• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are you sold on Matt Rhule?

TheBigKat

Lol,  this thread shows how day to day this forum really is. 

I think give him 1 more year. We definitely have more talent on this roster since he's been here. I like our defense, overall. Honestly we just have a garbage o line and bad QB play. Maybe fire Brady and make him a scape goat? This team is leagues better with mediocre line+QB play. I think its that simple. 

Edited by beckersteen
  • Pie 1

17 minutes ago, beckersteen said:

Lol,  this thread shows how day to day this forum really is. 

I think give him 1 more year. We definitely have more talent on this roster since he's been here. I like our defense, overall. Honestly we just have a garbage o line and bad QB play. Maybe fire Brady and make him a scape goat? This team is leagues better with mediocre line+QB play. I think its that simple. 

You must be new here.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, CRA said:

you can't base things strictly on what a W/L column says. 

Right now, we have two wins against bad teams featuring rookies making their NFL debuts, a backup QB lead AZ team depleted of all their offensive star power, a win over a hurricane displaced NO team that had massive injuries and their coaching staff out with COVID, and an Atl team whose #1 WR walked away from the team the morning of the game and was missing their most productive weapon on the year.  Those are the wins. 

Hard to feel good about those 5 when you really look at them hard.  And all of our losses are basically a highlight reel of poor coaching or play in one aspect or another.

You got to feel good about the direction more so than what the W loss column says.   

I thought you were talking up the D petty hard, like top 5? I tried to give some logic, but you know....

CRA Im pissed too, beyond tired of the tease that is panthers. I just didnt have high hopes at the start and lucky enough to had training to not become a bio-polar shizo when times get tough. I think the whole board needs to calm down, just they are releasing all the emotions on the board and by god thats ______ . 

35 minutes ago, CRA said:

you can't base things strictly on what a W/L column says. 

Right now, we have two wins against bad teams featuring rookies making their NFL debuts, a backup QB lead AZ team depleted of all their offensive star power, a win over a hurricane displaced NO team that had massive injuries and their coaching staff out with COVID, and an Atl team whose #1 WR walked away from the team the morning of the game and was missing their most productive weapon on the year.  Those are the wins. 

Hard to feel good about those 5 when you really look at them hard.  And all of our losses are basically a highlight reel of poor coaching or play in one aspect or another.

You got to feel good about the direction more so than what the W loss column says.   

Yea exactly. I can even take losing so long as we're actually in the game and showing to be a real NFL team and not some Podunk ass bums who can't even execute any basic play at all.

Lots of wins vs Rookies making their first or second start...and also losses vs rookies making one of their first starts or like with Tua he only started 11 total games or w/e it is so not even a season. poo like that.

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You must be new here.

The broad has the worse case of bio-polaress since since 2007. One week we are going to the superbowl and Rhule is the best coach in panther history. 7 days later tank for better pick/we are not winning another game PERIOD & FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!!!! Rhule is fat toad in over his head, not even worthly to be a high school coach. 

I thought by 48 hrs most of the BS would be over, wrong. My 24 hr rule is looking out of date..

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Basbear said:

The broad has the worse case of bio-polaress since since 2007. One week we are going to the superbowl and Rhule is the best coach in panther history. 7 days later tank for better pick/we are not winning another game PERIOD & FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!!!! Rhule is fat toad in over his head, not even worthly to be a high school coach. 

I thought by 48 hrs most of the BS would be over, wrong. My 24 hr rule is looking out of date..

when harry met sally ill have what shes having GIF

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

I thought you were talking up the D petty hard, like top 5? I tried to give some logic, but you know....

CRA Im pissed too, beyond tired of the tease that is panthers. I just didnt have high hopes at the start and lucky enough to had training to not become a bio-polar shizo when times get tough. I think the whole board needs to calm down, just they are releasing all the emotions on the board and by god thats ______ . 

Defenses are weird.  

we have a top 5 D pending the O isn’t imploding on them.  You still have to help a defense be great.   I use the 85 Bears as the example.  They aren’t a historically great D if paired with a O that screws them for 4 quarters. 

