• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for Gilmore

TheSpecialJuan

3 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Not to be a downer, but what this tells me is that Horn is done for the year with his foot injury. Heal up. We'll see you in 2022.

He could come back for the playoffs.

The real question is if the Panthers would want to risk that.  I mean we held out McCaffrey basically all last year and I always felt like he could have played at times.  

I'd actually be really happy if the playoffs rolled around and the Panthers said you know what, yeah we'd love for you to be on the field to help us win but we need to make sure there is no risk of anything getting worse.  We've managed injuries so poorly for so long that it would be a great step in the right direction.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

He's done for the season but if we make the playoffs he's not. 

I just don't see him recovering from this injury, getting himself back into football game shape, AND being a better option than other the other guys we've been adding who will have had the advantage of being fully in the swing of things.

We'll see him in a uniform again in next year's training camp.

• Pie 3

28 minutes ago, t96 said:

I saw this on the Pats board:

I don't know if this is true but if so then best we could do is get a 5th, but that's obviously still better than the 6th we gave up and I can't imagine him walking in FA and not netting a 5th or 6th round comp pick. So even if it is a 1 year rental we're getting him for free, really.

True, we could get a 5th rd comp for Gilmore or if we let DJax walk we could end up with a 3rd or 4th.

Either way, we traded away a 6th in 2023 for a 2 year removed DPOY and a better draft pick unless we decide to keep both. 

• Pie 2

35 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Yeah, fug trying to make the playoffs by sending a sixth round pick for the best corner in the league!

It's more about does this mean Horn might be in trouble long term.

And do I want Gilmore over Djax?

Djax has been playing great and is 6 years younger and Gilmore is coming off PUP

1. This will not be a sign-and trade situation, Gilmore will play out the final year of the contract, with an extension down the road possible depending on how things go.

2. Carolina was an ideal destination for him as he was interested in coming back home.

3. Gilmore is neighbors with our GM and Assistant GM (Dan Morgan).

4. Gilmore is on PUP list and won't be able to start until week 7 vs. Giants

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I just don't see him recovering from this injury, getting himself back into football game shape, AND being a better option than other the other guys we've been adding who will have had the advantage of being fully in the swing of things.

It depends on the recovery but yeah it's definitely a stretch and especially getting back into game shape. Even once he's full healed with it being a leg injury he'll need another 2-3 weeks at least to get back into game shape. I could see him being fully healthy and in game shape by the playoffs IF the recovery goes very smoothly but definitely not something I would bet on. Safer bet is like you said, we'll see him next year.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's young and with surgery broken bones should be healed by January. Kids not going to be out of shape either. He probably could take a year off and still ball out. The likelihood of us making that far is probably less likely.