Amari Rodgers?

I'll give you time to consider your answer carefully.

I'd trade Robby even though I like him if it gets us a quality OL, so I'm down with that idea. Before Fitty I would have said no one would give up anything valuable for shi or the likes of Daley, but poo man, the dude got something for Greg Little. Greg @#%ing Little! Nothing is beyond him. Do I think any of that is likely? Nah, but atm I'm enjoying the possibilities in a way that I never did under previous regimes. I think what's far more likely than a far fetched dream scenario I outlined fairly tongue in cheek is at most we're able to add one decent but not outstanding vet, and one of the two rookies proves up to holding down the fort at a spot for the second half of the season, and we finish up with an O line better than what we have now, but that is still only mediocre instead of bad. I see this being enough for us to get to the playoffs, but not make a lot of noise in them.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, SmittysLawnGuy said:

Since when is Shi smith + trash going to net us a starting Left Tackle, did you forget to throw in our first rounder?

Please reread my OP. Nowhere did I say that would net us a starting Left Tackle. 

What I actually said was, with Fitty's magic touch it might net us an olineman (didn't specify position since everything except one tackle needs an upgrade) who would be an upgrade.

YOU put words in my mouth by responding to what you interpreted my post to say, rather than what it actually said. 

Also there was a pretty high level of over the topishness in the post that should have signaled just how seriously it should be taken (not terribly).

4 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

John Miller and Elflein were literally in the top 5-10 available O-lineman available in free agency. Every other decent names were older injured vets. Just not gonna happen, getting Jordan from the Bengals was pretty much the last decent guy any teams were going to give up, and it's because he got the blame for tearing Burrows ACL last year

Depressing but probably true at the end of the day. 

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, SBBlue said:

I'm not against some trade for some quality OL, its just seems unlikely.  That said, I would have said CJ was unlikely. 

Last game, the whole line, including Moton, was bad and Sam held the ball longer.  One player won't fix that.  Not saying I'm against it, but one player won't "fix" the line.  

I figure we need at least 3. If we are super lucky then the two rookies on the roster might be two of those 3, but more likely just one of the two will pan out. If we use next year's first on a top OL, that still leaves us needing to acquire one more OL from the draft or FA, and that's not to build an amazing line, but just to make the line not a weakness.

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I figure we need at least 3. If we are super lucky then the two rookies on the roster might be two of those 3, but more likely just one of the two will pan out. If we use next year's first on a top OL, that still leaves us needing to acquire one more OL from the draft or FA, and that's not to build an amazing line, but just to make the line not a weakness.

I suspect 2 are drafted in the next draft and mostly likely the 1st pick will be used in trade to get both in a lower round.  I doubt there will be a starter quality LT as low as we will be drafting.  There will also be 3 or 4 FA's signed as well.

• Pie 1