• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ikem Ekwonu, NC State

Martin

On 1/11/2022 at 1:20 PM, MechaZain said:

It's Neal > Cross > Ekwonu for me but the pick has to be one of them.  I like them all but Cross's potential is the most exciting.

This is me form weeks ago. I still think its dumb to think the panthers stay at 6th, so I refuse to believe. 

If pickett shows he can throw a NFL ball, its sounding like he will be the 1st QB taken. 

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Ekwonu can play LT or he could move inside to G.  Better than Travelle Wharton, but with the same position flexibility--and it is important if BC can play LT.  Imagine Ekwonu and Moton on the right side---I think we could get a yard on 4th and 1.

This pick would give BC a safety net if he does not work out at LT.  Furthermore, we'd upgrade 2 positions if BC can play LT, but we would not have neglected LT yet again if we have to move BC to LG. 

I hope this is making sense.  We know we have Moton at RT and we know that BC is penciled in as a starter somewhere.  Ekwonu gives us a margin of error if BC fails.  If you draft Cross, BC goes inside that's that.  If you draft Neal, again, you have to move BC inside, and he was not that great (when I watched) as a G.

Linderbaum is an option as well if they think BC can play LT---but there is no margin for error. 

This was rambling but I just see more scenarios / options if we draft Ekwonu and dedicate to the run game like so many successful teams are doing lately (Tennessee, SF, Indy, etc)

This guy gets it.  Drafting Ekwonu dramatically gives us options and upgrades on the left side of our line.  And for cheap.  Lets not be cute and try and trade out but take what the top of the draft gives us.   I would take a version of BC and IE on the left side of the line and let them work things out

Combine (if it happens) should show how to finish the ranking of the 3. If Ekwonu has longer arms and benches more than Neal&Cross.....along with other explosive ones like the ALL important 3 cone. I would change my ranks. I think he will do better than Cross on a few, but not Neal...

• 4 weeks later...

Fellas, Icky will be GONE by #6 unfortunately.  He's steadily moving up boards.  No, not top 10, top FIVE.  Not only that, but I have seen him now #1 overall (no, that's not a typo) and #2 overall.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2022/01/19/2022-nfl-mock-draft-dane-brugler-ikem-ekwonu-north-carolina-state/

Already posted in a different thread...Daniel Jerimiah has him #2 overall.

Edited by 45catfan

10 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Fellas, Icky will be GONE by #6 unfortunately.  He's steadily moving up boards.  No, not top 10, top FIVE.  Not only that, but I have seen him now #1 overall (no, that's not a typo) and #2 overall.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2022/01/19/2022-nfl-mock-draft-dane-brugler-ikem-ekwonu-north-carolina-state/

It will be interesting to see where he does finally get drafted, but let's also remember we are so far away from the draft.  There's the combine, free agency and prodays along the way while national pundits tear every prospect down.

I also fully expect a team to go crazy and move into the top five for weird pick.  I mean, it's the draft, right?  Wouldn't be a fun draft without a bunch of WTF moves!

• Beer 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see three LT go in the top six picks.  It's one of the strengths of this draft and so many teams have a need at that vital position.  

I think the unexpected move will be somebody trading up in the 1st to get Malik Willis.   All it takes is one team to be enamored with his physical skills and charisma to convince themselves he's the next Cam Newton.  

On 2/3/2022 at 9:43 PM, 45catfan said:

Keep in mind that these are projections. Combine and workouts haven't happened yet.

These boards will get more accurate as real scouts start talking to reporters. All the media scouts.....well.....

melkiper.jpg.4f4c3acab7809d9430d3c3119d10d952.jpg

17 hours ago, BlitzMonster said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see three LT go in the top six picks.  It's one of the strengths of this draft and so many teams have a need at that vital position.  

I think the unexpected move will be somebody trading up in the 1st to get Malik Willis.   All it takes is one team to be enamored with his physical skills and charisma to convince themselves he's the next Cam Newton.  

At this point I expect us to trade up to take Pickett as all other 31 teams have him as a later first rounder at best.

That's where I am at.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 1/11/2022 at 9:08 PM, 45catfan said:

This one is even better.  He wants to embarrass these dude's entire family how hard he punks some of them!  Icky is usually good for a post-whistle shove or two just to drive the point home he made you his b!tch on the last play, lol!

OMG that video was great.  What a mauler ! 

I especially like where he pancaked his guy and then took out another defender while the RB ran for a touchdown.   We need OL that play like that.  

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, BlitzMonster said:

OMG that video was great.  What a mauler ! 

I especially like where he pancaked his guy and then took out another defender while the RB ran for a touchdown.   We need OL that play like that.  

He has an attitude that you want in an offensive lineman. 

So he doesn't fit with Matt Rhule's philosophy. Nor does Neal or Cross or Linderbaum. 

We don't want nasty OL. We want "versatile" OL with poor technique and soft AF.

• Flames 4

Ekwonu to the Giants at #5 is becoming super popular in mocks, of course one pick before us (just like last year with Sewell).  The Giants aren't dumb, even though they need a pass rusher and tackle, they know we are desperate for an OT so they wait take the edge rusher after we pick at #7.

• Pie 1