• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for Gilmore

TheSpecialJuan

5 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

lol, that's like saying "Seeing Bitcoin at $50k now makes me wonder more if I should have bought it at $20 ten years ago instead of that McDonald"...

How was Fitt supposed to know that he going to get these guys for at this price?

This.

When deals as good as this one and the Henderson one unexpectedly present themselves… you do it.

20 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Explain to me how this is "win now" mode when the O-line is literally the worst part of this team and the major fact of the woe's this offense has had AND the major reason we lost to Dallas? This line isn't going to hold up the whole season. 

Tell me how getting a 31 year old CB is Win now mode? Like, what am I missing here. 

Point 1 I agree with you on. Point 2 doesn't make any sense. That's the whole purpose of win now mode, getting older vets who can come in and... win now? 

6 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

DJax will have to move to FS. It would be perfect for him I think.

I'd probably rather move Gilmore there and hope it can extend his career of playing at a high level, similar to Charles Woodson when he went to the Packers and moved to Safety

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Or we created a scenario that will likely net us a 3rd or 4th rd comp pick for a 6th

1 minute ago, vorbis said:

bingo. the pick given is a 2023 pick, which just happens to be the same year the Panthers would get a comp pick for Gilmore if he doesn't re-sign this offseason. and yeah, I'd probably put money on that comp pick being higher than a 6th. of course this is dependent on other FA moves the team might make after this year.

I saw this on the Pats board:

A quick point to note: if they had kept him for the rest of the season and let him walk in FA, the best comp pick they could've gotten would've been a 2023 5. [Non-QBs with 10+ seasons aren't eligible for 3s or 4s.]

I don't know if this is true but if so then best we could do is get a 5th, but that's obviously still better than the 6th we gave up and I can't imagine him walking in FA and not netting a 5th or 6th round comp pick. So even if it is a 1 year rental we're getting him for free, really.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

Only one worth trying it with is Bouye. Could be good for both sides. Kareem Jackson extended his career by making that move around age 30. Bouye has the size for it. 

Or Melvin. I forgot about him. I think he is actually the tallest of that group and also the worst at actually playing corner. 

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

And besides, Jaycee Horn is an All-Pro CB in the making.

It's way too early to be making this kind of statement. Horn played three games where he faced two rookies making their first starts and a guy people consider a reclamation project at best. Yeah, Horn is a promising rookie, but that is all he is at this time.

• Poo 1

I love the trade... I see what the front office is doing. they said this entire time thye were trying to acquire CJ even with Horn. I believe they are bringing in Gilmore to see what the defense looks like with a Shutdown Corner (Gilmore... but Horn before injury) with A shadow corner: CJ and a speed corner DJ.

The end of the year, DJ is going to be the priority for re-sign unless Gilmore is just absoutely ridiculous for us. The FO wants to see what a strong secondary does for this team so they can understand their upcoming offseason investments.

• Pie 3