• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers Progress (from this era to the next)

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, t96 said:

I wonder too if Sam would be willing to take a decent sized discount re-signing here since we were the catalyst for turning his career around and we took a chance on him after a really terrible early showing with NYJ.

He may, not many do though.

With him, he could look to do a contract similar to Cousins' deal.

3 years 90, all guaranteed....or something like that...knowing he will hit it again at 27/28.

Not expecting him to do it, but sure would be nice.

9 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

3 years 90, all guaranteed....or something like that...knowing he will hit it again at 27/28.

There's really no sample to base it off of though. How many franchise-caliber QBs went from being dogshit on 1 team to franchise-caliber on a new team? Reclamation projects at QB just never work out like Darnold has so far and hopefully continues to. Tannehill may be the closest thing but even he did have some success in Miami.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That would have basically been continuing to do things the Rivera way.

Also pretty much clears up that the whole "David Tepper will pay any price" narrative was always bullsh-t.

Something I want to believe although there's a small part of me that feels there might've been some truth to it. I'm just glad we never pulled the trigger because the damage would've been fatal to the current regime.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

I think of it this way. If we get to that point where we have to talk big numbers on a future contract, then that means our gamble paid off. A good problem to have.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, outlaw4 said:

Something I want to believe although there's a small part of me that feels there might've been some truth to it. I'm just glad we never pulled the trigger because the damage would've been fatal to the current regime.

I think it's possible Tepper would have wanted him (good for business...at least before, you know). But the incorrect perception at the time was that Tepper would have been willing to influence football decisions.

We now know that isn't true.

3 hours ago, t96 said:

I wonder too if Sam would be willing to take a decent sized discount re-signing here since we were the catalyst for turning his career around and we took a chance on him after a really terrible early showing with NYJ.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think it's possible if it's up to Darnold.

Not so sure his agent will be quite so cooperative...unless of course Sam tells him to be.

Gotta find Sam a super model to marry that makes a boatload of money.  Then he can give us a discount like TB did for NE.

• Pie 2

17 hours ago, t96 said:

There's really no sample to base it off of though. How many franchise-caliber QBs went from being dogshit on 1 team to franchise-caliber on a new team? Reclamation projects at QB just never work out like Darnold has so far and hopefully continues to. Tannehill may be the closest thing but even he did have some success in Miami.

I'd say you would have to think think of it more of a Cousins and Jimmy G type situation....IMO.  You thought the talent was there, but weren't sure but you had to gamble because.....quarterback.

Not saying it's going to stay on the rails, but I'm certainly hopeful.  Haven't been that way in a while.

21 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I would have LOVED to have had Watson pre-scandal but I think that asking price would have doomed us to continually field a shitty overall roster floated to hopefully be decent by an elite QB. It would be really tough to build a contender giving up three 1sts and 2nds. That's a LOT of cheap potential talent.

Too steep, especially for a single asset in a game that can end careers in a single snap (no pun intended). Not even counting the eventual scandal, we'd have had a ghost squad of players on the roster in two years that featured no inexpensive new talent and whoever else we could afford for the bloated salary Houston had given Watson.

Sometimes the best blessings are the things you didn't receive. 

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, thefuzz said:

I'd say you would have to think think of it more of a Cousins and Jimmy G type situation....IMO.  You thought the talent was there, but weren't sure but you had to gamble because.....quarterback.

Not saying it's going to stay on the rails, but I'm certainly hopeful.  Haven't been that way in a while.

It’s way different though. Cousins actually played very very well in Washington. And Jimmy G never played in New England. Sam did play in NY and he played terribly and put up horrible stats for a starting QB