• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for Gilmore

TheSpecialJuan

53 minutes ago, t96 said:

I'm not making any assumptions, I'm going based off of the recent reports and what Fitterer has said. There is no chance we sign both Donte and Gilmore to huge deals. We'll have to pick between the two, unless Gilmore takes a hometown discount. Fitterer could be blowing smoke but I believe him when he says extending Donte is a priority. We've got a bunch of contracts coming up -- Burns, Reddick, Darnold?, DJ Moore, Donte, etc. Also need to overhaul part of the OL and that may require some spending. It just doesn't make any sense to tie up so much money in CB by paying both Donte and Gilmore $15M+/yr in addition to Henderson and Horn combining for $10M/yr -- yes they're both on rookie deals which are relatively cheap but as top 10 picks, they're not so low that we can ignore them when looking at cap allocation. 

Also, there's only so much playing time to go around. If we keep Donte for big money, him and Horn would be locked into top 2 roles basically every down players. Nickel CB is a big role too but not every down, Henderson/Bouye can slot in there. CBs after that are merely depth/low-time players and should not have significant cap hits.

So you think that GMs and coaches actually tell you what they are going to do with personnel? How many times have Rhule or Fitts said positive things and then the player gets traded or waived? How about use some logic. It makes no sense to say that we aren't going to retain this player when you just traded for him and need him to play for you. What Fitts said was that bringing in the last 2 CBs won't affect the Jackson contract. That doesn't mean he may not change his mind if Gilmore balls out and Jackson regressed.

We can sign whoever we want. New Orleans has proven that a cap ceiling can be manipulated a dozen ways. 

You are trying to establish how things will go months from now when things are very fluid and will be. We have a cap guy who worries about all this. I love fans who act like they know what is going to happen based on rumors, news stories and public announcements.  Unless you are an insider you don't have a clue. We all know that, now you need to admit it as well.

• Beer 1

On 10/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, Jon Snow said:

I think that was a foregone conclusion when it was announced he a 3 broken bones in his foot. He was our best corner and he was a rookie.  Missing that long and not being able to workout means he would not be in game shape when he returned. 

He's done for the season. 

On top of that, Horn was a vital piece to our defense. 

• Beer 2

On 10/6/2021 at 2:15 PM, jayboogieman said:

If that's what you want to believe, then so be it. I believe in giving guys a whole season playing before declaring them a boom or bust. As the old saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. And not all great college players make great pros no matter their athleticism or ability.

Sounds luke you're ignoring his pedigree. 

That cool, I understand ya don't want to go out on a limb. Scared of heights,  and the sudden stop at the end of the fall. 

8 hours ago, t96 said:

If he plays to his capabilities he'll be demanding a huge contract, maybe even highest paid CB in the league. Maybe he'll come off that a bit and give us a discount due to being home, based on the social media posts from the wife that have been posted around here, but I kinda doubt that.

And when he's demanding that big of a contract it really just doesn't fit in our salary cap structure right now and we'll still have Horn, Henderson, Jackson and Bouye at corner. 

This is a rental to help us continue to compete this year with Horn's injury, and if he plays well we'll get a comp pick higher than what we traded to get him anyways.

Cbs his age don't get elite contracts. 

Don't be to negative.  

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

Sounds luke you're ignoring his pedigree. 

That cool, I understand ya don't want to go out on a limb. Scared of heights,  and the sudden stop at the end of the fall. 

He's not his dad. He's a rookie that played three games and got injured. It's way too early to claim he's the next great corner.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

On 10/6/2021 at 6:26 PM, Basbear said:

I think you are over thinking this. Break it down simple- 31 yr old former DPOY Gilmore for a 2023 6th. Yes OL,OL, OLOLOLLOLLLOLLOOOLOOLLOOLOLLOL, OL. 31 other teams are looking for OL help, its a league wide issue. Would you feel meh if Finesser traded a future 6th for Von Miller?? They dont need a DE, but is Stephon Gilmore errrr Von fuging Miller. Would you poo poo on that as well? Think of this in simple terms without OL clouds. Besides if Gilmore balls out, they get a 2023 comp 3rd for him.....  

Yup.

We just got the DPOY for 6th rounder 2 years out.  Only on the huddle would they use that to beat the OL dead horse.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Beer 3

On 10/6/2021 at 3:40 PM, Chiefzack said:

Someone explain to me why if he still that good we got him for only a 6th?

Only 15 teams have enough caps space to afford him without restructuring some big contracts.  This is largely a win now move, so of those, most aren't trying to make the playoffs now.

That...

And we really hate the Bucs and wanted to make sure they didn't get him.

• Beer 1

33 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Only 15 teams have enough caps space to afford him without restructuring some big contracts.  This is largely a win now move, so of those, most aren't trying to make the playoffs now.

That...

And we really hate the Bucs and wanted to make sure they didn't get him.

Anytime we can screw over a division opponent I'm all for it.  Especially when we can do it so easily. 

I could get into more of that.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1