• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are Panthers a very self-less defense?

KB_fan

@KB_fanYes it is selfless. It's a very odd defensive group that we have. They are so young but yet seem to all be playing for each other. Yes we have our stars, but they are just as happy when Morgan Fox or Brown or YGM make plays. I responded to you a lot on twitter but Chinn is my best example. Stats don't blow you away but he is essential for our #1 defense

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, yasuhara2241 said:

@KB_fanYes it is selfless. It's a very odd defensive group that we have. They are so young but yet seem to all be playing for each other. Yes we have our stars, but they are just as happy when Morgan Fox or Brown or YGM make plays. I responded to you a lot on twitter but Chinn is my best example. Stats don't blow you away but he is essential for our #1 defense

Absolutely.  When you think of the hype Chinn got last year because of how he flashed, but this year in his new position he's a bit "invisible" on the stat sheet, but playing GREAT and absolutely ESSENTIAL to the D's success.

I LOVE this kind of team. 

• Pie 2

30 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I'm seeing some stats today that confound me a little bit.

On one hand, the Panthers lead the league in sacks, QB hits, Pass-Rush Win Rate, fewest passing yards allowed....

2006975783_Wk3_passingyards(Defense).JPG.6b7e80accbaeb3d0be21462d5b4bb8ed.JPG

Wk3_Sacks.JPG.dc1dd87ca6744aac59d2b9e16d66365b.JPG

Yet, in the individual pass-rush win stats for edge rushers and DTs, only Haason Reddick's name shows up among top players.

I was a bit surprised!

I'm guessing it's a combination of two things:

1) it may be simply a function of the technical definition of pass-rush win rate.  Our defense is succeeding in pass rush and disrupting QBs without meeting the technical definition of a pass-rush win.

I think there's definitely some truth to this.  How many sacks have we gotten where someone comes through completely unblocked?  Hell, for how good Brian Burns is, I'm fairly sure all 3 of his sacks were unblocked.  As someone else mentioned, props to Snow's scheme in confusing the opposing offense.

31 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's the team mentality.  Think of it like pack of hyenas. One alone may be dangerous but when you get a group of them together they can take down a lion and kill it.  

Hmmmm. Could that be a name for this defense.  I know there are Snow Wolves...

Howabout the "Snow Hyenas"? Or, giving up the fun Snow meme, simply the "Hyena Pack"

Kurt Warner broke it down really well on his YouTube channel. He showed a play where Shaq ran in and pushed the center to his right and then someone else came in around him. They are creating opportunities for one another to come thru without resistance. Shaq’s whole purpose on that play was to free up his teammate. That’s why you hear them talk about their teammates being unselfish.

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

Hmmmm. Could that be a name for this defense.  I know there are Snow Wolves...

Howabout the "Snow Hyenas"? Or, giving up the fun Snow meme, simply the "Hyena Pack"

I'm not getting into that debate lol.  All I know is that the only thing that can kill a lion, besides another lion of course, is a pack of hyenas.  

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1