It is top 5 caliber in a vacuum IMO in today’s NFL.    It is flawed.  But it is still build to be a top tier D in today’s NFL.  But it’s conditional on the rest of the team. Lot of the Ls have featured the D coming out strong.  O has made that futile, pointless and not taken advantage of the position they were helping put us in.  The rest of the team screwed them.  Philly, NY and even to a point Miami.   Ds eventually fold when asked to be it all. 

Miami - the D forced 3 straight punts to open the game.  Then 4th time they take the field the ball is on the 9 yard line for them to defend.  Defense basically gives up one actual drive in the first half.   And they put points on the board for the team. The FG was the D.  But Miami had 21 on the board.  Even if you have a great D….if you hang them out to dry long enough they will suck.   Defense showed up in the first half.  

I mean a big OL and good rush attack isn’t something they are built to excel against but most teams aren’t bringing that.   You can’t be built to be great at everything.   

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, CRA said:

Defenses are weird.  

we have a top 5 D pending the O isn’t imploding on them.  You still have to help a defense be great.   I use the 85 Bears as the example.  They aren’t a historically great D if paired with a O that screws them for 4 quarters. 

It is top 5 caliber in a vacuum IMO in today’s NFL.    It is flawed.  But it is still build to be a top tier D in today’s NFL.  But it’s conditional on the rest of the team. Lot of the Ls have featured the D coming out strong.  O has made that futile, pointless and not taken advantage of the position they were helping put us in.  The rest of the team screwed them.  Philly, NY and even to a point Miami.   Ds eventually fold when asked to be it all. 

Miami - the D forced 3 straight punts to open the game.  Then 4th time they take the field the ball is on the 9 yard line for them to defend.  Defense basically gives up one actual drive in the first half.   And they put points on the board for the team. The FG was the D.  Even if you have a great D….if you hang them out to dry long enough they will suck. 

I mean a big OL and good rush attack isn’t something they are built to excel against but most teams aren’t bringing that.   You can’t be built to be great at everything.   

If they truly were a top 5 D, you wouldnt need that many words/ifs/whats/etc to prove it. If...(theres that word)....if you want to keep up the "top 5" stuff go for it. Season is not over, i could be off as well....

Personally Im at same spot I was when you and many other were using the top 5, they are around the 12th. Get exposed badly vs true top 10 Offense, they dictate what happens on the field NOT the panthers. I swear without showing my age and knowing the nfl rules are all for scoring, this is not a top 5 defense unit. That means theres no 190 rushing yards, no 600 total yards, no making average QBs look like HOFers, no 8 yards rush per attempt, no yelling at one another on the side-lines, and NO red zone weakness. The offense has nothing to do with the effort, which I thought was weak at times. Sure its demoralizing and such, but be a god dam pro. They are playing like a young talented group, can see the 2022 be in the top 10..maaaaayyybe with some luck(resign reddick, hit on couple vets, etc) they could hit the 5th in a couple stats. Ive seen faaar too many games against top 5 than for it. 

Keep pounding!

Edited by Basbear

Our defense showed flashes of being elite because we have a strong pass rush, and we were showing teams looks they weren't used to dealing with.  However, just like Joe Brady's playbook, teams have figured out how to attack our defense.  Snow is better than Brady (who is the worst OC in the league), but he is still getting it handed to him by NFL level defensive coordinators.  

Talent wise, the most disappointing part of our defense is the interior line.  Derrick Brown was supposed to be a lock, but he doesn't look anything like Kris Jenkins or Star Lotulelei did.

At best, this is a defense built to play with a lead.  But, they are paired with an offense that can't do a thing.

11 minutes ago, Basbear said:

If they truly were a top 5 D, you wouldnt need that many words/ifs/whats/etc to prove it. If...(theres that word)....if you want to keep up the "top 5" stuff go for it. Season is not over, i could be off as well....

