• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for Gilmore

TheSpecialJuan

I fuggin luv it! For the first time since I am a Panthers fan (not as long as a lot of you,
I know) I get the feeling that we have a plan, we want to build something and progress. Get better every day. This is fuggin nice!

Two years ago, I would have never dared to dream of having a player of his magnitude traded to the Carolinas. Now it is possible. Good times ahead!

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

If he ends up playing well for us why wouldn't we we?

If he plays to his capabilities he'll be demanding a huge contract, maybe even highest paid CB in the league. Maybe he'll come off that a bit and give us a discount due to being home, based on the social media posts from the wife that have been posted around here, but I kinda doubt that.

And when he's demanding that big of a contract it really just doesn't fit in our salary cap structure right now and we'll still have Horn, Henderson, Jackson and Bouye at corner. 

This is a rental to help us continue to compete this year with Horn's injury, and if he plays well we'll get a comp pick higher than what we traded to get him anyways.

41 minutes ago, t96 said:

If he plays to his capabilities he'll be demanding a huge contract, maybe even highest paid CB in the league. Maybe he'll come off that a bit and give us a discount due to being home, based on the social media posts from the wife that have been posted around here, but I kinda doubt that.

And when he's demanding that big of a contract it really just doesn't fit in our salary cap structure right now and we'll still have Horn, Henderson, Jackson and Bouye at corner. 

This is a rental to help us continue to compete this year with Horn's injury, and if he plays well we'll get a comp pick higher than what we traded to get him anyways.

You are making a lot of assumptions about our salary cap next year which aren't necessarily true. First off new contracts are cap friendly year 1 and even 2. So Gilmore wouldn't be that expensive until 2023 or 2024 if we extend him.   Secondly whether we pay him or not depends on how good he does. If he returns to probowl form of course we will make efforts to pay him. What we have learned is that we need at least 3 corners who can start in this league.  Will Gilmore be a keeper or a one year rental?  Truth is it hasn't been decided at all. But this season will tell us all we need to know

31 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You are making a lot of assumptions about our salary cap next year which aren't necessarily true. First off new contracts are cap friendly year 1 and even 2. So Gilmore wouldn't be that expensive until 2023 or 2024 if we extend him.   Secondly whether we pay him or not depends on how good he does. If he returns to probowl form of course we will make efforts to pay him. What we have learned is that we need at least 3 corners who can start in this league.  Will Gilmore be a keeper or a one year rental?  Truth is it hasn't been decided at all. But this season will tell us all we need to know

I'm not making any assumptions, I'm going based off of the recent reports and what Fitterer has said. There is no chance we sign both Donte and Gilmore to huge deals. We'll have to pick between the two, unless Gilmore takes a hometown discount. Fitterer could be blowing smoke but I believe him when he says extending Donte is a priority. We've got a bunch of contracts coming up -- Burns, Reddick, Darnold?, DJ Moore, Donte, etc. Also need to overhaul part of the OL and that may require some spending. It just doesn't make any sense to tie up so much money in CB by paying both Donte and Gilmore $15M+/yr in addition to Henderson and Horn combining for $10M/yr -- yes they're both on rookie deals which are relatively cheap but as top 10 picks, they're not so low that we can ignore them when looking at cap allocation. 

Also, there's only so much playing time to go around. If we keep Donte for big money, him and Horn would be locked into top 2 roles basically every down players. Nickel CB is a big role too but not every down, Henderson/Bouye can slot in there. CBs after that are merely depth/low-time players and should not have significant cap hits.

• Pie 2