• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for Gilmore

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Right now I'd say:

1. Horn (hurt)

2. Jackson

3. Gilmore (could easily prove himself to be 1 or 2 and do so very quickly but we just need to see it on the field)

4. Bouye

5. Henderson

4/5 has room to change too

Wow I would say Henderson would be above Bouye but that's my opinion. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, DaddyDarnold said:

So you're plan would be... sit on the team you have, don't try to nab an all-pro corner for basically no return, and hope for the best? 

Marty really does post on this board!

Agree.  I missed the news that a team was planning on releasing an all pro OL.   Apparently,  if it’s not a lineman the FO should just bury their heads in the sand and ignore improvement in other areas.  

I just don’t get the logic in some of these posts.  If there are upgrades available, regardless of position, and at the right price, this front office is looking. If anything this should provide comfort in knowing that they are probably actively trying to work deals that we haven’t even heard about.  Whether or not they turn into anything is another matter but I don’t think people on Mint St. have their feet propped up on the desk watching the clock. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Thing is so we want to resign him to a big contract considering his age? Let’s assume he plays good for us, we cant honestly expect to pay him a big payday at his age. I mean how many CBs play good at his age? Usually they are already done by 30 and Gilmore is older than that. Unless there are plans to make him a safety, I see this as a one year deal. I just don’t see us being a Super Bowl team right now. We are young and have lots of holes. Shouldn’t we keep draft picks and suck so we can draft higher? I’m conflicted. Yes I want our team to compete but I don’t think our team is a Super Bowl winning team right now and we are trading like we are thinking we have a chance at a Super Bowl. 

55 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When you're recovering from a foot injury you're not going to be immediately in football game shape no matter how young and talented you are. His dad played over a decade in the league. He's seen these situations before. He's gonna be in Jaycee's ear on how to handle this. He's not gonna let his son put himself in danger of injury by going out there and playing before he should.

Possible but from a medical standpoint he would be ready in 8 weeks. 

13 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Apparently you don't. Free safety's backup into coverage. Strong safeties stay closer to the box. It's why Chinn is struggling right now at FS. Also you haven't noticed how Jackson's tackling ability has improved. Don't be an idiot.

lol, the football knowledge of the average fan is so sad it's laughable.

To the extent we even have a true "free safety" and "strong safety" designation, it doesn't mean the free safety is always playing coverage and the strong safety is always in the box for the run game. There are plenty of times when either or both safeties have primary run game responsibilities, especially if you have some sort of stunt call or an unusual blitz. Combine that with the fact that Snow likes to bring pressure from all three levels, and you cannot afford to have a safety that cannot hold up against the interior run game. There's a reason why they are putting 200+ pound guys like Burris and Franklin who are traditionally what people think of as "strong safeties" at that spot next to Chinn. They want two guys who can hold up against the run in there.

Here's a good breakdown with easy diagrams of the ways safeties and the nickel have to be able to play primary run fits in the modern 4-2-5: http://www.blitzology.com/2015/11/4-2-5-basics-run-fits-vs-2-back.html 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 2

Someone who knows more about salary cap than me  - please explain.

If this is a one year rental. And we can roll over cap space to next year.

Then we have 6 mill less in cap space next year when we may want to upgrade that o line with a free agent.

right? i have never properly understood the cap rollover rules.

if you can roll over cap space - why ever do a rental - unless you are gunning for the SB?

please help-