Personally Im at same spot I was when you and many other were using the top 5, they are around the 12th. Get exposed badly vs true top 10 Offense, they dictate what happens on the field NOT the panthers. I swear without showing my age and knowing the nfl rules are all for scoring, this is not a top 5 defense unit. That means theres no 190 rushing yards, no 600 total yards, no making average QB look like like HOFers, no 8 yards rush per attempt, no yelling at one another on the side-lines, and NO red zone weakness. The offense has nothing to do with the effort, which I thought was weak at times. Sure its demoralizing and such, but be a god dam pro. They are playing like a young talented group, can see the 2022 be in the top 10..maaaaayyybe with some luck(resign reddick, hit on couple vets, etc) they could hit the 5th in a couple stats. Ive seen faaar too many games against top 5 than for it. 

Keep pounding!

Again, Seattle’s LOB isn’t a historic D paired with Jimmy Clausen.   

and yeah, it takes words to showcase why Philly game and the AZ game….featured the same actual defense.    One game the O allowed them to be great.  One game the O screwing them.  Same caliber D on the display. 

most defenses have holes.  We have them.   But you have to have to talent to exploit it.   In large part though, it is our offense overall more so than the the opponent taking it to our D. 

defense isn’t our problem.  Yeah, it still needs work.  That defense is plenty good enough to contend in the playoffs paired with an actual offense. Which we don’t remotely have. 

21 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Our defense showed flashes of being elite because we have a strong pass rush, and we were showing teams looks they weren't used to dealing with.  However, just like Joe Brady's playbook, teams have figured out how to attack our defense.  Snow is better than Brady (who is the worst OC in the league), but he is still getting it handed to him by NFL level defensive coordinators.  

Talent wise, the most disappointing part of our defense is the interior line.  Derrick Brown was supposed to be a lock, but he doesn't look anything like Kris Jenkins or Star Lotulelei did.

At best, this is a defense built to play with a lead.  But, they are paired with an offense that can't do a thing.

I have noticed a few lines of attack against the panthers. Use their speed against themselves. Force confusion among the DBs. If having success rushing the ball, dont stop and even call the same plays over and over(duh...). Again they look young and play young, seems phil is having troubling getting the adjustments to work on the field when they are needed.

Plus...Im coming with another red hot take ala dont pay CMC in 2019 style. Chinn, brown, burns(at times), YGM(killing me..), recent Djak are playing poorly for what is needed form them. 

Fox, Shaq, Jones, Reddick, Hartsfield, and Burris are doing the best they can. No issues with any of them, just about everyone else is not bring their A game. Too many time have I seen one of this group save a play causes the others had mistakes/poor effort/not where they need to be/etc. 

I like what the way henderson played against the phins, his best game. 

Carter is a bench/top backup/ST only player. Big mistake for the coaching staff to allow perryman to leave while picking Carter.

Roy at least puts out effort and a few plays each game, he played the biggest role in getting a series stopped.

This group badly needs REAL MLBs & LBs. perryman would have made a huge swing in the ++++. Figure out the safetys as well, Chinn is not one. Burris looks beatup after each 12 yard tackle...

Edited by Basbear

On 9/30/2021 at 11:27 AM, TheBigKat said:

I am gladly eating crow on this because I was not sold on Coach Rhule due to:

1) Comes from lower tier college programs, never won anything at either of them and thought his ra ra speech would not translate to the NFL

2) Wasn't sold on his coaching staff, two unknown coordinators with limited to no NFL experience, thought Snow as a guy who the game passed him by

3) Didn't like how he handled Cam, thought to myself how could he run out of town an NFL MVP and not give him a season to prove

4) Didn't believe in all his analytics stuff, thought this guy was a copy of Chip Kelly and his "system"

Well, I am here to say I am wrong. I think Matt Rhule may end of being the best coach in Panthers history. In addition, I give credit to Tepper, it appears he went "The Steelers Way" in finding his version of a young Bill Cowher who will coach this team for 10-15 years. 

You're a Saints fan aren't you?

• Poo 1