• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A critique of Darnold through 4 games

LinvilleGorge

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Lottery ticket mentality...

Loser mentality.

Jacksonville Jaguars tried to win this way with a retread at QB and now they have had to disband that entire awesome young defense they had just a few years ago. We are in the same boat with a hungry, young, and fast defense. I just would like for us to have something in place going forward behind Darnold. Because you know as well as I that we could be five years down the road doing this all over again trying to find replacements for Chinn, Burns, Gross-Matos, or trying to get picks for Horn. Go at someone else with your two/three word posts. No wonder some of you all have 20,000 plus posts on here. 

• Beer 2

Just now, NorthTryon said:

Loser mentality.

Jacksonville Jaguars tried to win this way with a retread at QB and now they have had to disband that entire awesome young defense they had just a few years ago. We are in the same boat with a hungry, young, and fast defense. I just would like for us to have something in place going forward behind Darnold. Because you know as well as I that we could be five years down the road doing this all over again trying to find replacements for Chinn, Burns, Gross-Matos, or trying to get picks for Horn. Go at someone else with your two/three word posts. No wonder some of you all have 20,000 plus posts on here. 

In reality, "loser mentality" is acting like the first sign of adversity means everything is wrong and we have to start over.

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Far outplaying my expectations this early in the season, and more than worth the investment.

If he continues to just get a little better, day by day, and we get CMC back...we will have something.

I cannot imagine a single 2nd rounder playing as well as Sam has so far.

That’s the thing though…..he has top of the first round talent, he should be playing that way.  Place your expectations as the third pick overall, nothing less, bet the coaches are.  Judging by Sam’s somber affect in the post game interview, he does as well.  

The discussion should not be if he was worth a second and fourth round picks, but is he worth building your offense around?  Can’t imagine a franchise would let Fields fall in their lap, only to pass him by for Sam if they didn’t feel he had franchise potential, especially if they feel they won’t be selecting as high as the eighth pick again.  Do you think the coaches brought him in as a quality second string QB?  

I get what Linville is saying, it brings valid observations for discussion, and a lot was given up to do that, forget what he said before, the OP is a good discussion post.  

14 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

He threw ONE hospital ball and all of a sudden it's "he throws hospital balls" often apparently.  Jesus Christ...the Takes around here....🙄

You forget the 30 minutes Dan Arnold was here? Not sure your age but I’d talk to a doctor about the memory loss 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

In reality, "loser mentality" is acting like the first sign of adversity means everything is wrong and we have to start over.

Nobody is saying that. What people are saying is if there is a qb worth drafting in the 1st round. Do it! Even if you have to trade up. Because although we all hope Darnold can be that guy there are questions if he can be. He’s in his fourth year. The Andy dalton comp is accurate. The one I’ve thrown up is Alex smith. Where he brought those teams to the playoffs with awesome talent around him and a coach like Andy who could scheme his ass off. Andy knew Alex could only take them so far and took a risk moving up to draft Mahomes. I hope this org takes that chance if Sam can’t be the guy.

Like Sam a lot and you can win with him but can he elevate this team when we need it? So far he hasn’t shown that. And that’s ok. Still has more time. Defense is not gonna play lights out every game and even the elite qbs have off games but this has been a trend with Darnold. Gotta hope he improves. I’ll be rooting for him. And although I’m glad he found his composure in the 4th to throw 2 tds it was also against prevent defense and the cowboys best cover corner taken off the field. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Nobody is saying that. What people are saying is if there is a qb worth drafting in the 1st round. Do it! Even if you have to trade up. Because although we all hope Darnold can be that guy there are questions if he can be. He’s in his fourth year. The Andy dalton comp is accurate. The one I’ve thrown up is Alex smith. Where he brought those teams to the playoffs with awesome talent around him and a coach like Andy who could scheme his ass off. Andy knew Alex could only take them so far and took a risk moving up to draft Mahomes. I hope this org takes that chance if Sam can’t be the guy.

Like Sam a lot and you can win with him but can he elevate this team when we need it? So far he hasn’t shown that. And that’s ok. Still has more time. Defense is not gonna play lights out every game and even the elite qbs have off games but this has been a trend with Darnold. Gotta hope he improves. I’ll be rooting for him. And although I’m glad he found his composure in the 4th to throw 2 tds it was also against prevent defense and the cowboys best cover corner taken off the field. 

Thinking that four games in our system tells us everything we need to know is absolutely lottery ticket thinking.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, RJK said:

You forget the 30 minutes Dan Arnold was here? Not sure your age but I’d talk to a doctor about the memory loss 

Of course the fact that he threw NO Hospital balls to Dan Arnold has no bearing on your narrative.  You're just full of sh*t like Snake.

And you know what?

The great thing about this recent loss is it reveals more dickheads for me to put on my ignore list.

Have fun.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

How long would it take for you to know that we need to try and upgrade from Darnold?

Way more than four games. Heck, probably most of the season.

I know everybody wants to say they were the first one to call something, but I don't give a sh-t about that silliness. I prefer having the patience to truly see how things play out.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know everybody wants to say they were the first one to call something, but I don't give a sh-t about that silliness. I prefer having the patience to truly see how things play out.

The FULL SEASON is what it would take.

We need to see if it is worth going forward with him at the helm or start the QB Search once again...

Personally, I hope he's worth it 'cause really.....aren't any of you at the Huddle tired of CONSTANTLY looking for a QB?

Edited by glenwo2

3 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

until the panthers decide to fix the oline, it’s probably pointless to critique him

Or at least wait until he doesn't throw for 300 yds and account for 4 TDs, against a team as demonstrably phenomenal as America's Team.

Criticism yesterday might better be directed at the bad tackling by our vaunted Defense.  But I assume they'll get plenty of that from their coaches.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah and thats fair considering we have zero other options right now. But if by the end of the season it’s obvious Darnold can’t elevate the team I hope this staff looks seriously about the qbs coming out next year.