• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A critique of Darnold through 4 games

LinvilleGorge

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's why I went and looked up the stats. I wanted to see if my knee jerk reactions watching games were accurate. The stats suggest they probably were.

What is the comparable subjects??

League wide or players in similar development range and situation..

12 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I would prefer my QB had more passing then running. Not a fan of all these designed runs for Darnold. He is my Cam. He is gonna get hurt. 

As someone who has defended Joe Brady for the last year and a half...

He sucks at scheming up throws in the red-zone.  And I think they have finally realized that, hence why Darnold runs so much down there.  I mean it's gotten to the point where it has got to fall on the OC.  And we just suck at throwing in the redzone.  

At the end of the day, Darnold is the Qb for this year, next year and the foreseeable future; so, critiques of him can be interesting but it changes nothing 

he has been a lot better than I thought he ever could be 

given even an average oline, and he wouldn’t be the problem

IMHO, as implied, up tempo would help him and the whole offense, particularly with cmc out yet again 

the cmc dependency is starting to smack of Cam with this offense 

Cam Erving is wrong… they are the Carolina Christian Maccfreys as Christian makes that atrocious line look better than they are

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1

Just now, WOW!! said:

This is why I don't think that is fair... 

What 24 or younger player in the league on a new team in his 4 game of a new scheme is scoring high Mark's??

So, you want an n=1 study? No thanks. That's not very useful. All QBs includes a whole lot of rookies and other young QBs.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

So, you want an n=1 study? No thanks. That's not very useful. All QBs includes a whole lot of rookies and other young QBs.

And I promise you there should be a grading curve because every player isn't starting from the same starting line...

Do you expect Darnold to be as on point as Russell?? So why should he be compare to him??

In all seriousness, this was a great thread.  A really good critique that I hadn't really realized.

This is going to sound weird, but I think the main issue that might be contributing to it is that I think in a lot of ways, Darnold still lacks confidence.  Like, I don't think he realizes how good his arm is.  And so when he has time in the pocket, it's like he is constantly second-guessing himself.  It would explain why when he's pressured, he performs better because that is when he just has to play and not think. 

I could be totally off-base, but that is the sense I get.  Darnold is an incredible physical talent, I honestly had no idea how good his arm or legs were.  I know he missed Moore and Anderson downfield, but the way the ball just rips off his hand... it's impressive. I just think he's gotta get more confident in himself and just start firing.

6 minutes ago, Mage said:

As someone who has defended Joe Brady for the last year and a half...

He sucks at scheming up throws in the red-zone.  And I think they have finally realized that, hence why Darnold runs so much down there.  I mean it's gotten to the point where it has got to fall on the OC.  And we just suck at throwing in the redzone.  

That play to DJ was pretty good.. I think this is a give it time situation...

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

And I promise you there should be a grading curve because every player isn't starting from the same starting line...

Do you expect Darnold to be as on point as Russell?? So why should he be compare to him??

It's all QBs. That also includes all the rookie starters, the Andy Daltons of the world, etc. I didn't just cherry pick the future HOFers.